Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
bf1120

Drives: Vitz
Tire chains legal or illegal

I am wondering can we use tire chains in Vancouver because huge snow outside. I saw the cops had that too. I want to get one for my Yairs.
bf1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
should check your local transportation office....or call the DMV....or whatever its called out there....they should know
Old 12-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Likely not legal for regular driving. Getting unstuck perhaps.
You'd likely not enjoy them much once you experienced them. Certainly not suitable for highway use. Crawling about town maybe.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Tiddlygoose

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Sedan SI
If you need to use chains, you need to stay the heck home and leave the roads open for the snow removal people.

Just my opinion...

I run Blizzaks and generally go anywhere I want... unless the snow is too deep of course.
Tiddlygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Chains are designed for emergency use. I used to plow roads and highways and we would have to "chain up" ...... the sooner you could get off the chains the better. They wear VERY fast and break. Once you have a break it will trash your fender and other parts.

Spider Spikes are being used by Bailout and others (use search) and they are easier to use, install and remove.

Removal of the tire chains is really the key.

Are you running 4 quality snow tires?

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
omg... there are barely any snow in vancouver.

BC gets the warm chill from the pacific ocean..
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Doug007

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
Chains

Wow - I watched the Seahawks game Sunday evening and saw the snow coming down pretty hard, but didn't realize that the storm had also hit BC. In CA, we have pretty strict laws on chain use. Typically you must use chains unless you have 4 wheel drive with snows on all wheels. In Nevada, snows on all wheels whether 4X4 or 4X2 is allowed without chains. Nevada DOT assumes people are responsible for their actions, which I endorse. Spending 40+ miles on chains or Spikes-Spiders isn't all that fun, particulary when conditions really don't warrant. Here's a picture when conditions definitely warranted their use! (Truckee, CA)

Daytime Running Lights
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm
Doug007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug007 View Post
Wow - I watched the Seahawks game Sunday evening and saw the snow coming down pretty hard, but didn't realize that the storm had also hit BC. In CA, we have pretty strict laws on chain use. Typically you must use chains unless you have 4 wheel drive with snows on all wheels. In Nevada, snows on all wheels whether 4X4 or 4X2 is allowed without chains. Nevada DOT assumes people are responsible for their actions, which I endorse. Spending 40+ miles on chains or Spikes-Spiders isn't all that fun, particulary when conditions really don't warrant. Here's a picture when conditions definitely warranted their use! (Truckee, CA)

LOL really? We've gotten more snow than that this year and I've never used chains before (probably because they are illegal to use here unless you are a plow or offroading). I just have 4 quality snow tires and I've never been stuck once.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
here in wisconsin we have gotten more snow than that and i still have the 18 inch rims on.
smofskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
chains are for wussies