Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Smile Newby questions re mods for towing

I have an 07 yaris sedan...everything stock..auto transmission. And I know very little about mechanics, although I am rapidly trying to expand my knowledge of what I have discovered to be a fascinating subject.

I realize that my car will not pull a 5th wheeler, but I would like it to be able to tow more than 700 lbs ...and I don't want to buy a larger vehicle with a larger engine and all that comes with it.

For you Yaris/mechanic experts out there, what kind of towing performance could I reasonably expect to get out of a Yaris, and what kind of modificiations would such performance require? . I am guessing tires, tran cooler, some form of boost, suspension mods?? Not to mention a tow bar... And my budget isn't limitless...

Is 1200-1500 pounds towing weight too much to expect? is 2000 utterly insane?

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated. And once again, I am very much an auto neophyte so don't go too hard on me!!

Thanks very much for any info
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
You want to add new tires, a trans cooler, upgrade suspension, install a hitch, AND buy a turbo?? -- on a limited budget? And I'm assuming you would need to pay someone to install all this?

Anyways, I've read around that the Yaris can tow something like 2,000ish pounds with a braked trailer, and 700ish pounds unbraked. Maybe like 70 pounds of tounge weight max. Would I try either? No way. If you need to tow that much weight -- even just 700 pounds -- you need a bigger vehicle. Don't push your luck.

I wouldn't put more that 200 pounds on my trailer. Because the load + trailer + hitch + receiver and ball = a lot more than just 200 pounds. I figure in total it's equivalent to having 2 adults in my back seat. Oh yea, and I wouldn't tow that much with more than me and a co-pilot in the car.

And this is a hot topic on the boards. Prepare for a flame war about liability, legality, lawsuits and differing manual recommendations...

That's me, fully loaded. I hate stinky trash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gotwheelbase.com.jpg (43.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 9532_142378782880_505172880_2530852_2988_n.jpg (79.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg yo yooooo.jpg (36.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
noraebong

Thanks for your reply. I like my Yaris and was curious as to what would need to be done to enable a Yaris to tow something like a teardrop trailer, or other lightweight camper..or a small sailing dinghy with a couple passengers. I don't intend to install all the mods mentioned in my post..just wondering how far the Yaris envelope could be pushed.
I like the upgrades to your vehicle...sleeper must come in useful on long hauls.couldn't find it on any of the Yaris accessory sites though! ;-)
Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
I just saw this... I'm not even going to bother looking up the towing specs on the Smart, but I can just tell this is a bad idea. The trailer weighs 490 pounds, with 50 pounds of tongue weight. You could get a motorcycle teardrop trailer, some of those are in the 200-350 pound range. A small sailing dinghy you could prolly get away with too, good luck at the boat launch though if it's a steep one haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little Guy Smart.jpg (90.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by noraebong View Post
is 2000 utterly insane?
Yes. However, I am sure that it has been done before. Some factors depend on the type of towing that will be done. 25 miles to a lake is one thing. Pulling a 6% mountain grade is another. 2000 lbs means 10% tongue weight of 200 pounds. Although a Class 1 hitch barely meets those specs, I would get a Class 2 hitch. Extention mirrors would also be needed. As noted, insurance liability would be an issue.

For me, I would pick up a 10 year old truck or SUV to use for towing.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
noraebong

Thanks for all the weigh ins! I bought the Yaris for specific reasons that did not include towing. All my research has brought me to the same conclusions. However, I thought I would post the query on the offchance there might be some relatively inexpensive mods that could enable toowing to a level of that of the Corolla, which is supposed to be 1500 lbs. For anyone interested, I did come across a light weight trailer at http://www.kamparoo.com
I came across someone who said he could pull it (the base version of the trailer) with his Echo.

Thanks again. I think I will stick to hypermiling for now!
Old 11-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #7
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17058
fmicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
noraebong

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post