Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:01 AM   #37
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
"Watch the tachometer to keep
engine rpm from going into the red
zone."

This was my favorite part, taken from the warning in the automatic section. Tell me, HOW THE FUCK can they say that when our cars don't come with tachometers? makes me want to do something about it.
Well, that manual is for Thailand models which all come with tachometers. You might want to check if it's worded the same in your version of the manual before you start putting fires up asses
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #38
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Well, that manual is for Thailand models which all come with tachometers. You might want to check if it's worded the same in your version of the manual before you start putting fires up asses

yea, that would be embarressing, but I remember I read it when I first got the car and im pretty sure it is worded the same, i just didnt know much back then...and now im thinking they can't say that if it doesnt apply to our cars. Honestly, I think they fucked up the american 3door transmissions and so they decided to take it out..but thats just my opinion :p
Old 03-31-2007, 10:58 AM   #39
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
"Watch the tachometer to keep
engine rpm from going into the red
zone."

This was my favorite part, taken from the warning in the automatic section. Tell me, HOW THE HECK can they say that when our cars don't come with tachometers? makes me want to do something about it.
Our cars do, at least mine did.. but I've got the coupe with the power package, so perhaps thats the difference?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #40
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post

For an A/T, when you hit the + or - selector, the tranny will not necessarily shift the gear UNLESS the tranny revs and the engine revs are happy with each other....this is the same thing when down shifting a manual...to save the clutch, to keep it smooth.

The fact that the A/T's that allow + and - manual gear changes is not responsive is the driver's fault, his ignorance of how to up/down shift an A/T properly...and not the car's fault.
Pavel, you're a retard. When you hit the selector in a manumatic, the transmission shifts THEN, but with a slight lag as the internals get the gears in order. The lag has nothing to do with the rpms already being in sync, it's the same delay no matter how close or far apart they may be. The only difference is how high the engine ultimately revs once the gear change has been completed.

Please don't tell me I'm ignorant of my own car. I'm not some 15 year old highway virgin, and you're obviously not the driving superstar you want us all to believe you are. You've posted nothing but BS in every thread you've participated in, calling everyone but yourself ignorant and mistaken. Don't you have anything better to do than blow smoke up everyone's ass?

I stand by my claim that factory manumatics suck.
~YR
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #41
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
don't waste your breath...these guys may not know what the owners manual says about manually shifting a automatic(let off the gas any time you switch gears), or the inner workings of their transmission, or how it functions, but they are right, and you are wrong. I am just going to leave it at that.

I am still watching this thread hoping that someone can tell me why my explanation of what can happen (when you manually shift automatics frequently) is wrong though...so far I have just gotten hostility and "I have done it so it's ok"...maybe eventually someone that knows what they are talking about will either reafirm what I have said or blow me out of the water showing why my explanation was wrong and why I am stupid.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #42
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
I downshift the auto tranny when i'm in a hurry, and approaching a redlight that might soon turn green. (i am either coasting, or braking when i downshift...sometimes, you dont even need the brake, due to engine braking). This way, when it does turn green, i'm already in the powerband, when its time to take off again. when i downshift, i make sure to the correct gear that corresponds with my speed, as to not redline. i think that as long as you dont downshift into the redline area (which i dont think the car will let you do), you'll be fine.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #43
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
Pavel, you're a retard. When you hit the selector in a manumatic, the transmission shifts THEN, but with a slight lag as the internals get the gears in order. The lag has nothing to do with the rpms already being in sync, it's the same delay no matter how close or far apart they may be. The only difference is how high the engine ultimately revs once the gear change has been completed.

Please don't tell me I'm ignorant of my own car. I'm not some 15 year old highway virgin, and you're obviously not the driving superstar you want us all to believe you are. You've posted nothing but BS in every thread you've participated in, calling everyone but yourself ignorant and mistaken. Don't you have anything better to do than blow smoke up everyone's ass?

I stand by my claim that factory manumatics suck.
~YR
You stand by your claim, even as BMW, Mercedes, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda, Lexus, Toyota, and Honda think shifting AT manually is a good thing?

It seems you're an ignorant country bumbkin and your words only prove that!

So I guess you know more then the big 15 auto makers of the world, right?

You act as though you're a 15 year old driving virgin, whose new found bravado is compensating for a very small.......
Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #44
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
If you (not directed to anyone in particular) want to shift the car yourself, why not just buy a manual transmission? :)

*puts on flame hat*
Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #45
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail View Post
If you (not directed to anyone in particular) want to shift the car yourself, why not just buy a manual transmission? :)

*puts on flame hat*
because sometimes automatic is better when you're talking on the cell phone, or eating, or shaving, reading the paper, etc while driving.

Last edited by PSU Yaris; 04-02-2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #46
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Yaris View Post
because sometimes automatic is better when you're talking on the cell phone, or eating, or shaving, reading the paper, etc while driving.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAH
Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 PM   #47
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by earljail View Post

*puts on flame hat*

Because sometimes we buy cars for reasons beyond our own desires.. The stick was my first choice, but...

1. I commute, a lot.. (auto is a far better tool for that application)
2. Availability, waiting for the stick (along with the body / option package I wanted) would have been a 4 (minimum) week wait.

