Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Automatic for me..
Old 04-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
auto
Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #21
flint_mica_manual

Drives: S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
A few manual drivers think it makes you cooler but it's really just personal preference. Automatics do have a higher resale value if thats important to you. Also, for an automatic transmission, this one shifts nice and overall works very well.
Pfffft. Trolling huh? I'll bite. As a manual driver I must say it *is* cooler. Besides that tho, manual drivers will always drive manual transmissions for several reasons. 1) way better gas mileage -- dealerships will try to say otherwise cause they don't stock them often. 2) control over the engine. If you don't drive a manual then you wouldn't understand what that means under slippery conditions or under unusual driving conditions. 3) reliability. Automatics *will* be in poor condition after 10 years or so. Manuals just don't wear out -- assuming you know how to drive a stick. 4) Resale Value. Take a poll of manual drivers; we would gladly pay extra for a manual transmission -- and as someone who has bought and sold cars. . .people will certainly go out of their way (and pay more) in order to get a manual, for all of the above reasons.

Finally, you're suffering from "stick envy." Stick envy is a Freudian psychoanalysis that refers to the reaction of an automatic driver during their psycho-mobile development to the realization that they do not have a stick. Freud considered this realization a defining moment in the development of driving for automatic owners.

Colloquially, an automatic driver really wants to become a manual driver, so that they can control other automatic drivers. Sad really. Be secure friend.
flint_mica_manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:10 PM   #22
flint_mica_manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina74 View Post
driving school in USA is with auto or manual cars?
Hell no. The good 'ol USA is an automatic driving country. Even the few of us that still do drive manuals don't know how to do it properly. Just check the forums for awhile. I've seen people advocate not engine breaking -- and a lot of people I've seen drive manuals don't do this. Automatics, at least, down shift for you. But coasting in neutral with the clutch engaged is hard on the transmission and breaks -- and poor practice -- besides dangerous. Breaks can overheat and fail doing things like that. Manual driving is a bit of a lost art in the USA -- with the exemption of truckers I suppose.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #23
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint_mica_manual View Post
Pfffft. Trolling huh? I'll bite. As a manual driver I must say it *is* cooler. Besides that tho, manual drivers will always drive manual transmissions for several reasons. 1) way better gas mileage -- dealerships will try to say otherwise cause they don't stock them often. 2) control over the engine. If you don't drive a manual then you wouldn't understand what that means under slippery conditions or under unusual driving conditions. 3) reliability. Automatics *will* be in poor condition after 10 years or so. Manuals just don't wear out -- assuming you know how to drive a stick. 4) Resale Value. Take a poll of manual drivers; we would gladly pay extra for a manual transmission -- and as someone who has bought and sold cars. . .people will certainly go out of their way (and pay more) in order to get a manual, for all of the above reasons.

Finally, you're suffering from "stick envy." Stick envy is a Freudian psychoanalysis that refers to the reaction of an automatic driver during their psycho-mobile development to the realization that they do not have a stick. Freud considered this realization a defining moment in the development of driving for automatic owners.

Colloquially, an automatic driver really wants to become a manual driver, so that they can control other automatic drivers. Sad really. Be secure friend.

I live in the city. I am not sure if you have ever seen or been in a real city but driving a manual isn't so "cool" in stop and go. I hit about 20 lights on the way to work and drive in traffic the whole way in town. No stick envy here bud. I am not knocking anyone who prefers a stick but -not- my choice. My Mom for example prefers manual transmission. Some people feel they have more control over the engine. You can also control the engine with something called a gas pedal. You drive like a dumbass then sure your gas mileage will suffer either way.

Don't come to Yaris World with a shit attitude.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #24
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I've got my manual tranny toy's, but gettin old enough now for the daily driver to be auto.....Seattle cured me with 15 min. to work and 1hr to home with my Fiat---5 spd gets old quick!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
flint_mica_manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post

Don't come to Yaris World with a shit attitude.
Real city? I've driven in Oklahoma city, Dallas, Salt Lake City, and Indianapolis amongst others-- all of which are in the top ten big cities and known for shitty traffic -- never drove in Atlanta tho -- that one I understand has some real problems. But I digress. Obviously pseudo-Freudian humor is lost on you.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #26
Typer73
Tired of the Stars!

Drives: '07 Meteorite LB
I've driven both, but my yaris is an auto.

My thoughts are if I have to get by with one-legged driving for whatever reason, I'm good to go.

Besides, as far as cost & breakdown, I've never had any problems with an auto tranny, but I've spent a small fortune on clutches, pressure plates & throw-out bearings.
Typer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #27
Basscat

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
I've got an auto in my boat-puller SUV, but I much prefer a manual for my daily driver. Granted, I'm not in a city, and a few miles of downshifting into the curves and down the hills on the way to work is much more fun than a city commute with a clutch. Depends a lot on one's environment, for sure.
Basscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #28
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
I got the slushbox (auto) for my wife. I've tried several times with a few cars to teach her standard but it's a lost cause. I prefer standard and will buy one whenever I get a chance. I learned to drive stick on this:
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:53 AM   #29
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Drives: Yaris 1.0 Sol 5 doors liftback
Send a message via MSN to Sabina74
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
I've got my manual tranny toy's, but gettin old enough now for the daily driver to be auto.....Seattle cured me with 15 min. to work and 1hr to home with my Fiat---5 spd gets old quick!

did you have a fiat?
which fiat?
Sabina74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #30
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Had a '71 124 Sport Coupe back in the 70's.....and an '81 X19 while in Seattle during the '80's....both good cars.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #31
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Had a '71 124 Sport Coupe back in the 70's.....and an '81 X19 while in Seattle during the '80's....both good cars.

X19 was fantastic! Expecially the one sold in USA.
I didn't know 124 sport was available in the USA!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:53 AM   #32
aephilli

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
Different trannys for different uses, auto for mud bogging trucks, manual for tow rigs, auto for drag racing consistency, manual for autocross/roundy-round racing.
Old farts like me think people should know how to use both, no matter which you prefer, people in Kansas should know how to swim, just in case.
aephilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #33
Lillydot
Absolutely Red!!!

Drives: 07 A/T Yaris Liftback
auto. why choose to drive with two hands and two feet when you can get it done with one hand and foot? this way i have a hand free to roll down a window (yes, i have manual windows! don't laugh!), talk on my cell, or just to scratch an itch!
Lillydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:46 AM   #34
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillydot View Post
auto. why choose to drive with two hands and two feet when you can get it done with one hand and foot? this way i have a hand free to roll down a window (yes, i have manual windows! don't laugh!), talk on my cell, or just to scratch an itch!
we have to free hands with manual too!!!
but here in italy you cannot use free hand to talk with cell...it's forbidden!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #35
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
Its a good thing to have both automatic, and manual. Thank god I have two cars I hate driving manual in to much traffic especially on my work days and college. I usually drive my Camry(auto). For weekends when I want to get out the house its the yaris 5 speed.
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #36
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I can do all of that with manual but I don't recomend it...btw my cell is a blackberry
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote