Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
YarisLover09

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Oil Change Help Filter Stuck

Well the Yaris is my first car that I've bought, and I want to do the maintenance on it. I've read up in the Oil change thread of how to do it.

The problem is I can't get the oil filter off. It is a firestone filter so I know it's been changed at least once before (I'm at 30,000) and hopefully more often. Should I just get a clamp and just haul on it? The problem is I saw this video on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNEbVPYLGMo
and I don't want this to happen to me. Are there any tricks or any advice?

Many thanks in advance.
YarisLover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Vinceb

Drives: 2008 5 Speed Sedan
it shouldn't be on there so tight that you rip it to shreads when removing, hand tight is all that I ever put mine to, try a filter wrench (think thats what they're called)
Vinceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
There are a few different kinds of wrenches you can use. I've found tha the "cap" type that you use with a socket wrench works best.

I did have a situation where mine was stuck on there pretty good and had to stab a screwdriver through the body of the filter to get it off. I had tried to use the cap wrench but it kept losing grip on the flats of the filter.

Just be sure that when you put the new one on that you rub a little oil on the rubber gasket and only hand tighten it. Don't use a tool to put it on.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Many years ago, I also had to drive a screwdriver through a filter to break it loose.
It wiil work in a pinch.

However, a cheap "band" type filter wrench will work on many different size filters and sould be be in everyone's collection of tools.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
I use a clamp type oil filter wrench, it works perfect. looks like the item below in the link
http://www.tools2parts.com/Plews-70-535-p/4740-8109.htm
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Screwdriver works, but it's gonna get messy. I keep a selection of filter wrenches, haven't had to use a screwdriver since.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Screwdriver works, but it's gonna get messy. I keep a selection of filter wrenches, haven't had to use a screwdriver since.
Screwdrivers may have worked as a last resort back in the day filters were made of sterner stuff,todays filter casing is on par with paper and putting a screwdriver through it will just rip it to shreds and leave you with chiseling whats left to get it off, if the filter is on so tight that you will tear it up trying to get it off why not just let the local oil change shop do the first oil/filter change and tell the guy not to put the filter on too tight.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
The last guy that installed the filter must've not only torqued it with a filter wrench, but he probably also failed to oil the rubber seal and tread before installing.

A 64mm cap wrench (about $10 at any auto part store) definitely breaks it loose quickly. Just be sure you got the drain pan directly underneath because it will spill a little as you loosen it. It'll spill more if it drops.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Screwdrivers may have worked as a last resort back in the day filters were made of sterner stuff,todays filter casing is on par with paper and putting a screwdriver through it will just rip it to shreds and leave you with chiseling whats left to get it off, if the filter is on so tight that you will tear it up trying to get it off why not just let the local oil change shop do the first oil/filter change and tell the guy not to put the filter on too tight.
I had to use the screwdriver trick last about 2 years or so ago, it worked fine, but it was a K&N filter. I havent had to try it on a fram(etc) in much longer, I'll take your word for it, and keep my fingers crossed I don't have to dind out any time soon!

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #10
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
You're right. It made quite a mess of the filter but I eventually did get it off without ripping the can off.

I find it kind of strange that so many have had issues with the Yaris filters being too tight. I don't ever recall having this problem with any of my other vehicles.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
YarisLover09

Thanks everybody for your quick responses. I was working on it this morning and took a break until just now. I'm thinking of a couple options

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
The last guy that installed the filter must've not only torqued it with a filter wrench, but he probably also failed to oil the rubber seal and tread before installing.

A 64mm cap wrench (about $10 at any auto part store) definitely breaks it loose quickly. Just be sure you got the drain pan directly underneath because it will spill a little as you loosen it. It'll spill more if it drops.
This is one option I'm thinking of... I'm sure it would come in handy in the future and I'm looking at a couple that would match the ridges on the firestone filter

Quote:
This is the other thing.... Maybe for just this one I'll have my local shop do it. My car used to be a rental so I have no idea what they may have done, probably not oiled the seal, maybe they tightened it way too much. After I get the initial change I should be able to get it off next time (hopefully)

What does everybody use for filters, I'm thinking of Wix seems like pretty good for the price.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisLover09 View Post
This is one option I'm thinking of... I'm sure it would come in handy in the future and I'm looking at a couple that would match the ridges on the firestone filter
I honestly assumed all filters had the same ridges to fit its' matching-sized cap wrench. If that's not true then I would opt for the clamp wrench instead just in case.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #13
YarisLover09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
I honestly assumed all filters had the same ridges to fit its' matching-sized cap wrench. If that's not true then I would opt for the clamp wrench instead just in case.
Yeah I think they are different.. The set that I was looking at should be pictured below. The one that looks like it would fit mine is the one at the 9' o clock position.

Yeah I have this mechanic that is pretty good down the street, they looked over my car before I bought it and pointed out a couple things (air filter + radiator replacement) that I needed to get fixed before I bought the car. So from what I can tell they are a pretty good place, I'm debating having them do it so I don't make a mess of things but make sure to ask them not to ratchet it on too tight. I've only put about 2,000 miles on the Yaris since I bought it but I'd rather err on the side of caution with replacing the oil because they didn't have a record of when it was changed. The oil does look pretty clean, still a light-amber color but for the price I figure why not get it done.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Those cheap black sheet metal filter caps tend to "hop" under heavy tourque when trying to remove a stuck filter. I have one made of a die cast metal alloy that doesn't twist or flex under load. As for filters, I use only OEM. They have an o ring , unlike aftermarkets that use a flat gasket. I try to stick to dealer parts as much as possible..

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007yariz View Post
I use a clamp type oil filter wrench, it works perfect. looks like the item below in the link
http://www.tools2parts.com/Plews-70-535-p/4740-8109.htm
Yes, that is commonly called a "band wrench".
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 AM   #16
Ace

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
screwdriver and drill will work, will be messy.

strap filter wrench is the my tool of choice for this problem.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2082_____

bought it for another car 5 years ago, used for my yaris last year, never fail me yet.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
I've used a C-clamp twice in the past when even a strap filter wrench wouldn't work. It dents the filter but won't pierce it. Only happened when I bought a used car. One reason to do it yourself, hand tighten on and hand remove.

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
YarisLover09

This one looks nice and looks like it would work well. Also the C-clamp idea recommended above... I suppose I could use one with big shoes on it and get it to turn.

Thanks for the help everybody. These suggestions are definitely better than what I found by googling.

On a side note I'm overjoyed at the fact that I got 39.5 mpg on my last tank, with about 90% highway driving at 65 mph and 10% city driving. Air conditioner on about 60 % of the time. What a car!

Happy trails