Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Leonard_Church

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Silver
Changing the Dash

I have an 07 Yaris with the 5 speed manual transmission. I've had it just about a year now and I'm getting pretty sick of the gauges being in the center. I'd love to redo the dash with another Toyota dash that has the gauges by the steering wheel. Does anyone have any advice on doing a swap like this? Has anyone done this before? And last but not least, does anyone know of a good dash to use for this?

I've been around cars long enough to know how to do this kind of swap but I'm just looking for some pointers. I'm used to working on my old Jeeps and not the little Yaris.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
That is quite an ordeal and I don't know of anyone that has done it.

I do know that microimage (microimageonline.com) used to sell a gauge cluster that you put on the little glove box in front of your steering wheel though you would have to buy gauges and all (then you would have two clusters).

I used an ultragauge for speed and added an aftermarket tachometer to mine and called it a day. I only use the center cluster for my odometer and fuel gauge.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Switching to the cluster from something else opens a can of worms with compatibility. If you really want the gauges in front of the wheel, your best bet would be to trade your Sedan in for a Corolla. If that isn't an option, then moving your existing cluster would be the next best option would be to move your existing cluster in front of the wheel. That would just require lengthening the two harnesses and doing some plastic work.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Leonard_Church

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan Silver
Thanks for the advice guys. I got the idea after seeing the dash of the newer yaris and seeing a racing yaris with a scion dash in it. I might take Ctscott's advice And move the cluster. Now I just need to plan it out.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
harda toenail

Drives: Want a yaris
Take lots of pics. I won't do it to mine but if someone it could really help someone in the future
harda toenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Get yourself a 2012 or later - gauges are in front of the driver.

Driving position is marginally more comfortable - for me, anyway - but there's not nearly the dash storage as there is in the center-pod dash.

Or...you could just arrange to mount a GPS unit in front of you behind/above the steering wheel. That's what I did with my 2009...the open space allowed it; and frankly, the GPS screen is easier to read and more accurate than the car speedo.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote