Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Handling vs EG Civic

I am asking a lot of questions because $12k is a lot of money to spend and when I buy a car I keep it for at least 15 years. Its a big commitment.

After 15 years I have to get a new car. My 93 Civic is lowered with a Koni suspension and 15" alloy wheels. I live in a hilly area with very curvy roads. The civic just cuts thru the turns and handles like a dream. I am the type of driver that will take a car to its limits not in 150 mph straight aways, but I like 40 mph sharp bends. I have been known to go into the ditch with a car that doesn't grip and handle properly. I grew up on BMW's but they have way to many quality issues so I switched to Honda.

Unfortuantely Honda no longer makes a light (2200 lb) 2-door. So I have been studying the Yaris. Lowered a little with Koni springs/shocks I would imagine the Yaris could be a good handling car, or would I be dissapointed coming from a wishbone car?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
the yaris will never handle exactly like an eg civic, but it can be a fun car.

take a look at my handling thread, it explains a good deal of the suspension geometry.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14026
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
^ yup, a great introduction read

Stock, the cars handle decently. Add good suspension and tires and it's a ton of fun. It is a taller car than your old civic, so it will probably feel quite different, but that's certainly something you can get used to

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Tamago

i personally think a great deal of the "driving security" you feel in your civic will be reduced simply from the un-supportive seats in the yaris. i know it's doing things backwards, but a nice racing seat or celica gts seat would do wonders for the way the car feels.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
my 88 corolla dx had better seats than the yaris does.....
Old 03-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
my 88 corolla dx had better seats than the yaris does.....
lo i had a '90 corolla and i'd have to agree.

miss my 89 mr2 seats. adjustable side bolsters ftw!
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
regal

Never liked what my Civic's seats do to my lower back.

It sounds like the Yaris is a platform with potential, thats mainly what I wanted to know before a drop $12k on a new car. My first cars were BMW's and they handle great but the quality and reliability was always a nightmare. I swear in 15 years my civic never stranded my once. But it needs so much work (all new bushings, wheel bearings, clutch, cylinder head) that it is time for a new car.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Never liked what my Civic's seats do to my lower back.

It sounds like the Yaris is a platform with potential, thats mainly what I wanted to know before a drop $12k on a new car. My first cars were BMW's and they handle great but the quality and reliability was always a nightmare. I swear in 15 years my civic never stranded my once. But it needs so much work (all new bushings, wheel bearings, clutch, cylinder head) that it is time for a new car.
yup, has potential

have you considered a 2yr old scion xA? half the price, same engine, in some ways better, came more "loaded" than the yaris. shorter gears though. it'll feel peppier but won't get your 40mpg except on the highway
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
regal

Yes but I am at the age now where I just don't feel like fixing a car. A two year old scion could potentially have been put thru the ringer by a teenager. I like the idea of a 3 year warranty and I can do all the oil changes and PM's so I can be guaranteed 200k miles. With used cars I have always had good luck, but I don't feel like rolling the dice this time. Plus I just never liked the looks of 4-doors.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Never driven a civic, but with just a sway bar on the yaris, its FUN to drive in the mountains. I can plaster any of my passengers up against the doors with ease :D

edit: can't wait to see what it feels like with TRD shocks and springs
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #11
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
I can plaster any of my passengers up against the doors with ease :D

Thats all I need to know! Going to the dealer to test drive on monday.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #12
Tamago

Quote:
Yes but I am at the age now where I just don't feel like fixing a car. A two year old scion could potentially have been put thru the ringer by a teenager. I like the idea of a 3 year warranty and I can do all the oil changes and PM's so I can be guaranteed 200k miles. With used cars I have always had good luck, but I don't feel like rolling the dice this time. Plus I just never liked the looks of 4-doors.
fyi the xb was the car bought by teenagers.. they avoided the xa like the plague
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Check out this thread for some awesome vids of how this car handles with some basic suspension mods and good rubber :)

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10000

I really recommend this vid from that set http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...nt=MyMovie.flv

Last edited by WeeYari; 03-07-2009 at 02:00 PM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Thats all I need to know! Going to the dealer to test drive on monday.

