Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
Deep scratch on rear door-HELP!

Hello! Just wondering if there's an easy way to repair a deep scratch on the rear passenger door? It's about 20 inches long and extends onto the rear panel. I went to Toyota for an estimate, and that crazy dude quoted me $900to have the door and rear panel repainted!! The scratch itself is pretty deep. It's gone past the clearcoat and halfway through the paint. I did some research and came across this site:
Langka.com
Has anyone ever tried this product? Perhaps there's some other less expensive way to reapair the scratch? Thanks!
Eatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
If you do a google on that and Dr chips you will find what the capabilities are of those products. However having done that I found that they are primarily for small chip marks and do well at it if done according to directions. Scratch is a different story, particularly the one as you described. Sand and repaint is the choice however shop around for a reputable painter and see if you could come up with a better price. Any detailer would not attempt to correct that which you describe. They can get most of a scratch but through the clear and into the paint that much, highly unlikely. Good luck.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
best to post up pics, but from the sounds of it you will need to find yourself a body shop. It doesn't sound like Toyota would be blending either...they would be repainting the full panels to ensure color matching and accuracy. You have to remember that they are responsible for that since they are a dealer where as a shop isn't an OEM provider and can do "more" or "less" depending on the situation.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
From the sound of it, you got keyed... care to share what caused the scratch?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
ufocar
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Ill say how I got my full side body scratch..

We had alot of snow here last winter. A fallen tree had some branches sticking off into the road and there was cars in the other lane so i had no choice but to let this top of a fallen tree wip the side of my car. From headlight to tail light. Its very long well done battle scar. Nothing so deep as metal showing through ( like on my hood in 5 places). But still people ask me if I got keyed all the time.. chics usually since they are getting in that side.. *(passengers side) Thus concludes how I got my full body scratch.
ufocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
you might be able to have the scratch minimized at least for now if you have one of those companies that does house calls, like a dent doctor, or scratch doctor. You should check online. When I was in Memphis back in 08 I called in Dent Express and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the gentleman also took care of scratches. He had the sanding tools and polishing compounds with him in his truck. Even if you cannot swing getting it fixed 100% for now that could assist you in the looks and corrosion department. Just a thought.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Eatoman

Thanks for the replies, and yes, I did get keyed...which really sucks! I wouldn't mind giving the Langka product a try...for $40 it's worth a shot I guess...even if it's not a 100% repair. The cheapest quote I have gotten so far was from an auto detailer here in Montreal. He quoted me $450 to repair the scratch, as well as a small dent in the rear door.
Eatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
jstantherprsn

Drives: 01 Toyota Echo
Have you tried filling it with touch up paint then using cutting compound on the entire panel to fade it in, then rewax? If you use cutting compound keep alot of water nearby, you are literally cutting 1/1000 of the paint to make it bright and new by exposing the under side. You would need to do a real wax job also on the rest of the car, not the ez wax.
jstantherprsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
rene0023

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Maybe a scratch remover or just a fresh coat of paint.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #10
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
If it's a deep scratch use touch up paint, and then clearcoat over. Though I find the clearcoating does not go on evenly.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Eatoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstantherprsn View Post
Have you tried filling it with touch up paint then using cutting compound on the entire panel to fade it in, then rewax? If you use cutting compound keep alot of water nearby, you are literally cutting 1/1000 of the paint to make it bright and new by exposing the under side. You would need to do a real wax job also on the rest of the car, not the ez wax.
Hmmm...this seems like a good solution. It kinda sounds like that Langka product I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. You simply fill in the scratch with touch up paint, let it dry, and then you rub in the Langka compound until it blends in with the rest of the paint...and voila! good as new!
Question: would you happen to have a brand name for this cutting compound?
If it's cheaper than $40 (which is the price of Langka) then I will certainly give it a try.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
Quixxx or something like that scratch remover buy it at Walmart like 24.99

Had a scrape on my front fender prob just over half an inch deep used this repair kit looks brand new, and I mean brand new not this shit oh it looks better atleast.

