Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #199
OTB

Drives: 2zz MR-2 Spyder
Thanks for this post-I owe you a beer.

I didn't read every page...but I truly feel the DRL setup in this car is dangerous! The DRL's are bright enough to lead the way at night, which allows you to drive off without your tail lights on at night, especially because the speedo lighting looks fine w/o the headlights turned on.

cheers!
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #200
Dadams

Drives: '09 yaris hatchback
quick question before I go ahead and do this... can that relay be re-installed just in case?
Dadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #201
The Limo

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Hi all
DRLs are required by law on all Canadian cars as of the 1990 model year and newer. So if you disable them you could get a ticket.
Transport Canada did testing in the middle 1970's and from the data collected at that time concluded that you had a 30% less chance of having an accident in the daytime if everyone had DRLs. Just for your information.
Roy

Last edited by The Limo; 10-21-2011 at 08:19 PM.
The Limo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #202
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Excellent topic. So many bright people in here.

Since this is a law in Canada and many other reasons like insurance claim, I actually think that having the DRL operating is a good idea, but it definitely needs some modifications IMHO.

They are too bright causing people to think that their headlamps are on.

On Canadian models DRL do not turn off with engine running and parking brake engaged. (which in cold climate if you waiting for someone, you want to have a heater on, bun not necessarily your DRL.

So my first goal
is to figure out how to make DRL dimmer. Which would extend the life of my PIAA headlamp bulbs.

My second goal
would be to manually override them with LED indicator warnning me that they are switched off.

Now I need to figure out from these two posts: Kaya B. said to cut two wires pin 6 and 8. and CTScott. said to cut wire to pin 8 (alternator signal) so I could just put a switch in between. Could any of you gentlemen please share wiring diagram or your findings?

Then I gathered from this threat that DRL are operating on 10 Volts. I did not measure it, but that sounds about right. Maybe knocking the voltage down to 8 Volts or lower may be acceptable. So I need to find out what system is used to lower the voltage and see how can this be modified. Again if there is anybody with wiring diagram or direct answer I would be most obliged.

Cheers,
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #203
KurtRS

Drives: 2005 Echo RS 2D Hatch
I hate day time running lights! Thank you for this thread

I messed around with the green connection or #8 and kept my fog lights and lost my drl

Also replaced the small bulbs in the headlights with red bulbs, and now my little yaris drives around with red eyes :)
KurtRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #204
Ratz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtRS View Post
I hate day time running lights! Thank you for this thread

I messed around with the green connection or #8 and kept my fog lights and lost my drl

Also replaced the small bulbs in the headlights with red bulbs, and now my little yaris drives around with red eyes :)
Sounds nice. Got any photos? Not sure what small bulbs you referring to as only bulb in the headlamps is high and low beam bulb #9003.
I am wondering if you will get the gears from the COPs, as driving with any red lights in the front is illegal. Are you in Niagara ON?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 PM   #205
Dadams

I think the small bulb hes talking about is the parking bulb which is the one one that turns on when your switch your lights on halfway. Ive always wondered what size the bulb was cuase I wanted to replace it with something brighter/whiter but its really not gunna matter once I get my spyder angel eyes in February :)
Old 11-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #206
Dadams

parking lights "small bulb"
(sorry bout the sucky quality its all I could find)

on a regular setup they would be yellow but in kurts situation they would be red instead of blue
I really dont understand why toyota installed them but hey its one more thing to modify :P
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #207
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadams View Post
parking lights "small bulb"
(sorry bout the sucky quality its all I could find)

on a regular setup they would be yellow but in kurts situation they would be red instead of blue
I really dont understand why toyota installed them but hey its one more thing to modify :P
haha, i just did that to my yaris about an hour ago, right after i pulled out the relay. Found two blue lights just sittin' around. I keep driving home from portland without my tail lights on and I had to change that. figured while i was working on it I'd change some bulbs, too :p
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #208
Dadams

definitely adds some aggressiveness to the look Im thinking about hooking the wires to those bulbs to the leds and halos Im getting soon so I can turn on just those or those and my lights
Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #209
Ratz

I like it. Thanks for the picture.

That explains it, as I do not have those small bulbs in my 2011 Sedan headlights.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #210
Dadams

oh sorry should'a asked :P I always forget their are sedans. The only thing I see where I live are the LB's and theyre rare at that
Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #211
mr_miles

I should have some pink super bright LED's laying around that will fit that spot, now that i think about it......i should find them and put them in instead.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #212
Ratz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
I should have some pink super bright LED's laying around that will fit that spot, now that i think about it......i should find them and put them in instead.
Pink?!?! Are you planing to give the car to your daughter or girlfriend?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #213
Dadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratz View Post
Pink?!?! Are you planing to give the car to your daughter or girlfriend?
+1
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #214
mr_miles

Lol, nah. I just like screwing with people. takes a real man to pull off pink, etc etc.

when i get my HID' headlights and fogs, i'm going to get the 30000k pink bulbs for the fogs. Regular HID's for the headlights though.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #215
matthvm

Drives: Yaris
In Nova Scotia you required to have the DRL working as both for safety inspection and to sell the car. Also you are fined for not having your headlights on anytime .Also the insurance can raise your premiums if you do this anywhere in Canada
matthvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #216
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthvm View Post
In Nova Scotia you required to have the DRL working as both for safety inspection and to sell the car. Also you are fined for not having your headlights on anytime .Also the insurance can raise your premiums if you do this anywhere in Canada
indeed. One more strike against canada.