Do I at times wish there'd been manual transmission available to me, yep.. But that was not the case.. So I make the best of it.
-Peter
Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #48
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I am also baffled by those of you with auto's that want to shift them, it is just silly, and hurting your trans..... you are going to do what you are going to do.... I just don't understand why one would damage such am expensive part of your car on purpose, it is like not ever changing your oil
Old 04-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #49
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
I am also baffled by those of you with auto's that want to shift them, it is just silly, and hurting your trans..... you are going to do what you are going to do.... I just don't understand why one would damage such am expensive part of your car on purpose, it is like not ever changing your oil
i only shove the stupid slushbox into 3rd gear when i go uphills and it's in low rpm in 4th gear. I also shove it into 3rd gear sometimes when going downhill. This wouldn't hurt my car badly would it?
Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #50
Yaris Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
You stand by your claim, even as BMW, Mercedes, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda, Lexus, Toyota, and Honda think shifting AT manually is a good thing?

It seems you're an ignorant country bumbkin and your words only prove that!

So I guess you know more then the big 15 auto makers of the world, right?

You act as though you're a 15 year old driving virgin, whose new found bravado is compensating for a very small.......
I also stand by my belief that you're a retard.

Time and again you are confusing my comments on a manumatic with a standard automatic transmission. I have yet to make ANY comment on a standard auto tranny, yet you insist on quoting scripture from manuals about downshifting standard autos, and how it's supposed to be done.

YES YES YES, automatic transmission are meant to be downshifted manually!!! We get that. It's original purpose is for driving situations that confuse the automatic shifting (such as semi-steep inclines), or for loaded towing, but hell, if you want, downshift the sucker all you want. I don't care, and I honestly don't think it will cause any problem. I routinely kick mine out of overdrive to assist braking all the time.

Now Pavel, let me lay this out for you one more time, so you can understand what I'm saying. In a MANUMANTIC transmission there is a separate shifter area marked with a "+" and a "-". When you move the lever to this area, it forces the automatic to behave more like a manual. To upshift, hit "+", to downshift, hit "-". WHAT I SAID EARLIER was that this style of shifting is pointless for sporty driving, because there is a time lag between hitting the "+" and the actual gear change. It can be done much faster and more efficiently in a manual transmission. SO, for SPORTY driving, a MANUMATIC doesn't make much sense, because the standard auto shifting program included is faster. Granted, I would expect the ones on luxury cars and race cars to be pretty good, but the run-of-the-mill manumatics SUCK.

*whew!* Now, before you reply, read this through at least twice and dwell on it, so you don't make yourself look stupid again. This makes at least twice now you've misread a post and argued about it.

Really, to call someone a "bumpkin", shouldn't you at least be able to spell it first? And "compensating"? Dude, we're in a Yaris forum, or haven't you noticed?

Answer me this: have you even hit your 20's yet? And be honest! I'm genuinely curious.

~YR
Old 04-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #51
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
You have to admit auto boxes have evolved by leaps and bounds over the years, now Lexus has an 8-speed box, and even on our lowly car, there's advanced electronics controlling the whole thing. "Manumatics" are just the natural evolution of the automatic transmission, since a computer unit can tell the gearbox when to shift, why not let the driver give some input too? All it costs is a few extra wires and buttons.

To be honest, there is some use to having a manumatic, it's a lot easier to change gears when needed (when going up a hill, or wanting maximum acceleration, etc), at the press of a button rather than the chance of moving the gearstick down an extra notch by accident. It doesn't make the shifting any faster, there'll always be a lag, and to be honest, the main reason for the whole system is that it looks good and makes people think they're driving a Ferrari or F1 car. And a car that makes its driver feel cool is a car that gets sold.

In a car of our class, auto boxes in any shape and size are not meant for serious sports driving, period. They're all about ease of use, so that pretty much anybody can drive without needing the foot-hand coordination to change gears. And like PSU Yaris said, it lets you concentrate on more important things when you take that boring commute... And what is the result of having a system anyone can drive? More cars are sold.

It does not mean you can't have some fun with it, though! One time, with a friend, we rented a cheapass auto car and put it through the paces, so to speak. Twisty hilly roads, large expanses of packed dirt, etc. I learned a lot from it. You can manually downshift and get the same kind of results as with a manual gearbox, but you gotta move the lever a lot earlier than you think you want to. You can control the whole thing to shift when you want to, how you want to, but your timing has to be completely different to a manual. It can be done, but it just feels weird... And it most likely does shorten the lifespan of the gearbox... What did we care? We were young and dumb and eager to learn, and it wasn't even our car anyway

The highlighted parts represent the way of thinking of the car companies, I think... Nowadays it doesn't really matter what is better, just what sells better. Sad but true.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #52
Yaris Revenge

BIN-GO, eTiMaGo! That was exactly my point all along.

~YR
Old 04-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #53
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
woohoo someone agrees with me *gets tears in his eyes*

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #54
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Again.. This is not really a thread about using the A/T like a manual, It's a thread about dropping out of D and into 3rd entering into turns to bring up the RPM's to put power to the wheels when you need it. All I said was the little car seems to respond to this action very well (as opposed to say my old A/T Cutlass). Using the A/T in this fashion is much like using it to engine brake down a hill, or dropping out of O/D into 3rd to pass up a hill. I'm not starting in 1st and "up-shifting" as I pull away from lights, nor am I "down-shifting" as I come to a stop.

-Peter