Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
AEM FIC works in Yaris......Sort of

Well I decided to give it one more try. This time what I did is I conected to 1 input at a time. Here is what works without problems:

TPS Sensor
Injectors
Cam Sensor
Crank Sensor

Problem inputs are:
MAF
O2 Sensor

Right now I have the MAF disconected. With it connected I have a hard starting problem & the car run like shit. The O2 is connect & the car starts, runs & drives fine. The check engine light is on. I checked the code & I am getting the following:

P2239 O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Positive Current Circuit High
P2252 o2 Bank 1 Sensor 1 Negative Current Cuicuit Low

Im assuming that if I disconect the O2 the check engine will go off. Im going to try that later today. I do not have a wideband mounted so I cant tune on the fly. I keep everyone posted on the progress.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
you can't remove the primary O2 sensor like that, its what sends info to the ecu to control fuel, youll be running even more shitty i bet.

But good luck with your project, hopefully it all works out for you
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
cdydjded

Sorry let me clarify, Im going to remove the connecting from the FIC to the O2, Im not removing the O2
Old 05-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

wait i thought this had MAF Clamping and O2 sensor feed? i think its just a matter of wiring you have to figure out with the MAF and O2 sensor
Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
no air/fuel gauge? How can you tell what's happening?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
wait i thought this had MAF Clamping and O2 sensor feed? i think its just a matter of wiring you have to figure out with the MAF and O2 sensor
Yes it does have both features you mentioned, wiring could not be more simple for these features, MAF is a in & out, O2 is a tap. The only thing that comes to mind is that I am connecting to the wrong wires
Old 05-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #7
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
no air/fuel gauge? How can you tell what's happening?
I am using the built in gauges in the FIC, I am able to view injectors %, TPS %/voltage, volts & RPM. I have not modified any fuel or ignition settings. Once I install a air/fuel then I modify fuel & spark. Im just happy I got it to work so far. I guess 5th time is a charm!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
cool man, hope you get it working great. I have a used FI-C for sale
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
cdydjded

I disconnected the connection to the O2 & still have a CEL, I might have screwed up the O2
Old 05-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
does the FIC read the O2 or does it manipulate that signal? Tapping it makes sense for the former.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #11
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
does the FIC read the O2 or does it manipulate that signal? Tapping it makes sense for the former.
Both
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #12
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
just looking at the FIC manual, you used a 1K resistor between the FIC/ECU and the sensor signal as specified in manual? Interesting how the FIC can modify the signal without cutting the wire.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #13
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

I don't mean to say this to sound douchey, because i know you're a nice guy, but you're doing something wrong. If you've never done something like this it might benefit you to let a shop do it and you get to watch. It might be easier to learn with a visual than with a manual.

Trust me, I can fabricate an exhaust system, but you better beleive 100% im bringing it somewhere to do a downpipe.

Keep us updated on your progress and i hope you get everythign connected right
Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
yaris ecu pin out
http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/pr...risControl.pdf
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
I don't mean to say this to sound douchey, because i know you're a nice guy, but you're doing something wrong. If you've never done something like this it might benefit you to let a shop do it and you get to watch. It might be easier to learn with a visual than with a manual.

Trust me, I can fabricate an exhaust system, but you better beleive 100% im bringing it somewhere to do a downpipe.

Keep us updated on your progress and i hope you get everythign connected right
Thanks for you input on "doing something wrong" but I beg to differ. 4 others including myself have tried to get the FIC to work. I have made more progress than the other 3. So what am I doing wrong? Dont assume Iv never done this before, I not a 18 yr old kid, I have over 20 years experience in the performance automotive field. I ran the largest performance shop in Miami. South Florida Performance for 8 yrs & also worked for Dynamic Turbo & Wilson Manifolds. So I think I have a little bit of knowledge. Im not trying to sound "douchey" neither just venting on your comment.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

thats fine, but i mean what are you doing right? How much did you spend on the AEM unit, you're going to need a wideband anyways.

Might as well just get the Greddy E-manage, add a MAP sensor, clamp the MAF to run on MAP sensor you installed. Use a wideband with a narrowband simulator to show the ecu the correct AFR..

Thats it, you tricked the ECU completely, now you can tune it properly, with no CEL at all... the people in Japan have already done it. Chang and 1nZ have both posted on this.

if they can get something as cheap as the greddy e-manage to work. the AEM unit should work like a charm, yet i have always steered away from AEM, even their intakes for that matter, i just can't push myself to buy any of their product...

I guarantee if you sell that unit and do it my way with the money youll end up spending on a wideband, youll make out on top regardless with some $$$
Old 05-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #17
battleversiontc

Drives: 08 vip yaris
mines works fine... did you calibrate anything like the maf voltage the o2 sensor voltages things like that mine runs fine with the maf sensor and starts up fine. i use the aem fic. but check all your connections
mecp masters certified
battleversiontc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #18
cdydjded

thats fine, but i mean what are you doing right?
I got it to work more than Richard, Cali Yaris &1 other person
How much did you spend on the AEM unit,
I am W/D with AEM so it cost me $330.00
you're going to need a wideband anyways.
yes I am well aware of that
Might as well just get the Greddy E-manage, add a MAP sensor, clamp the MAF to run on MAP sensor you installed.
the eManage would have been more money & the Tuner I use is trained & certified by AEM
Use a wideband with a narrowband simulator to show the ecu the correct AFR.. Thats it, you tricked the ECU completely, now you can tune it properly, with no CEL at all... the people in Japan have already done it. Chang and 1nZ have both posted on this.
yes I know it worked for 1NZ, Iv been in contact with him and also can by the EManage Kit he has directly from Greddy for $712.00
if they can get something as cheap as the greddy e-manage to work. the AEM unit should work like a charm, yet i have always steered away from AEM, even their intakes for that matter, i just can't push myself to buy any of their product...
Iv never had a problem with AEM products, been selling AEM since the begining
I guarantee if you sell that unit and do it my way with the money youll end up spending on a wideband, youll make out on top regardless with some $$$
AEM, Greddy, Haltech, Megasquirt all require a wideband wether mounted on the car or a use during a dyno tune & the Greddy set up will be more $$$