Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Hobbies - Other Interests

I was doing some housekeeping on my computer and came across some pics. Figured I post some in case there are any flight sim enthusiasts on the site. Before I got more into cars, I did a lot of flightsimming. After virtually flying the global skies, I decided to try my hand at developing some scenery. Microsoft Flight Simulator was open-sourced enough to allow for considerable third-party development. Some of the add-on aircraft I bought were amazingly compex and came with actual operations manuals - virtually every system modeled. My mainstay for flying was a Boeing 767.

I worked with a couple other guys, one of which was my coding guy and he did most of the effects and coding needed to make seasonal ground polygons work among a bunch of other really complicated stuff. Although most of the sceneries he and I created were freeware, we did do one project that was payware. The scenery was the culmination of about 18 months work and 1000s of pics sent to me by a Westjet captain out of Calgary International. He was basically my project advisor. Everything you see on the airfield proper was created with a 3-D modeling program and all textures for the buildings and ground polygons were either actual doctored digital photos or made from stratch in Photoshop. The aircraft in the photos are low resolution AI air traffic.

Some of scenery development groups out there make this stuff look cartoonish in comparison. It's really amazing what can be done.

I hope to get back into simming some day again and my son has started to develop an interest.

Here are a couple from another scenery, Calgary Springbank.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-08-2018 at 03:34 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Dude, that's awesome!
Leegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Dude, that's awesome!
Thanks Leegamer. If interested, check out the quality in some of these higher-end sceneries by the pros.

http://www.flytampa.org/eham.html

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_kclt.html

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
those are very pretty, what do you do with them? do you only do airports? have you thought of getting into video game design? (other than flight simulator)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Nice! I spent far too many hours in MS Flight Simulator and Flight Unlimited II back in the day... Too bad I don't have the time for that anymore :(

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
those are very pretty, what do you do with them? do you only do airports? have you thought of getting into video game design? (other than flight simulator)
All the sceneries were uploaded to flightsim sites, namely avsim and flightsim.com. Yes, only airports but I did a few aircraft liveries. I never really had any interest in game development.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Nice! I spent far too many hours in MS Flight Simulator and Flight Unlimited II back in the day... Too bad I don't have the time for that anymore :(
I LOVED FU2. Wish it had been expanded to cover more territory though. The flight dynamics (yaw modeling absolutely ruled!), performance- on mid level hardware - blew MSFS out of the water. And those rain effects!

Something we always had to be cognizant of in design - especially with larger sceneries- was keeping polygon counts/ 3D model complexity and texture sizes low to facilitate good performance. MSFS's coding engine sucked, even after they went XML in FSX. It would require a beast of a gaming machine to run it with any addons and weather, whereas FU2 would run quite respectably on a Pentium 4. Lol I usually had pretty up to date gear but I was never 100% satisfied with the way the MSFS series ran. Then again, I used heavy addon aircraft, secnery and weather engines.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-15-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I LOVED FU2. Wish it had been expanded to cover more territory though. The flight dynamics (yaw modeling absolutely ruled!), performance- on mid level hardware - blew MSFS out of the water. And those rain effects!

Something we always had to be cognizant of in design - especially with larger sceneries- was keeping polygon counts/ 3D model complexity and texture sizes low to facilitate good performance. MSFS's coding engine sucked, even after they went XML in FSX. It would require a beast of a gaming machine to run it with any addons and weather, whereas FU2 would run quite respectably on a Pentium 4. Lol I usually had pretty up to date gear but I was never 100% satisfied with the way the MSFS series ran. Then again, I used heavy addon aircraft, secnery and weather engines.
i liked crashing my plane into the ground.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
i liked crashing my plane into the ground.
Yeah, except that they didn't have crash modeling. Microsoft had to sign an agreement with Boeing, Cessna, Raytheon etc promising not to 'virtually' explode their planes. So, I guess if you liked bouncing off the ground and calling it a crash, more power to ya. Then again, you could download one of the few addons that made the plane turn into a fireball on impact. Most of those were removed from the flightsim sites, for obvious reasons.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Yeah, except that they didn't have crash modeling. Microsoft had to sign an agreement with Boeing, Cessna, Raytheon etc promising not to 'virtually' explode their planes. So, I guess if you liked bouncing off the ground and calling it a crash, more power to ya. Then again, you could download one of the few addons that made the plane turn into a fireball on impact. Most of those were removed from the flightsim sites, for obvious reasons.
That's why I loved Flight Unlimited II, I could take a Cessna as high as it can go, dive until it reaches some crazy speed, then pull up, and leave the wings behind me somewhere

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 11-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
... dive until it reaches some crazy speed, then pull up, and leave the wings behind me somewhere
AKA, turning the plane into a lawn dart. The Fairchild Metro Liner 3 had that nickname. I knew a guy that flew one and he even called it that. LOL

Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I play VRC Pro these days, and on other days, I drive actual RC buggy

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I play VRC Pro these days, and on other days, I drive actual RC buggy

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Checked that out. Looks really cool! I had a brief stint with RC planes. I had a couple buddies that were really good at flying them. I built a trainer (Sierra something), high wing config. I got pretty good at 'high' altitude patterns, but totalled it on my first takeoff. I didn't apply enough power, one wing stalled and it cartwheeled to its death. The upside is that some kid with almost no money in our RC club got an engine, servos, landing gear and a Futaba 4-channel radio for chump change.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:

I used to just sit on the tarmac in the rain and listen to it plink plink plink on the fuselage :D Loved that game too, it's one big reason I want to visit San Francisco!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 11-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #15
06YarisRS

Quote:
I used to just sit on the tarmac in the rain and listen to it plink plink plink on the fuselage :D Loved that game too, it's one big reason I want to visit San Francisco!
Yup, Flight Unlimited was a fantastic series, for sure. I had high hopes that the title would be developed more but I don't think the developer deemed the project to be profitable. I liked the graphics, flight modeling, ATC etc and although these were superior, IMO, to the MSFS series, the MSFS series did have more going for it, especially in terms of being open-sourced and encourging of 3rd party development. The Flight Unlimited series was destined to be more of a 'game', whereas the MSFS series was more of a 'simulator'. I did buy FSX, but continued to use FS9 for years after FSX's release, mainly due to the third part addons.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #16
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara View Post
Man, you have am awesome hobby!!! My hobby is just gym training and cooking...
Missed this. Yes, it was great fun. I love cooking too. My younger brother is trained as a chef, my mother made sure all her boys were well familiar with a kitchen. Asian and Greek food are two of my favs.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #17
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Flight sim, schlight schim, this is just good ol' video gaming to me lol.

I do plenty of gaming. Overwatch, PUBG, PUBG Mobile, Forza 7, Forza Horizon 4 and COD Black Ops 4 are a few of the titles in my current rotation.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
I just got back into 1/24 scale models after my wife suggested I needed a hobby. I already had a couple Tamiya kits so it wasn't that expensive to get going! I'm not the most skilled(yet), but it's just something to do in the cold winter months on my days off.

This is my first one- a Castrol Tom's Supra GT. Obviously, I've still got a little ways to go. I've got a Nissan 300zx still in the box for when this one's finished. I use Tamiya spray lacquer and primer for the shells and their liquid acrylics for the detail work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (434.6 KB, 126 views)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote