Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
alex371

Drives: Yaris 2014
Lightbulb 215/45/17 – advice is needed

Hi
I'm a newbie with cars at all, but already got a lot of info about Yaris from the forum, thanks!

My situation: Yaris 2014 (1200cc) got to my hands with very low mileage, some styling, and 215/45/17 tires.
I got is at it's now. It has Viper3 styling and I assume to make it look better and higher, the previous owner put 215/45/17 tires/wheels.
Action place: Thailand. I don't speak Thai so it's not easy to go to the garage and ask for help. It's better to prepare for that. The car is mostly used only on the island, rarely outside on highways.

Everything was fine until recently I found out: if I have 2+ pax on the back seat and moving 80+km/h I noticed (it's was hard not to notice) rubbing on back wheels, mostly on "waves" – the outside part of a tire.

I was going to change tires anyway (they have low run but 4+ years old as the car was standing in the garage) and rubbing speeded up my actions.

I need an advice.
I understand that it's cheaper just to put 205/45/17 (don't see any problems, are there any possible ones?).
I'm not sure what offset I have, but it looks like et51. That size is among recommended. Will it certainly help to prevent rubbing or I need to check anything else?

Another option – to replace wheels and go with R15 (185/60/15) or R16 (195/50/16). I'm afraid going down will also decrease clearance – because of the bodykit it's minus 2-3 cm of the original one. Even now I sometimes catch the ground with a front skirt. And it's more $ as I also need new wheels, not ony tires.

BTW, in the trunk, I have a spare (175/65/14) from a factory...

Just want to ask what do you think the best to do in my case?
Any help is appreciated. Thank you
alex371 is offline   Reply With Quote