Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Oil level

I read somewhere that if you have too much oil in the engine that it increases internal pressure in a bad way. Each time I have the oil changed at the dealership they over fill the oil to where it reads about one half to three quarters of an inch above the full mark on the dip stick. Should I go back to the dealership and have them remove some oil or is it ok?
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It's got leeway for being 1/2 quart or more overfull easily with no problem. I'd leave it alone. Some alarmist will probably chime in soon and tell you to drain that immediately before you start the engine again, but it's not that sensitive. While the engine's running a good bit of oil is circulating up in the engine, out of the pan, so the actual oil level's rather lower while running anyway. The oil level being high doesn't increase oil pressure. The problems with overfilling are that if you do grossly overfill it, the crankshaft throws start splashing through the oil, consuming power, the splashing oil may get sucked through the PCV system increasing oil consumption and engine/exhaust deposits from burning oil, and splashing can introduce air into the oil to make bubbles or foam that reduce the oil's lubricating effectiveness and interfere with the operation of hydraulic devices like the VVT-i actuator.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
birdman

Thanks man!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I would definately bring that point up with the service manager next time you go in for an oil change. They might not be fully draining the oil or they are dumping four full quarts in there instead of ~ 3.7. Better yet equip yourself to change your own oil and be free of these problems! I got five qts of oil and 2 filters on Black Friday at Pep boys for $10. Where you gonna get 2 oil changes for $10?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
birdman

I don't have the proper set up to do my own oil changes efficiently. I did my own oil changes when I was younger and more flexible. I used to get very dirty and had the oil collection tank stink up my garage. Oil drips all over the place. Kitty litter over the oil spills and having to drive way across town to the recycle center. Those days are behind me now. Kitty litter worked great for absorbing oil but it can get into your shoe soles and scratch the hell out of your homes flooring. I'll just have to deal with the Dealership. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
bronsin

Too much drama! Bring it over to my place next time. My oil changes are a work of art!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
birdman

NJ is a bit out of my range but thanks all the same. It's just shy of being 1/2" above the "F" mark now. Is it going to cause frothing or mpg losses at this level?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #8
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
It's got leeway for being 1/2 quart or more overfull easily with no problem. I'd leave it alone. Some alarmist will probably chime in soon and tell you to drain that immediately before you start the engine again, but it's not that sensitive. While the engine's running a good bit of oil is circulating up in the engine, out of the pan, so the actual oil level's rather lower while running anyway. The oil level being high doesn't increase oil pressure. The problems with overfilling are that if you do grossly overfill it, the crankshaft throws start splashing through the oil, consuming power, the splashing oil may get sucked through the PCV system increasing oil consumption and engine/exhaust deposits from burning oil, and splashing can introduce air into the oil to make bubbles or foam that reduce the oil's lubricating effectiveness and interfere with the operation of hydraulic devices like the VVT-i actuator.
Exactly as Yaris Hilton said.

check your oil with your dip stick immediately after a drive.
If you see no signs of foaming, you are fine.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
NJ is a bit out of my range but thanks all the same. It's just shy of being 1/2" above the "F" mark now. Is it going to cause frothing or mpg losses at this level?
No. I think you are fine... My oil level from the factory was exactly as you describe in my Yaris...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
birdman

Whew that's a load off. Now I can worry about something else.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Very nice explanation Yaris!
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:21 AM   #12
birdman

Thanks to all who contributed.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
As an alarmist, The toyota owner's manual says otherwise about overfilling. You may be OK but its not a good practice. My car feels like a slug when overfilled.
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
flash104
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 yaris sedan
I Checked the oil level in a new Yaris on a dealers lot, with it's factory oil fill it was about a 1/2 inch above the full mark. The same level as what i get by using 3.9 Quarts of oil when changing oil and filter.
flash104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Chuck G

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash104 View Post
I Checked the oil level in a new Yaris on a dealers lot, with it's factory oil fill it was about a 1/2 inch above the full mark. The same level as what i get by using 3.9 Quarts of oil when changing oil and filter.
Mine came that way.
Chuck G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #16
bronsin

They must be putting 4 quarts instead of 3.7 in at the change.

Also a lot of people dont realize when and engine is new, it often takes MORE than the stated capacity in the OM to fill the engine. My ST1300 OM says "4 qts at change, 5 qts at rebuild"

So there a qt in there that NEVER comes out at each oil change.

The factory may be over compensating for that on the initial fill.