Thanks
The stock suspension is a little boaty. I doubt they'll have a yaris on the lot with even a sway bar, but if they do test drive that one. That little bar for less than 200 bucks makes a WORLD of difference. I call it my "+15 bar" because I take every turn 15 mph faster than I did before
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #15
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
The stock suspension is a little boaty. I doubt they'll have a yaris on the lot with even a sway bar, but if they do test drive that one. That little bar for less than 200 bucks makes a WORLD of difference. I call it my "+15 bar" because I take every turn 15 mph faster than I did before
imagine what it would be like if you added under carriage braces.....
Old 03-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ View Post
imagine what it would be like if you added under carriage braces.....
and the spaghetti bar!
you nailed it sir.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #17
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
I am asking a lot of questions because $12k is a lot of money to spend and when I buy a car I keep it for at least 15 years. Its a big commitment.

After 15 years I have to get a new car. My 93 Civic is lowered with a Koni suspension and 15" alloy wheels. I live in a hilly area with very curvy roads. The civic just cuts thru the turns and handles like a dream. I am the type of driver that will take a car to its limits not in 150 mph straight aways, but I like 40 mph sharp bends. I have been known to go into the ditch with a car that doesn't grip and handle properly. I grew up on BMW's but they have way to many quality issues so I switched to Honda.

Unfortuantely Honda no longer makes a light (2200 lb) 2-door. So I have been studying the Yaris. Lowered a little with Koni springs/shocks I would imagine the Yaris could be a good handling car, or would I be dissapointed coming from a wishbone car?
maybe i can give sound advice.

I'm a former Truimph TR7 owner (literally a Go Cart - tightest handling car EVER - zero bodyroll and VERY high lateral G's (I had heavier and lower springs than the stock TR7 BTW)), and later a Honda Accura owner (also a tight low car (much more so that your average car - though not as much so as the TR7)).

I HATE BODYROLL - PERIOD. hate loath hate loath hate!

WARNING!!! STOCK YARIS handles like shit WRT to bodyroll. She bobs and weaves all over the interstate above 85 mph, and can't corner worth shit. If you like waterbeds you'll love the Yaris HB.

I installed the TRD springs, shocks and struts 10 days after I bought the Yaris. The stock handling was THAT BAD. I had heard that the TRD suspension would "fix" the handling from this board before I bought the car. and thankfully this website's forum was correct!!

TRD fixed the boaty feel. It she as tight as my TR7? - not quite BUT CLOSE!, and she does handle better than my Accura now. She is the second best handling car I've ever driven ;-). I may end up getting an anti-roll rear bar, but not sure if I need it really.

33,000 miles and very happy with the handling. I did a solid 40mph hearpin cornering on the Rio Grande valley S.H. out of Big Bend (that is one hellashous rollercoaster ride of a hihgway).

As for being a "tall car", yes she is, but that does not seem to matter WRT to handling. With TRD she handles great - like one assumes a low car would. The sole reason the STOCK Yaris handles like shit is due to the weak "americanized" springs/shocks/struts.

you better like feeling every rock/pebble and crack on the highway though - that is the price one pays for a good handling car.

no way around that.

stearing could be better - not sure if that can be improved upon. its too "soft" and over assisted power at slow speed and also not self-centering enough. Both my T7 and Accura had alot better non-power self-centering stearing.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
gaffo

Drives: integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
i personally think a great deal of the "driving security" you feel in your civic will be reduced simply from the un-supportive seats in the yaris. i know it's doing things backwards, but a nice racing seat or celica gts seat would do wonders for the way the car feels.
the seats are bad - zero side support ;-(.

back support is not that great either.

sit up too fookin hight too - like an SUV!!!.............low seats would be better ;-(.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote