Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
candy_jai

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris HB RS
Vancouver to Ottawa in the Yaris

I got a question for those who have done this. Would it be a good idea to drive directly to Ottawa from Vancouver in the Yaris or would it be better to just pay $1000 to move it over there?

Reason why I'm asking is I got a friend who is moving to Ottawa and wants me to go along to help drive. The plan is we leave on a Friday evening, drive about 4hrs for each person and get there by Sunday evening. Rest stops would be about 30mins if needed. Coming back to Vancouver, I will be flying on a Monday. Would this be possible or is it just too tiring?

Any tips, pointers, opinions are welcome. Thanks!
candy_jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
yarisworld

Drives: 2008 yaris hatchback
If i understand this right you will be driving right at around 3000 miles.

If you were to leave friday morning, then maybe I could see you cathching your plane back on monday.

But I would make sure your plane is as late as possible on the way back.

If you do make this trip, I gurantee you will never do anything like this ever again.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
yarisworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
yarisworld

I assume you will be driving through the us, so you have your passport?

If you drive through canada the whole way, it would seem like it would take longer.

Don't forget toll roads!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
candy_jai

I forgot to mention its Vancouver, BC not Vancouver, Washington.
I don't think we will be going through the US. We plan to take trans canada highway and the likes.

What I worry about most are the variables along the way (ie car breaks down, few blown tires, etc.)

I know time will be a factor as if we do drive, I'll have to make sure I catch my flight back.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Is it even possible to make it that far in three days? I was always under the impression that it took like two days just to drive between the (east) Manitoba border and Ottawa? It's a looong way north if you're staying on the Canadian routes.

It depends on your sense of adventure, I guess, but I'd probably ship it.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
I think it would be a fun road trip as long as you have cruise control!! Would you go through $1000.00 worth of gas with a YARIS?! Do you like driving? Do you really have the time? I would do it...but I LOVE driving!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
yarisworld

google was saying it was going to take 2 days of driving.

If you leave friday morning and drive all the way through, that would put you there on sunday morning.

Since you won't be able to do that without breaks inbetween, i would say that it will take you until sunday night or monday morning.

So if you have a late flight back on monday night, it would be possible to do.

At most the gas should cost you $400.

But if you have a breakdown or flat tire along the way, you would be hard press to make your flight back.

Any way to push the flight back to tuesday?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
To leave Friday am. and get there Sunday am. will require a solid 48 hr drive basically stopping for fuel only,,Saturday night will be the worst as you will be exhausted physically and mentally and have to deal with the possibility of deer in the road as you traverse northern Superior.i'd get the car shipped for $1000 which is probably what its going to cost in gas and food.But if you are young and fit it would be a memorable adventure..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Definitely go to Mapquest.com for routing.
You'll may find it much shorter to that the US route across Michigan etc. Not only could you save miles and hours but fuel is cheaper in the US. It's worth a look.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Ship it.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Definitely go to Mapquest.com for routing.
You'll may find it much shorter to that the US route across Michigan etc. Not only could you save miles and hours but fuel is cheaper in the US. It's worth a look.
You'll save about 300kms going under Lake Superior rather than taking the northern route,,i usually cross just south of Brandon Manitoba and follow Rt 2 east to Wakefield Michigan where i take rt28 to SS Marie.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ship it

that sounds like shitty long drive

i drove fredericton thru the states to niagara falls....then to rochester hills, mi.....then to montreal and back to fredericton a couple weeks ago.......all that driving sucks balls

ive driven niagara-fredericton in one shot TWICE now.....15h in the car.....minimal rest stops.....its sucks. a lot.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 PM   #13
yarisworld

well it's going to cost about
$400 for gas
$400 to $500 for a flight back
$40 for food along the way.

If you could get it railed for $1000, that would be the way to go.

Then there is just the additional cost of your friend to get to Ottawa without his car.

Rail?
Bus?
Rental car?
plane?

Keep us updated.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
candy_jai

thanks for the input guys. I will keep you up to date with what my friend decides.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
yeah, the drive through northern ontario is beautiful, but it is long. you can fly through the prairies but as soon as you hit the north of superior the road meanders around, up and down and makes for a long freakn' drive.
if the road were a string that you could pull taut i bet it would be twice the length that it looks on a map!

i drove from southern ontario to the bc interior and it took almost 4 days of fairly consistent driving,
i think you'd want to give yourself a bit more time if you do choose to drive.

shipping it defnitely seems to be the better choice when you consider the cost of fuel for the trip and wear and tear on the car.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
candy_jai

just an update of the situation. well my friend called up a dealer in ottawa and got a referral from the manager foe a company that they deal with for shipping cars across canada. my friend got a better deal than most shippers and dropped off the car on sunday morning. it should arrive there in a weeks time or so. i forgot to ask the details but its on the way to ottawa as of yesterday. thanks for your input and replies!