Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Hossam

Drives: Yaris Sedan 08
Exclamation Help : AUX input in the factory HU

Hello,

Here in Egypt Toyota Yaris is available without AUX input , and as I have Iphone I wanna connect it to the HU .

I have tried FM Modulator but I got poor sound quality so I decide to connect through AUX input , I plug "RCA To AUX" Radioshack cable but when I click in the Source Tab I got only TAPE & Radio .

I just hear what I playing in the iphone in the rear speaker while I exploring FM signals with poor quality

Anyone can advice me How to play Iphone in my Yaris

thanks
Hossam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
probably is an output.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
Hossam

Drives: Yaris Sedan 08
I found cable behind the HU not connected , is this CD Changer interface

Also what about the black jack in the back of HU ?

Can I buy Ipod adapter for car "CD changer to Ipod " ?

what is the available solution ?

thank you all for your reply
Hossam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have a good document on various Toyota radio pinouts, but it doesn't have info on the 16 pin connector that is connected to your radio, nor on the 8 pin round connector. The round one is most likely a CD changer interface, but Toyota hasn't used a round connector for that (that I am aware of) since the 14 pin round one, back in the early 90's.

Is that radio what actually came in your 08? I am very surprised to see tape, rather than CD in an 08.

Is there any label on the radio that indicates who manufactured it for Toyota?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
The Marshall

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-Door, Black
You could always try a Cassette to Line-in adapter. They're quite a bit better than FM transmitters.
The Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
mohamedmohsen2000

Drives: Toyota Corolla 2002
I think i have a better solution for you :)

I have tried it myself in my Toyota corolla's HU, and it worked perfect.
You need to have some electronics' knowledge btw, and ofcourse self-confidence to open your own HU.

They sell the trick at many accessories shops for 100 egyptian pounds !! BASTARDS

I'll tell you how to do it

First, you gotta open your factory HU, and reach the main board where you can see the FM receiver block, and the amplifier block. if you can't reach it easily, Search for the word RF on the side of a large IC, it will probably be made of shiny stainless steel :)

when you find the key ( i mean RF ), the hard part comes.. You should attach it to your power supply cables in your car so that the HU is working, then with a Multimeter set on Current measurement, connect the black wire to the chasis of the HU, and the red one to EACH pin following the RF pin. You should listen a sound ticking in your speakers when you hit the pins of the AUX. You will find 2 ofcourse, as you will be using stereo input. I know it sounds impossible, but you should give it a try, cuz you will LOVE the quality of the sound afterwards. btw, you should be on the FM radio mode when doing all the tests. Now you have 2 pins L+, R+ Just get the Radioshack cable you have bought, cut the RCA ends, and strip the wires, connect the shield of both wires together, and SOLDER them to the chassis of the HU, and the other 2 wires to the L+ and R+ you found. Re-assemble everything back, make sure you haven't caused a short circuit by this connections.. When you are done, turn your HU to FM radio, and then connect your IPOD.. Now you have an AUX in.
If you are asking if you are gonna lose your radio for this AUX connection to work, The answer is NO. Whenever you remove your ipod, the radio will work again at once.

I am sorry i don't have any pictures for this, but I am glad to help anyone who wants to try this out. Believe me guys, you will like it.
mohamedmohsen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Go with the cassette adapter. They cost almost nothing, and plug into your headphone jack on the iphone. Sound is great, and no electronics to worry about.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote