Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
CliffB

Drives: '10 Yaris Sedan MT Slvr Strk
how other people drive...

I switched to a Yaris from a Chevy Tahoe (long story short: we had an old jeep cherokee we 'traded' with H's Dad for his GF's tahoe so he could give HIS MIL the jeep [didn't want tahoe] - he bought HIS GF a new car... understand that ). Never really liked the tahoe and have the Tacoma for any horse or towing related needs. I am in a bit of shock though about how other people drive differently. I've had a civic literally try to drive me off the road as he had to move over right then, and people generally passing me very quickly only to cut me off. Now I know I am not accelerating as quick - but often this is once I've reached the speed I want to go (which is about as fast as I'd go in the tahoe even if it takes a little longer to get there!). The only thing I can attribute it to is simply that I am driving a much smaller car. I only have 200 miles on my Yaris so far, so I am sure I will adapt but I never thought that I would have to consider that other people would drive so much more aggressively if you aren't in a truck [I live in Texas, too .... so trucks / suv's are the norm].
CliffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Bella

Drives: 06 Yaris YR Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffB View Post
I switched to a Yaris from a Chevy Tahoe (long story short: we had an old jeep cherokee we 'traded' with H's Dad for his GF's tahoe so he could give HIS MIL the jeep [didn't want tahoe] - he bought HIS GF a new car... understand that ). Never really liked the tahoe and have the Tacoma for any horse or towing related needs. I am in a bit of shock though about how other people drive differently. I've had a civic literally try to drive me off the road as he had to move over right then, and people generally passing me very quickly only to cut me off. Now I know I am not accelerating as quick - but often this is once I've reached the speed I want to go (which is about as fast as I'd go in the tahoe even if it takes a little longer to get there!). The only thing I can attribute it to is simply that I am driving a much smaller car. I only have 200 miles on my Yaris so far, so I am sure I will adapt but I never thought that I would have to consider that other people would drive so much more aggressively if you aren't in a truck [I live in Texas, too .... so trucks / suv's are the norm].
This is something I've gotten used to! For me it's usually being tailgated excessively regardless of what speed I'm doing - It seems people just want to overtake you! And that being said, I accelerate up to the speed limit relatively fast, and this all still happens.

However, I have been rammed from behind for stopping at a roundabout, giving way to traffic, almost run off the road multiple times, and been abused by two b-double truck drivers who were racing on the highway..! Over here it's generally F-150 (etc) drivers, blokes in their 'awesome' v8 Commodore/Falcons/Utes, or old men in 4wds.. Definitely makes you angry though!
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
bst82551

Drives: 2008 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
I've spent most of my life in either Texas (I'm a native Texan) or Georgia. I've noticed during my time in Georgia that drivers in Texas are AWFUL about tailgating. They tend to accelerate quickly, and like you said, they'll try to run over anything smaller than they are. However, Texas drivers are courteous about using turn signals and letting you pass.

Georgia drivers tend to linger in the left lane on highways (blocking traffic from passing), speed like crazy (80+ in a 55 is the norm), cut out in front of you, and almost never use a turn signal. Nobody really tailgates here or tries to run you off of the road (at least not in Augusta), but there are a whole mess of other problems to make up for that.

In short, there are going to be idiot drivers anywhere you go. You just have to be a good defensive driver (I recommend taking a defensive driving course if you haven't already) and be ready for anything at anytime. Try to be courteous, even if others aren't, and follow the rules of the road. You can't help what others do, but you can always control what you are doing.

-Brian
bst82551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I would just stay in the middle or right lanes. Stay out of the left passing lane unless you really feel the need to go 80mph+. Nothing pisses off and provokes drivers more than being slowed down in the fast lane.

If they're still on your butt in the right lanes, than all you gotta do is ignore them. If they want to go faster, that's what the left lane is for.

I haven't noticed much bullying by other drivers since getting a Yaris.

You just don't want to give people a reason to push you off the road.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
you get used to it. then people acting like knobs are not so much noticable anymore

you see them coming a mile away

I move between my 4runner and the Yaris all the time and noticed the difference for
the first few weeks. now ...meh...let the knobs drive around me.

-----
small cars are taking over for real this time...not like the 70's...they are here to stay
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
CliffB

I am talking about even city driving where the speed limit is 45-50 or below. They fly past and then SLOW DOWN! Didn't have that so much in the larger vehicles. I am originally from Florida, and can sympathize with highway drivers over there. I am also always ONLY ever in slow or middle lane in the highway unless passing someone going below speed limit - but I am not having a problem in the highway. I only drive about 2 highway miles a day, though.

Specifically, it is people who have to fly by me in the city even if I am going 5 over for themselves to then only go 5 over but so they can cut me off. Just never noticed this in the larger vehicles. It is odd.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
get use to it... every car larger than the yaris... especially SUV's and trucks try to run me off the road or cut me off or pull out of some side road with barely any space ... which means I almost hit them, but they don't care.. because they think they're big and mighty in their gas guzzler. *sigh*
kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffB View Post
I am talking about even city driving where the speed limit is 45-50 or below. They fly past and then SLOW DOWN! Didn't have that so much in the larger vehicles. I am originally from Florida, and can sympathize with highway drivers over there. I am also always ONLY ever in slow or middle lane in the highway unless passing someone going below speed limit - but I am not having a problem in the highway. I only drive about 2 highway miles a day, though.

Specifically, it is people who have to fly by me in the city even if I am going 5 over for themselves to then only go 5 over but so they can cut me off. Just never noticed this in the larger vehicles. It is odd.
you are in Texas. put a big set of horns on the hood of that thing
and they won't cut you off
Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
CliffB

That'll be a new trend...
Old 05-23-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I've thought of hanging some Truck Nutz on the back of mine.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Texas Horns and Truck Nutz... what a combination!

Can you feel the machismo! LOL! Nobody will bother you ever again...

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I've seen the same thing, Cliff. I can be going anywhere from 5 under the limit to 10 over it and I will often be tailgated for miles of my 2 lane highway commute. Around 50% of the tailgaters pass me even if it's just to go the same speed I am, and often in no-passing zones.

However, when a passenger in my buddy's Tacoma this never happens, even if he runs right at the speed limit the whole time. Folks give him space, and if they do want to pass it always happens in a passing zone.

It's an ego thing for those people, which I find wholly comical. They behave as if driving a vehicle designed, built and fueled by other people's labor somehow directly impacts their personal worth, and that "dominating" smaller vehicles somehow adds to that. Conversely, I've always looked at a car as just another way to get from one place to another, and I've never thought of public roads as a race track..

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #13
Banned

every time I am in my 4runner, some puke in a Yaris is slowing me down

every time I am in my Yaris, some douche in a 4runner is jacking me

Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
CliffB

I'm in San Antonio and find the same thing, but one of the reasons I bought my Yaris was that I too was driving like a complete moron in my last car (a VR6-equipped Passat wagon) and knew that eventually I would end up either crashing or getting an expensive speeding ticket. I keep at or close to the speed limit (within 5 MPH either way) and in the right lane, but people still fly up my six (and old Air Force term) and drive aggressively around me.

But the same thing happens in my Jeep, which I also drive the same way; so I wouldn't say it's just the car. However, I think being in such a small vehicle around so many people over-compensating with their huge SUVs and trucks is what gives them their new-found but temporary courage to act so tough...

Whereabouts in Texas are you? If you're anywhere near San Antonio, we're have a meet up at Freebirds World Burrito at 151 and 410 (info starts around page 6).

Cheers! M2
Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
bst82551

Drives: 2008 Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
I'm all for the horns. I still have Texas plates on my Yaris. Maybe I should show these Georgia drivers how we roll in Texas.
bst82551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
What do I do when someone is tailgating for quite sometime and it becomes really a safety issue?

First, I let off the gas and throw on my turn signal. Looking at the rear view mirror the car backs off. I then look for a safe place to turn off (good shoulder). When I'm off the road, I let the car pass me. I then resume back onto the highway.

This is only when a driver is jeopardizing my safety! The funny thing is most of the time when I gently pull off the road, the vehicle holds back and is hesitant to go by me. When they do, I never make eye contact and always look forward. The drivers who hesitate are definately aware of Road Rage and are questioning me behind the wheel!

I use to live in S. Florida and Road Rage is common. You do not want to antagonize! You may become a statistic.

When you surround yourself in a bubble of glass and metal (the car) this makes your environment static. You're in your comfort zone as if at home. When someone upsets this zone... Road Rage happens! People feel invinsible and at the same time hidden... no one knows who they are and no one can do anything about it! IMHO

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
CliffB

I am in Houston. Too bad as a FreeBird sounds good !
Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #18
Twistoffate0817
My Little Blue Egg :)

Drives: '09 3 door Yaris
Same thing happens to me all the time, and im in New Jersey. I guess people feel the need to show off or something. I just laugh because they waste more gas that way, and because i usually catch up to them anyway. When it comes to the highway, I usually stay in the very right lane no matter how fast I, or the traffic, is going. I get more attention when im city driving then on the highway. Do not let it bother ya, because we all know who the better drivers really are. :)
Twistoffate0817 is offline   Reply With Quote