Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-11-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
2007 MT Stalling Randomly

Vehicle is stalling randomly. Most likely to happen when pulling away from a stop. Will shift into 1st, start rolling out begin to accelerate and the engine shuts off and I have to restart. Note foot is off of the clutch and fully engaged when this happens. It is also stalling out without warning while driving at times. Usually happens after coasting for a few seconds while the car is in gear and then when you step on the gas it will stall, buck very hard and restart. I stalled 4 times trying to get out of my driveway on Saturday and several times while driving. Today I pulled out of the drive with no issue, drove approx one mile, stopped at an intersection and stalled 2x in the middle of the intersection. This has been happening on occasion for the last 500 miles, but is getting to be too much to deal with. I have changed the air filter, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body (lots-o carbon built up in there) and have tried several brands of gasoline with no change and yeah I'm just out of warranty. I'm taking it to Toyota this week, but any thoughts? They aren't going to be happy with my Tanabe Medallion exhaust are they? Oh and no check engine light either.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
Ok, took it in and they found corrosion and an intermittent short in the engine wiring harness. They have to order it and will change it out on Monday. Meanwhile they were able to patch it up and it's running good right now, so I think they are on the right track. I'm a couple of months beyond the warranty per the in-service date and 300 miles over the 36,000 but they are doing the repair no charge as I was having an intermittent battery draw problem last winter that we never got resolved. They didn't find anything then and it just kind of went away. Guess I shouldn't have let it drop last winter, but I lucked out this time.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Glad you got it sorted out. As for the Tanabe exhaust, they would be hard pressed to prove that your transmission is affected by an aftermarket exhaust