Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2007, 12:58 AM   #2
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Basic FE

Basic FE:

1) Slow down, and never speed. The faster you travel the more the air resists your vehicle, and the more fuel your engine needs to use in order to keep moving forward at the same velocity (speed). There is a marked increase in air resistance above 55 MPH, and a drastic hit above 65 MPH.

2) Accelerate and brake slowly and steadily, avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops. No one ever got a trophy for getting to the next red light first or getting up to highway speed in the first 200m of an on-ramp, and you can't beat the timing of a stop sign. In the Yaris I try to never let my RPM get above 2,000 unless I need to merge quickly, in which case I allow for 2,200. The only time I get higher than that is on the climbing side of my mountain commute, as once you get into 6% and 7% grades it simply requires more fuel to keep moving.

3) Keep your tires inflated to at least the manufacturers recommendation, or as high as the maximum sidewall rating. This decreases rolling resistance.

4) Keep your vehicle properly tuned. A poorly-running engine will almost always burn more fuel. A failing exhaust system can create more back pressure, making the engine work harder. Etc.

5) Use the smallest, lightest vehicle for the job. In other words, don't take the Suburban to the grocery store if you have a passenger car available.

6) Get the junk out of the trunk. This goes for you as well as for the vehicle. The lighter the vehicle is the less fuel it takes to move it.

7) Run all your errands together, starting with the one furthest from your home. This will allow the engine to stay warm the whole time.

8) The shortest route isn't always the best one. Know the traffic and construction conditions.

9) When not in use remove the camper, bike rack, or any other addition that creates drag.

10) Never drive your vehicle hard before it warms up, and never idle it to warm it up. The Yaris offers a low coolant indicator light in the dash panel that let's you know when it is running in its least fuel efficient state. As for idling to warm it up, remember that you're getting exactly ZERO MPG while idling.

11) Never rev the engine. This accomplishes absolutely nothing but extra wear and tear on the engine for no reason, and more fuel burned for no reason.

12) The realities of pumping fuel. The cost of fuel is generally somewhat arbitrary but is statistically higher near the weekend, so try to fuel up in the middle of the week. It is also more expensive around recognized holidays so try to fuel up early or wait the holiday out. Like most other fluids gasoline is more dense when cold, so filling up in the coolest part of the day will net you as much as 1% more fuel for your dollar. Never fill beyond the automatic shut-off as this dumps raw emissions straight into the atmosphere. When automatic shut-off occurs rotate the pump handle 180 degrees (upside down) for a few seconds so that the remaining fuel in the nozzle goes into your tank.

13) "The Myth of Torque", or "Why you don't need 200bhp to pick the kids up and get groceries". One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard is someone making fun of a Yaris owner for a lack of torque in the vehicle. We do not live on a race track or rally course and we do not get a trophy for getting home 3 seconds earlier than our neighbor. The Yaris climbs mountains, merges onto the highway and carries a proper weight load just fine, so there is no need for more torque than the stock engine and transmission offer.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.

Last edited by BailOut; 06-10-2007 at 07:08 PM.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote