Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Chuckie

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Spoon Rigid Collars NCP91

Check this video out. Spoon makes collars for Vitz/Yaris now. I just installed RZCrew Garage Collars on my Yaris. They make a big differrnce. Theres also another European company selling rigid collars online, (rigidcollars.com) for our cars.
http://youtu.be/zWyUD6UXfog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (10.6 KB, 289 views)
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
catliektheif

Drives: 2010 5 Door
wow thats awesome! interesting video
Old 09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Check this video out. Spoon makes collars for Vitz/Yaris now. I just installed RZCrew Garage Collars on my Yaris. They make a big differrnce. Theres also another European company selling rigid collars online, (rigidcollars.com) for our cars.
http://youtu.be/zWyUD6UXfog
Does your car still have all the stock bushings? Hard to imagine any improvement being felt, or even measured, when you have massive rubber control arm and shock bushings in place - the upper shock mount alone has about a 1/2" of play in it. There is so much flex in the OE suspension, the subframe would be the last thing I would worry about. I also don't like the idea of lifting the body by placing a spacer between it and the subframe.

Interesting in the video... When they compare the two cars the blur on the "after" cars wheels seems to make it look like it was going faster when it hit the block, making the suspension instead of the chassis take the load - it would be easy to synch the videos in post production. Also the tire on the after car seem to deflect a lot more, another indicator of increased speed or lowered tire pressure.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Why are there two threads about this?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Why are there two threads about this?
Sorry bout that. This is more about the Spoon one, so thought it was ok to open another thread.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Does your car still have all the stock bushings? Hard to imagine any improvement being felt, or even measured, when you have massive rubber control arm and shock bushings in place - the upper shock mount alone has about a 1/2" of play in it. There is so much flex in the OE suspension, the subframe would be the last thing I would worry about. I also don't like the idea of lifting the body by placing a spacer between it and the subframe.

Interesting in the video... When they compare the two cars the blur on the "after" cars wheels seems to make it look like it was going faster when it hit the block, making the suspension instead of the chassis take the load - it would be easy to synch the videos in post production. Also the tire on the after car seem to deflect a lot more, another indicator of increased speed or lowered tire pressure.
Yes im stock bushings all around still. My car is fairly new, 5k miles on it. I put the RZRCrew ones two weeks ago. Very obvious and noticeable difference even in my fairly new car. Tighter more solid feel immediately noticeable. Our roads here in the Philippines are sub par, alot of potholes and uneven surface conditions, worse than New Yor City, haha. I could really feel the difference when hitting these surfaces. I used to hear another sound other than just the rubber of the tires on the surfaces. Now, mostly all I hear is the rubber. I notice my car used to rock and wobble a bit just from these surfaces and jolts of acceleration. It doesnt do that anymore. Better handling and steering response. Prior to installation, My car was fully strutted on UR bars minus mid bar and rear upper. H&R springs on stock shocks.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Chuckie

It definetely feels like a more expensive car. My father has an IS 300. Collars bring it closer to that feel. In more expensive cars they dont take as many manufacturing shorcuts. Oh, and ride height is unchanged.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Interesting in the video [...]. Also the tire on the after car seem to deflect a lot more, another indicator of increased speed or lowered tire pressure.
I did notice that the tire in the "after" shot looked under-inflated. I guess I'm not alone on this...
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:

QFT.

Echo's don't have this collar, but Jason's right on point - the factory suspension has way more flex than any positive effect this would ever have...
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Are you able to get these garm i went to the website they dont have shipping to us
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #11
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
QFT.

Echo's don't have this collar, but Jason's right on point - the factory suspension has way more flex than any positive effect this would ever have...
True, but your'e dealing with two fairly independent systems. Like stated in the video, on race cars, these areas where the bolts are that connect the body to the subframe, these parts are actually welded. Its not really the suspension its working on but rather the connection of the engine, transmission and suspension to the subframe which is a rather lose and you can say primative connection on alot of non luxury or more expensive sports cars. The effect of play in the stock suspension is independent of of the effect of rigid collars since they are separate areas in a cars makeup. Thats like saying if you add a front upper strut bar, there would be no positive effect unless a rear strut bar were added as well.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #12
Chuckie

Note: I have the UR front lower 4 point stress bar. Apparently, these are four of the bolts that connect the body to the subframe. The collars go in first and strut bar slaps on after.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #13
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Are you able to get these garm i went to the website they dont have shipping to us
Hope youre able to hook up with a set. Just FYI, this site in Europe is selling the rear collars online. Price is in Brittish pounds. Although there are six more that go in the front of the car. http://www.rigidcollar.com/index.php...cp91-rear.html

Also check RZRCrewgarage.com in Singapore. They make em too for many makes and models. Allthough they dont look as high tech and great as the Spoon.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
I have had a similar setup installed in Thailand.
They are made of aluminum, machined to replicate Spoon's.
Copper grease was also applied to prevent seizure.

I can confirm it has a noticeable effect on my Yaris.
The car feels 'heavier' -- 'more European-ish'
Front caster angles were also increased, due to change in subframe position.

I'll say it's pretty best bang for the buck mod.
I paid for just approx. US$80 here. (They have service life of 3 years, however.)

Last edited by Mittelklasse; 01-26-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Sure, or we can make them.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
That play is how caster is corrected during an alignment, as the top of the strut is fixed in place and has no adjustment.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Chuckie

This is how the rear collars look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (36.2 KB, 205 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #18
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelklasse View Post
I have had a similar setup installed in Thailand.
They are made of aluminum, machined to replicate Spoon's.
Copper grease was also applied to prevent seizure.

I can confirm it has a noticeable effect on our Yaris.
The car feels 'heavier' -- 'more European-ish'
Front caster angles were also increased, due to change in subframe position.

I'll say it's pretty best bang for the buck mod.
I paid for just approx. US$80 here. (They have service life of 3 years, however.)
I felt my car heavier too right after install. Its deceiving because they weigh close to nothing. ** The Spoon ones supposedly last forever.