Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #307
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Beyond cool.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #308
Maritime

Drives: 2008 yaris 5dr hatch
Woot. Good on yah.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk
Maritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:26 PM   #309
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Solid work, very well done
Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #310
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Thanks gents!

I had a great day toodling around in the car and went for about 140 km drive. I ran the car almost out of gas and filled up with 91before heading out on the highway. The car runs very well but will need some fueling adjustments, especially in deceleration from about 60 km/h down to about 20 km/h as it runs rich in that range. If I pop it into neutral within that range, it will drop to 18.2:1.

Tune is still on for Saturday morning at 9:30. Tomorrow I'm going to recharge my a/c system. I let out a little too much refrigerant as the low side was a bit high due to the rising temps. It's just a few psi too low to cool.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #311
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Awesome, welcome to the boosted club!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #312
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Any chance of dyno vids when you get it tuned?
Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #313
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Any chance of dyno vids when you get it tuned?
Of course! My plan is to take some clips. Hopefully I don't capture it self-destructing.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 07-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #314
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
SEND IT! lol
Old 07-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #315
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
SEND IT! lol
You'll get video evidence, no matter the outcome.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #316
06YarisRS

All dressed up for tomorrow's hot date...

It got a bath and a coat of paint sealant. I may get the slightly low hanging exhaust tucked up a bit more. There's lots of clearance, but I'm not liking the look that much, honestly.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #317
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Looking good!
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #318
06YarisRS

Dyno Results...

So, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed, however there is definitely potential for more power. My tuner feels that we can get 180+ whp if the boost will go up to 8 psi The tuner feels that my MAF sensor is hindering my performance somewhat. He has suggested that I speak with AEM and ask them their advice on dealing with it. He feels that a resistor may be necessary as the signal may not be clean which is resulting in both intermittent stumbling at idle. It doesn't do it that often and won;t stall, just a hiccup here and there.

I will say that I was hoping for boost in the lower rpm range, but it doesn't really come on until over 5000K. I also maxed out at around 5 psi. So there are some things to investigate there.

Finally, I have learned that automatic transmissions suck for turbos - at least mine. The car pulls really well in second and third, but will likely never be able to see boost in over drive, unless we can do anything to get the boost started at lower rpms, but that may mean a smaller turbo. My tuner feels that the transmission can definitely handle the power generated by around 8 psi.

Anyway, a few pics, before I show the somewhat diasppointing results. On a positive note, though, the car produced 147 WHP at only 4.3 pounds of boost. Should be able to reach my 180 wheel goal when I hit 8 - 8.5 psi.

Getting ready...

Big fan. This is before he moved it closer to the car.

On the 'rolling road'

And, now, no doubt what anyone interested would really like to see... One run netted 155 wph but I didn;t get a pic of that.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 03-10-2021 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #319
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I wouldn't be too disappointed in those numbers. Keep in mind you never had a baseline dyno performed on that same dyno before hand so you cannot actually say how much you gained form it. I know Armstrong posted dyno results, but that was a different dyno and also he has an M/T. A/T's are known to suck power comparably. Chances are you were not sitting anywhere close to the mid 130's whp that Armstrong had and you still got a decent bump in whp from the Turbo.

You now have a starting point to refer against for the future. I am curious how your Butt dyno will find the new set up as this - albeit subjective - will at least give some reference to how it was before to now.

In all honesty 180whp seems a bit on the high side IMO. That would put your around 210-220 BHP which is pretty steep on 91 Octane and your current set up. I would aim for 150-160 WHP on the high end for a reliable daily driven set up.

Do you have a dyno chart at all, I'm curious to see your area under the curve?
Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #320
06YarisRS

Thanks Trevor. I really appreciate your positivity. It's definitely more powerful but I have a strange thing going on. When I kick it down, I see 6 - 7 psi for a brief second, then it drops way down to like 1.5 or 2 psi. The tuner used his own method of monitoring boost. I have a couple thoughts. I wonder if my exhaust is too restrictive with the aftermarket scion xD cat welded in causing back pressure that forces the wastegate open. Or, for some other reason my waste gate is opening. The tuner really feels that there's very likely that the MAF is messing things up.

I am going to take the front off the car and this time connect my pressure tester directly to the compressor inlet and at the pipe entering the valve body. Then I'll test the throttle body for leaks itself.

I was really hoping to see some appreciable boost in the lower rpms, like around 3500 or 4000, not just over 5000. Maybe if I still have a leak, and fix it, I'll see some boost sooner. In the meantime, I'll stay out of boost.

All a little disappointing, but I'll forge forth.

Oh, thought I had a dyno sheet in the stuff he emailed me but I don't see it. I'll follow up on that and post.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-20-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #321
06YarisRS

Trevor, dyno graph, as requested.

I was speaking with my tuner tonight and he said he recalled that I tapped into my vacuum line that has that solenoid in the vacuum line on the upper right side (facing the engine bay from the front) of the engine. He's not familiar with the engine, but wonders if the vacuum supply is being cut off. I'm not so sure that's an issue as my tap into this hose is between the solenoid and the manifold.

Anyway, I'll do a pressure test tomorrow and see if the turbo itself or wastegate has an issue.

This curve is nice and smooth. The first few pulls didn't look like that, trust me. LOL.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-21-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:52 PM   #322
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Didn't this kit claim 90 whp gains on a corolla? For that to be true, you would have to be putting 50whp down before the turbo! Something's off... you'll get it.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #323
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Didn't this kit claim 90 whp gains on a corolla? For that to be true, you would have to be putting 50whp down before the turbo! Something's off... you'll get it.
Yeah, something's definitely off since I'm only getting ~5 psi, and not consistently from what I'm experiencing and what Torque is telling me. Could be a leak, wastegate adjustment, vacuum issue, MAF issue and possibly (but hopefully not), a torque management issue. My tuner believes it's 'fixable' and I should see 180 whp once this is sorted. It still doesn't solve the issue of it being an automatic, LOL! Of course, if I could get some boost in the lower rpm range, then it would work better with the auto. Speaking to other guys that have the kit and the turbokits guys, I should be seeing boost come on around 3500, not 5K. Something is letting the boost go, or something is inhibiting it. And, thanks for the encouragement. I need it. LOL

As an aside, I have a lot more faith in what these engines can handle. After two or three pulls, I had to walk down the road because I couldn't stand hearing my baby scream anymore. LOL. The tuner knows his stuff and he said the car handled it easily. The engine coolant, oil temps and trans temps were all well within safe limits. I also have more faith in my trans. That said, I'll probablly take Trevor's advice and have him tune it in a way that's a balance between performance and reliability. Maybe in the 160 - 170 range.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-21-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #324
06YarisRS

Yaris vacuum system experts, help needed...

I started looking into the way I have my vacuum lines hooked up. Please see pics.I hooked up a low air pressure source to the current setup I have and I could hear air leaking and a strong smell of gas and it would not hold pressure. I don't know if this solenoid (vapour canister purge valve solenoid?) closes when the car is running but it's definitely leaking with my current vacuum line setup and the car not running. Maybe this solenoid only works for vacuum and not boost and maybe I'm getting a boost leak because of this. It air leak does not sound like it's coming from the throttle body, but down below the firewall somewhere. I disconnected that connection at the solenoid and supplied pressured air to the tee, so it's pressurizing to the FIC map sensor and the BOV. It's held a steady 10 psi for a long time. Again, I'm not sure what that solenoid does but it definitely seems to be connected to the fuel system. I am going to try to splice into my brake booster line. Thoughts?

A close up...

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-21-2019 at 11:36 AM.