Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2014, 04:24 AM   #1
YoKr

Drives: Yaris 2012
Noise when shutting down engine

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I own Yaris 2012 (Sol) for about 2 months.
Last week I've first start wondering about the +/- buttons behind the steering wheel and figure it is the manual transmissions control (Using the car manual too).
Mention I've pressed these buttons several times before switching to manual mode until I figured it up.
Consequently or not, when shutting down the engine every time since that day I hear (from the car front, driver side) some kind of a weak buzzing/rattling noise, for a 1-2 sec and disappear.

What are your suggestions and shell I be worried?

Thanks in advance,
Yoav
YoKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
I am assuming you have a Multidrive CVT?
I was going to ask if you are leaving the transmission in M(manual) where you've discovered that the paddles change the transmission ratio, D, R or N when you shut down the engine. However, I don't think it's possible to remove the ignition key with the transmission in other than P(park). I know that's not possible even in N(neutral) because the key is "held" until P is selected.
So I'll not ask.
Your car should still be under warranty, so if you are worried why not visit or 'phone a Toyota dealer to inquire. I certainly don't hear anything like you describe on my Multidrive CVT.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
YoKr

Yes, I'm using the Multidrive CVT.
I haven't tried shut down the engine not in P mode, so it probably worth trying.

The car still under warranty and that is my last step assuming i won't get a solution here.

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
"I haven't tried shut down the engine not in P mode, so it probably worth trying."

No, I wouldn't try that. My fingers were ahead of my brain when I wondered whether you might be switching off in M etc.!
But maybe it would be worth trying to check if the noise is there in all modes when you switch off.
It might also be worth registering and asking here in the Yaris section. http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/ because I don't think they have the Multimode in the U.S.A. where the majority of posters here are from.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
YoKr

According to Toyota authorized garage the noise is from the fuel injection system and is normal.
I heard very similar sound from Yaris 2013 at the garage today.

I've become a little less worried.
Happy the read your impressions.

PS:
Shutting down in N didn't prevent the noise (too late not to try ).

Thanks!