1. Apply your vehicles paint color that you get with it (Touch up stick)
2. Let dry for a few days reccommended is a week

--

A week later

3. Wipe area off degrease etc etc
4. Apply a TINY dab of it on one of the cloths, rub it in two minutes up and down motion the scratch will start filling seeing as the liquid labeled #1 is like wax.
5. Wipe off excess of former paste (Just lightly wipe off basically
6. Sand with the paper that comes in the kit 15 seconds LIGHTLY the 15 seconds has to be used up on the WHOLE scratch if its a long scrape try to do it 5 seconds to sand front then another 5 middle and other 5 seconds on the last part.

7. Apply paste #2 in circular motion two minutes and shit is brand new again in sunlight, you could even magnify it jesus christ and it will look fine if done correctly.

Did it today to my front right fender. Any questions pm me.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
Eatoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Kevin. View Post
Quixxx or something like that scratch remover buy it at Walmart like 24.99

Had a scrape on my front fender prob just over half an inch deep used this repair kit looks brand new, and I mean brand new not this shit oh it looks better atleast.

1. Apply your vehicles paint color that you get with it (Touch up stick)
2. Let dry for a few days reccommended is a week

--

A week later

3. Wipe area off degrease etc etc
4. Apply a TINY dab of it on one of the cloths, rub it in two minutes up and down motion the scratch will start filling seeing as the liquid labeled #1 is like wax.
5. Wipe off excess of former paste (Just lightly wipe off basically
6. Sand with the paper that comes in the kit 15 seconds LIGHTLY the 15 seconds has to be used up on the WHOLE scratch if its a long scrape try to do it 5 seconds to sand front then another 5 middle and other 5 seconds on the last part.

7. Apply paste #2 in circular motion two minutes and shit is brand new again in sunlight, you could even magnify it jesus christ and it will look fine if done correctly.

Did it today to my front right fender. Any questions pm me.
Kevin, you da man! Great info! Here's a pic of the scratch on my car. Think this stuff will work on such an extreme case?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00087-20100907-1234.jpg (78.7 KB, 310 views)
Old 10-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #14
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

DEFINATELY man. Mine was something like that just make sure you put your touch up paint nicely and lightly when the time comes.

If you have any problems let me know I can go out to my trunk and check the products exact name even take a photo for ya.

It's a orange with black box partly checkered, comes with 2 tubes (#1 and #2, two clothes and 3 strips of sandpaper.)

It was 24.99 Canadian- so it might be cheaper for you. And either way it comes with instructions inside the case its a folded up paper.

If they dont sell it in the states or on ebay msg me and we could try and get you a box from here.

EDIT:

Was trying to go outside and make a tutorial on my dads car but its been raining past two days unfortunately.

but I got its name

"Quixx"
http://news.hspn.com/content_images/...x_scratch1.jpg

There is a photo of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JWO_getik

AND a more direct tutorial.

Last edited by .Kevin.; 10-19-2010 at 06:56 PM.
.Kevin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #15
Eatoman

Awesome! Thanks Kevin! I actually found the product at Canadian Tire selling for $19.99 here in Montreal.
All I have to do now is go down to the stealership and buy some touch up paint.
That should cost me an extra $15...If this works I just saved myself over $500 in repairs!!
Did you wet sand the area before applying the touch up paint? I've read in some other post that it's a good idea to wet sand so that the paint can adhere better as to prevent chipping.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Eatoman

Here's what the product looks like in case anyone else is interested:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quixx.jpg (27.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 10-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #17
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

didnt wet it but i brushed the sanding paper lightly for a few moments along the scrape
Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
Eatoman

Thanks again Kev, and everyone else who submitted their ideas and comments to this thread! Once I get started on the repairs I'll make a little DIY for other members...unless Kevin makes one before me ;)
I'll keep you posted!