Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Chuckie

Drives: 2011 Yaris Hatchback
Dastek Unichip Version Q

Just got this a few weeks ago from a friend who had it in his Ford Focus. Didn't work to well on his automatic tranny so I bought it from him. This is a popular chip here in the Philippines as it is universal and there's a shop that deals them and tunes them very well. There have been many dyno charts with this also specifically with Yaris 1NZ-FE. 9-10 WHP gain, 9-10 lbs torque gain. Have yet to install it since Ive been waiting for an NST Crank pulley to arrive from stateside; which arrived recently so Ill be installing this soon after the pulley. I can post a dyno chart when I get it done..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unichip-Q+-v2.jpg (22.9 KB, 178 views)
Chuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Hey Chuckie,

That's really nice that you would take the time and expense to do before and after dyno runs and share the information with the good folk here.

Thanks, man...

Greg
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
Hey Chuckie,

That's really nice that you would take the time and expense to do before and after dyno runs and share the information with the good folk here.

Thanks, man...

Greg
Hey Greg…,

Ya.. its no problem. When they install the chip, they're gonna have to tune it on a dyno. And the charts are all included in the installation.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Chuckie

Here is one chart.. But its not my car. Purple line is before; with K&N CAI and Hotpipes Local Headers..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dyno Dastek Unichip Yaris.jpg (114.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 12-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I had a UniChip in my Scion tC; it came with the Turbonetics kit. No one had the license to tune the car with that chip -- good to know you have tuners where you are that can do it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Do those Unichip able to over-write the engine ecu fuel map permanently?

In the past from what i heard is that after the tuning, you will be able to feel the gain on power and torque. After couple of weeks, the engine will re-learn and adjust the fuel map to over-write the Unichip map and therefore the power & torque will be back to square/stock one.

Is that true?
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo165 View Post

In the past from what i heard is that after the tuning, you will be able to feel the gain on power and torque. After couple of weeks, the engine will re-learn and adjust the fuel map to over-write the Unichip map and therefore the power & torque will be back to square/stock one.

Is that true?
It simply is a piggyback that modifies the crank signal (to adjust timing) and MAF signal (to adjust fuel) to the ECM. The ECM will still see the output changes via the AFR sensor and will eventually trim out the changes.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Chuckie

^^^ Its I widely used chip here on a lot of different makes and models. There have been no issues of the settings returning to stock while the chip is installed and tuned. As soon as the chip is installed on to the ECU and tuned, the ECU will continue to take orders from it. Once it is removed, everything goes back to stock.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Chuckie

Quote:

Is that true?
As long as it is installed, it overwrites whichever ECU setting. The only time it returns to stock is if it is tuned to stock or removed..
Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Chuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It simply is a piggyback that modifies the crank signal (to adjust timing) and MAF signal (to adjust fuel) to the ECM. The ECM will still see the output changes via the AFR sensor and will eventually trim out the changes.
Changes are permanent as long chip is installed..
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Chuckie

Quote:

Is that true?
Thats kinda like a myth thats been proven wrong for years here. Its not too smart for a company to design a chip that will be simply overridden by AF sensors. What would be the point then for 225 USD chip?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
Thats kinda like a myth thats been proven wrong for years here. Its not too smart for a company to design a chip that will be simply overridden by AF sensors. What would be the point then for 225 USD chip?
Your Asian market cars have different ECMs than the US market ones.

The US market ones aggressively maintain stoich (14.7 AFR) to comply with our emissions standards. There are many devices that can be purchased for $50 to $500 that promise power and economy gains, but all that I have seen tested have failed to deliver.

$225 would be far better spent on a used AEM F/IC, which at least has the ability to modify the output of the AFR sensor to fool the ECM into thinking that it is running at stoich, while the actual AFR is adjusted.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
Chuckie

Quote:
Your Asian market cars have different ECMs than the US market ones.

The US market ones aggressively maintain stoich (14.7 AFR) to comply with our emissions standards. There are many devices that can be purchased for $50 to $500 that promise power and economy gains, but all that I have seen tested have failed to deliver.

$225 would be far better spent on a used AEM F/IC, which at least has the ability to modify the output of the AFR sensor to fool the ECM into thinking that it is running at stoich, while the actual AFR is adjusted.
Oh I see../ Maybe the Dastek unit is capable of ' modifying the output of the AFR sensor '; or it may have some function built in that would achieve the same result. The shop that deals them here has been using them on everything from SUV's, pickups, European cars, Japanese cars, to Mustangs. They all maintain the tuned settings unless removed or retuned. Gains in power and mileage are retained.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Chuckie

^^^ Oh sorry, I forgot about the stock AFR setting you mentioned on U.S ECMs due to emission standards. That would make a difference. Unless there is a function in the Dastek unit to override even that if at all possible. The company stresses the fact that its a lot more than a chip; like an onboard computer or an ECM/ECU in itself in ways.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #15
Chuckie

^^ Im pretty sure the Chevys and Fords being sold here are to U.S specs. (not 100% sure) - no problems retaining gains after tuning on them here.

I think one of the main problems of using this unit in the United States is finding a tuner as CaliYaris mentioned. Here, there is only one shop that is trained, capable and *licensed to do the Dastek units.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Not all vehicle manufacturers are as aggressive as Toyota with maintaining the AFR. With my supercharged Yaris, even after installing an AEM F/IC, I was noticing that my AFRs under boost would go more and more lean over time (weeks of driving). It was not until I adjusted the AFR sensor input to the ECM that I was able to maintain the desired enrichment under boost.

When one of these devices gets installed it can function perfectly to the user for a period of time, but unless the user monitors the AFR of the vehicle they will likely not notice the ECM gradually pulling fuel back away.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #17
Chuckie

Quote:
Not all vehicle manufacturers are as aggressive as Toyota with maintaining the AFR. With my supercharged Yaris, even after installing an AEM F/IC, I was noticing that my AFRs under boost would go more and more lean over time (weeks of driving). It was not until I adjusted the AFR sensor input to the ECM that I was able to maintain the desired enrichment under boost.

When one of these devices gets installed it can function perfectly to the user for a period of time, but unless the user monitors the AFR of the vehicle they will likely not notice the ECM gradually pulling fuel back away.
I see...
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Even my 97 tercel suffers from an overly aggressive ecu. Its a toyota thing

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX