Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2006, 11:19 PM   #19
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
The best turbo for this car in stock form is a GT22. Good for about 295 WHP. Very efficient to about 14psi.
But as far as cost is concerned I would go with a basic Garret T25, from the old 80's sunbirds. Similar to the 300zx turbo's in the past. Spool up would be nice and very reliable. Very cost effective and can be plumbed much easier than and oversized hybrid like the one on ebay. If you need help getting going let me know. I would be more than happy to lead you in the right direction.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 PM   #20
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Also about intercoolers, on a stock car without any internal modifications to the engine and low boost, there is NO need for external intercooling. It seems a bit backwards to state, but it is true.
Such little boost pressure (5-8 psi), there isn't a need for much of the hardware they try to sell you.
The piping would be eliminated and throttle response would be a tad bit better.
There are better ways to cool the air charge on low PSI setups.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #21
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
There are better ways to cool the air charge on low PSI setups.
such as? water/alcohol injection?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #22
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
such as? water/alcohol injection?
Correct
Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 PM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
Correct
Most interesting...

From how much boost onward can you see a real advantage to using an intercooler?

I'll be sure to follow your progress (bit of a turbo n00b), I am most likely going to go turbo next year, then use and abuse this engine till it's really dead, then swap it...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 PM   #24
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
The VNTs in the CSX-VNT were very similar to Garrett's standard T25 but the special thing was that they featured variable nozzles - small vanes surounding the exhaust turbine. At low turbo speeds, the vanes close to decrease the volume of the housing, causing more rapid acceleration of the compressor for faster spool-up. When it was up to speed the vanes open and increase the airflow, letting the boost level rise. They also took over the function of the wastegate, so in their applications, there is no external wastegate. I'd say they're probably good for about 15 psi, but on the CSX they were set at a maximum of 12 psi. Again... it would be a bit of an involved install and you'd have to build your own controller and put in some new sensors, but it would definately be unique.

Anyway, on to the intercooler thing, at some point, the piping and the size of the intercooler will contribute more complications and lag to your setup than the intercooler is actually helping, I've seen many low psi setups where people just ditch the notion of any kind of cooling, and it works, every setup is different though, and I guess the Yaris world is just going to have to see what works best for us.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 AM   #25
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Most interesting...

From how much boost onward can you see a real advantage to using an intercooler?

I'll be sure to follow your progress (bit of a turbo n00b), I am most likely going to go turbo next year, then use and abuse this engine till it's really dead, then swap it...
It is dependant on turbo manufacturer, wheel efficiency etc. BUT on say a T25, you will need to see 10 psi and above.
Otherwise the alky injection will create a denser mixture without all the need for complicated plumbing and additional weight to be added to the car.
More importantly, these cars were not designed for large front mount intercoolers. Thus, you would be creating a problem with the airflow going to the radiator. It would block 90 percent of the incomming cool charge and may cause overheating and damge to the engine.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 AM   #26
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
there are always custom intercooler setups as well... I've seen some pretty wicked ones, including one that sat at the bottom of the bay and got its cold air from underneath the car
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #27
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82 View Post
there are always custom intercooler setups as well... I've seen some pretty wicked ones, including one that sat at the bottom of the bay and got its cold air from underneath the car
interesting, but better not be any rocks or pebbles on the road to get kicked up!

as for a FMIC on the Yaris, a different front bumper such as the C-ONE looks like it could accomodate one.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 12-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #28
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I dont think placement of an intercooler (provided its not huge) would be a big deal its everything else.
Curious about the intercooler not being a necessity at low boost - we have a turbo volvo that runs at 7.5psi - the lag is horrible but once it spools up it goes like shit. Without the intercooler it supposedly would be a completely different machine, less boost, more heat, more lag.
Maybe someone could give a little advice on that?

Its the complication / price of the FI setups thats driving me toward an engine swap.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #29
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
I've decided to hold out for whatever trd comes up with!
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #30
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz View Post
I dont think placement of an intercooler (provided its not huge) would be a big deal its everything else.
Curious about the intercooler not being a necessity at low boost - we have a turbo volvo that runs at 7.5psi - the lag is horrible but once it spools up it goes like shit. Without the intercooler it supposedly would be a completely different machine, less boost, more heat, more lag.
Maybe someone could give a little advice on that?

Its the complication / price of the FI setups thats driving me toward an engine swap.
The volvo's have VERY restrictive cores. The only reason they run low boost to begin with. The system would have horrible pressure drop data with much more boost.
Don't get me wrong you need intercooling, but not necessarily with a heat exchanger. A chemical cooling agent like alcohol is a much better option.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #31
graywolf_14

Drives: um not a yaris but hopefully
the dodge colt turbo didnt come intercooled. I was going to swap a colt turbo onto my talon with no intercooler to start with just to get into turbos.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote