Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #19
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I have trouble making money because property taxes in non-rural areas of Ohio are really, really high. Mine is close to $6,500. Through property taxes in Franklin County (the county where I live) I have to pay for BS stuff like the zoo (and no, we don't get free admission), alcohol and mental health services, a meals-on-wheels program for old people, children's services, and a bunch of other stupid stuff. And, of course, the schools, and I don't have kids. If not for the high property taxes where I live, it would be profitable. I wish I could live in a community outside of Franklin County, but then my commute would be really tough. Right now, I live only six miles from work. There's an opportunity cost, as they say in economics. Right now, the short commute wins out.

-myfirstyota If you're living in an apartment complex, then yeah, those suck. Ask me how I know. About one third of my car had to be repainted. Wanna know why two doors, a rear quarter panel, the fuel door, and the liftgate had to be repainted? No, it was never in an accident. It's because some idiot keyed my car in 2010 at the apartment complex where I was living. It had carports, not garages, so anyone could mess with your car. I had my suspicions of who did it, but I couldn't prove it because of no video cameras and no witnesses. Luckily, my insurance company covered it under comprehensive coverage. I was only out my $100 deductible. So, yeah, tenants suck.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
A bit more complicated on my end. I rent the basement unit of my parents rental property. Not something you really wanna walk away from. For whatever reason, 2 years ago they decided to rent to welfare crackheads and obviously don't get their rent. I've been telling them (parents) that their tenants are crackheads and they don't seem to care. Apparently cause they have 4 little crackheads in the making, they're entitled to my parents having to pay their way. I'm sorry, but after 2 years of constant Jerry Springer shows, cops at the door 2-5 times a week, and the crack deals going on in my parking spot, I couldn't give a fuck about the little cracklings. Call me an asshole... but I just don't care. Leave it to the western world to turn 2 crackheads living off the system into 12 crackheads living off the system inside of 25 years. Am I the only one who sees this revolving issue?

Make em piss for their money. You could probably lower taxes if you stopped giving hard earned tax money to drug addicts who contribute NOTHING to society.

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #21
Hamster

Dude, seriously, get a better paying job, save up your money, and get out of there!

My mind is blown that your parents will tolerate drug dealers living on the property. I just don't understand the mentality. And no, you're not an asshole. I'm also not the type of person who goes around feeling sorry for people. In my state, Ohio, we have a huge problem with opioid addicts. I really, really don't care if they they overdose and die. I wish these do-gooders would stop reviving them with Narcan. Narcan just keeps them alive long enough to steal another day. I live in an upper class suburb, and we have a huge problem with car, garage, and home break-ins from heroin addicts driving into here and stealing. It's a nice area, so they come here thinking there's lots of nice stuff to steal and pawn. I had a shed that was broken into, repeatedly. I eventually had to get it torn down, because it was a magnet for druggies looking for pawn-able property. So, yeah, I'm with you. I have an extreme dislike for drug addicts.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #22
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
A bit more complicated on my end. I rent the basement unit of my parents rental property. Not something you really wanna walk away from. For whatever reason, 2 years ago they decided to rent to welfare crackheads and obviously don't get their rent. I've been telling them (parents) that their tenants are crackheads and they don't seem to care. Apparently cause they have 4 little crackheads in the making, they're entitled to my parents having to pay their way. I'm sorry, but after 2 years of constant Jerry Springer shows, cops at the door 2-5 times a week, and the crack deals going on in my parking spot, I couldn't give a fuck about the little cracklings. Call me an asshole... but I just don't care. Leave it to the western world to turn 2 crackheads living off the system into 12 crackheads living off the system inside of 25 years. Am I the only one who sees this revolving issue?

Make em piss for their money. You could probably lower taxes if you stopped giving hard earned tax money to drug addicts who contribute NOTHING to society.
Come live in East Hamilton, I thought living in an area like this would give me more empathy - the exact opposite happened, the disregard for other people and the lack of personal pride is immense.

Fortunately my family's house is one of the nicer ones on the street (thanks to endless renovations I've done) and our neighbours are mostly all owners and are nice people. It is what is in our adjacent neighborhood that is a disaster. The area is slowly changing thanks to gentrification and younger families buying the houses as owners not rentals. It's turning around, it just takes time.

Neither my wife or I will live here once our oldest son starts school, I have a colleague who treats a lot of the teachers in the local schools and the stories are horrid.

Like you said, all it takes is two terrible individuals to realize that if you have enough kids the gov't gives you a lot of money. Next thing you know those two individuals just raised five kids that in a decade or two, will have the same negative impact to society and others that their parents had - exponential problem.

Sounds dark, but having seen the terrible conditions that kids are raised in around here plus how parents treat/talk to their kids, it's a reality. Money isn't the solution, adequate parents are.

I digress...
Old 03-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #23
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

You have a much nicer way with words than I do!

Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #24
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Dude, seriously, get a better paying job, save up your money, and get out of there!

My mind is blown that your parents will tolerate drug dealers living on the property. I just don't understand the mentality. And no, you're not an asshole. I'm also not the type of person who goes around feeling sorry for people. In my state, Ohio, we have a huge problem with opioid addicts. I really, really don't care if they they overdose and die. I wish these do-gooders would stop reviving them with Narcan. Narcan just keeps them alive long enough to steal another day. I live in an upper class suburb, and we have a huge problem with car, garage, and home break-ins from heroin addicts driving into here and stealing. It's a nice area, so they come here thinking there's lots of nice stuff to steal and pawn. I had a shed that was broken into, repeatedly. I eventually had to get it torn down, because it was a magnet for druggies looking for pawn-able property. So, yeah, I'm with you. I have an extreme dislike for drug addicts.
In the process. I wasn't always good with my money. 3 years ago my financial life came crashing down and was forced to smarten up. 3 years later I'm debt free (the hard work way) and trying to build credit and save for a down payment.

And trust me, my mind is more blown than yours. I put up with this so they can not get their rent? I could see if they actually paid it... But they don't!

Unfortunately, buying a house in the Toronto area just isn't feasable to anyone making less than 150k/year. I have a good job here that I don't want to move far from because with a single income, I can't afford to, and own a home. I'm left saving until the market crashes or at least till the overpriced bubble bursts.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #25
Hamster

I'm happy to hear you're out of debt! To quote the bible, the borrower is slave to the lender. Nothing more frustrating than working your tail off just to pay interest. My only debt is the duplex, and I'm getting that paid off as fast as possible. I'm in the US, but I've heard plenty of stories about the high cost of housing in and around Toronto. Rather than waiting for the bubble to burst, since it may never burst, maybe you can consider moving to a new apartment first.

Also, why don't your parents evict those tenants? I can't figure out why they would tolerate freeloaders.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #26
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Quote:
I'm happy to hear you're out of debt! To quote the bible, the borrower is slave to the lender. Nothing more frustrating than working your tail off just to pay interest. My only debt is the duplex, and I'm getting that paid off as fast as possible. I'm in the US, but I've heard plenty of stories about the high cost of housing in and around Toronto. Rather than waiting for the bubble to burst, since it may never burst, maybe you can consider moving to a new apartment first.

Also, why don't your parents evict those tenants? I can't figure out why they would tolerate freeloaders.
I've been asking that question for 2.5 years. Pitty? Idk.

The reason I won't move is because rent in this city is generally on par with a mortgage payment. We're talking $1000-1500/month for a shitty basement apartment in a horrible area and probably won't be any better than where I am now. My next door neighbors house is probably worth 2million. The area I live in is very nice and desired by many. I've lived in this area for over 30 years and have no intention of being pushed out by rifraff crackheads.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #27
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
I've been asking that question for 2.5 years. Pitty? Idk.

The reason I won't move is because rent in this city is generally on par with a mortgage payment. We're talking $1000-1500/month for a shitty basement apartment in a horrible area and probably won't be any better than where I am now. My next door neighbors house is probably worth 2million. The area I live in is very nice and desired by many. I've lived in this area for over 30 years and have no intention of being pushed out by rifraff crackheads.
Sorry but I just have to laugh when $1500 is considered a high rent. An apt. for $1500 in NYC would cause mass riots as people rushed to be the first to sign the lease.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #28
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

I'm in the burbs. Not really near the core at all. In the core the same appt would run 2k+

And you can't compare U.S. to Canada when it comes to money.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #29
Hamster

Where I live, you can rent a whole small-ish house in a nice suburb for $1,500. I live in an upper middle class suburb of Columbus, and I rent out the other half of my duplex for $1,150. That's pretty much market rate here. It's a 1,140 sq ft ranch, and has a full basement with a rec room (sq footage does not include the basement), three bedrooms/one bath, and one parking space in the garage. When it comes to rent, it's location, location, location, just like with the cost of housing. Ohio is a boring fly-over state, so housing is pretty affordable compared to NYC or LA.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:23 AM   #30
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Where I live, you can rent a whole small-ish house in a nice suburb for $1,500. I live in an upper middle class suburb of Columbus, and I rent out the other half of my duplex for $1,150. That's pretty much market rate here. It's a 1,140 sq ft ranch, and has a full basement with a rec room (sq footage does not include the basement), three bedrooms/one bath, and one parking space in the garage. When it comes to rent, it's location, location, location, just like with the cost of housing. Ohio is a boring fly-over state, so housing is pretty affordable compared to NYC or LA.
I'll take it! The commute is going to be a problem though. Looks like the Yaris will be racking up some miles. LOL
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #31
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

$1150 + another 150-250 A month utilities/internet for a shitty bachelor in toronto, vs the same price for a whole house in Ohio. Wow. Lets not forget the average cellphone bill is $80-120/month here. I know our american friends dont pay anywhere near that for cell service.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #32
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Lets not forget the average cellphone bill is $80-120/month here. I know our american friends dont pay anywhere near that for cell service.
Let's not forget that a $80-$120 cell phone bill is a choice, a luxury not a necessity. I pay for my phone, my wife's phone, and a home phone, $14.50/mo

I live in SW Ontario now and you can rent a house for $1000/mo here. That's why I bought here and commuted into Burlington and Mississauga.

I am a major league cheapass
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 AM   #33
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

I chose not to waste 4 hours+ a day sitting in my car commuting in the gta. That's time I spend at work making money, instead of burning it on fuel. Which is another ridicolous cost here. And I don't believe a cell phone is a luxury anymore. I don't have internet at home, nor a land line. My cell phone does both and for less than what a landline and internet would cost at home. Therefore, IMHO, the cellphone is not a luxury.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #34
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Those are the choices you've made. I made different ones and never looked back
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #35
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
$1150 + another 150-250 A month utilities/internet for a shitty bachelor in toronto, vs the same price for a whole house in Ohio. Wow. Lets not forget the average cellphone bill is $80-120/month here. I know our american friends dont pay anywhere near that for cell service.
i pay 88 for my cellphone. and 1200 plus would be my average rent if i didnt live at home.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #36
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Bottom line is it ain't easy in this world. And depending on you're age, the harder it is. I'm 36. My parents grew up in a time where an average house cost 3 years of an average income. That same house now costs 15 years of the average income. Seems everyrhing has doubled to quadroupled in price, but the wages havent even doubled. The world has changed...