Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Blackstare

Drives: Yaris 2011
Problems with brake systems after rains.

Hello everyone, I have been reading you all for some time now, but now I ask for advice.

I have a '11 Yaris liftback, and got into a flooded street about a week ago, just after getting out of the puddle, the rear brakes were making screeching noises and the car felt like it was not braking on the rear wheels, the problem went away as soon as the car dried up, but since then I constantly get the "slip" light on. Today the slip and ABS light came on.

I also noticed that the "brake" light does not light up when I pull the parking brake, it was working well before the water, so maybe this has to do with the rear brakes as well.

Does anybody have some advice on how to proceed before taking the car to the agency?

Kind regards and great forum!
Blackstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
A German study showed that ABS actually INCREASES accidents because people drive more aggressively. My insurance company in NJ does NOT offer a discount if you have ABS...

Those lights mean NOTHING. I wouldn't spend any money to fix them. If you want slam on the brakes to see if the pedal clicks. If so ABS is working.

Really the best advice I can give you is DONT DRIVE THROUGH STANDING WATER! If the car swamps youre screwed. Might be a challenge in your neck of the woods but getting screwed is getting screwed.