Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Hawk

Drives: 2006 subaru wrx
Whats the current trend of prices on the Yaris?

well i was on this forum about 6-8 months ago about to purchase a new yaris from the local dealer, and they decided my subaru wrx was only worth petty change at the time and i wouldve been way upside down on the deal....

so now i finally have the subaru going through the process of a loan from a local buyer. *crosses fingers it goes through this time*

i've had 19 people try to get a loan for it and fail. but this one is lucky number 20!!!!!

i havent even looked at yaris this whole time, havent seen what main competition is out there... i've just been on the forum since 6am reading through pretyt much every good and bad thread so far.

what ive mainly learned....

gas mileage is far above the competition for the price range.
that sound about right?
lol.

im looking at gettin the 4dr sedan, power package......

are they selling for MSRP right now or way below? last summer when i was shopping gas prices were 4.99 a gallon here in so cal, so they wouldnt BUDGE on a price change for the car.

Mainly just interested in what the current trend is? price dropping, price increase soon? i know the yaris really isnt a big money maker for toyota, but a car sale is still a sale and one less car on their on lot

Thanks for any help
kevin
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

gas mileage is far above the competition for the price range.
that sound about right?

are they selling for MSRP right now or way below? last summer when i was shopping gas prices were 4.99 a gallon here in so cal, so they wouldnt BUDGE on a price change for the car.

i know around here, the lots are crammed full of yarii, corollas, camrys. it was hard to get a corolla or yaris last summer. the yarii im seeing are all marked well below msrp, so its a good time to deal. its all about the gas prices. if they shoot up by summer, i expect the deallers will have much more leverage

on the mpg, i agree the yaris beats its competition, moreso with the 5 speed manual, which i think will average 3-4 more mpg's than the auto.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I was talking to a lady yesterday who gets 32 in-town with the Corolla; I get 36 with the Yaris. So not so impressive, if those numbers are typical (you'll find some on here claiming to get 50, but I've not seen it)... Personally, I wish I'd kept my old car going and waited to see what else came around the bend in the small car category; JMHO.
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
i have an 09 corolla 5 speed and average 39.7 mpg on the exact same routes as my yaris 5 speed gave me 42.5. corolla isnt really the competition for the yaris, class wise, but ther mpg hit is pretty minimal for a biger, heavier, nicer riding car. i consider the corolla to beat most everything in the subcompact class for mpg except the yaris.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
i have an 09 corolla 5 speed and average 39.7 mpg on the exact same routes as my yaris 5 speed gave me 42.5. corolla isnt really the competition for the yaris, class wise, but ther mpg hit is pretty minimal for a biger, heavier, nicer riding car. i consider the corolla to beat most everything in the subcompact class for mpg except the yaris.
The only way the Corolla even comes close to looking as cool as the Yaris is if its got the S package trim.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
otterhere

I'd say "looking cool" is another issue, but if Toyota is going to market the Yaris as this phenomenal gas-saving fuel-efficient vehicle, the MPG should warrant all the brouhaha.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd say "looking cool" is another issue, but if Toyota is going to market the Yaris as this phenomenal gas-saving fuel-efficient vehicle, the MPG should warrant all the brouhaha.
Imagine that, a company exagerating thier product in advertising.

Wow.

What's next?
Politicians making promises they never intend on keeping?
Oh wait, . . . nevermind.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
PreciousPups4U
I really LOVE this car!!!

Drives: 08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I have had my Yaris since May 2008. It is an automatic, I am averaging very close to 35 mpg and mine is pretty much all city driving. We have a 5-speed as well and so far the auto gets better mpg, but it does depend on driving style as well. Maybe I should say I get better mpg than my husband. Maybe I'd have to let him drive the auto and me drive the manal for a while to figure out if it's more so the car/transmission or the driver.

As far as price, I got a pretty fair price on mine last year just before gas prices went nuts. I paid about $1500 below MSRP and a $500 rebate. So $2000 off and they installed cruise control for no charge.

Not sure what the going prices are now, but I'd think you could get close to that. I also believe the rebates are $1000 now.

Good luck in your search. The Yaris is a great little car.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

PreciousPups4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Mainly just interested in what the current trend is? price dropping, price increase soon?
What the heck, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Nobody knows what's going to happen in the future, but if the gas price goes up (IMO, it will) then cars like the Yaris will become more attractive to the public and will be more in demand. More demand mean prices of the small econo cars will go up.

Toyota and the other manufacturers could respond by manufacturing a lot more Yarii and smaller cars, and increased supply or competition would keep the prices of the car somewhat under control. But there is also inflation to consider, so ... I'm guessing the prices will go up, unless the economy tanks even more... sigh

Hope that makes sense, lol

I didn't have to ask myself these questions because I needed a "new" car like yesterday, practically had to push my beloved old car into the dealership, so I didn't have the luxury to wait. People say that December is a good time to buy a car or right when the "new" models come out.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by tomato; 03-09-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typos
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I took the 2.9% interest rate so I did not get the rebate. I bought one of the 2 that were on the show room floor so it had almost everything on it. It’s missing the mud flaps and cruse control. I hate cruse control and they told me they left the mud flaps off because of the type of collage town it was.

The gas will go back up as soon as the government tries to tighten up on green house gasses and the traveling time hits. If you kept up in the papers the cost of gas dropped at the end of the year after they had made 4.8 billion (I think that was the number).

You also must look at what would happen if one of the “big 3” was to file for chapter 11. This has been talked about some in news papers but if you research it it’s coming soon. If they took the bail out and there sales did not increase they have to pay the money back and the one company’s sales did not go up. What would happen to there warranties? What about the supply of there replacement parts? Would everyone sell there old cars because of these issues? How far will the government step in?

Depending on how you look at everything this is the time to buy. The prices are down with the cost of gas that will go back up. The satiability of all the manufactures is not too bad yet. If your driving anything that dose not get more than 35 miles to the gallon and you know you want a Yaris then your pissing your gas down the drain when you could be saving it.

Last edited by firebob; 03-09-2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Copy and past issues.
firebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
What do the lease prices look like right now for the Yaris? I am torn between getting a lease or buying it. But then I feel like the lease will be too high to justify giving them the car back at the end of the term when if I had paid a little more I could have kept it. If I could lease it for like 180 or less a month with nothing out of pocket (talking about the 5dr hatch) then I would consider leasing. But I can't imagine it being that low, is it? Damn it this is a hard choice!
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Hawk

Drives: 2006 subaru wrx
Thanks for all the info so far, i appreciate it. it looks like i'll go shop around and see what prices i can get.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:

Mainly just interested in what the current trend is? price dropping, price increase soon? i know the yaris really isnt a big money maker for toyota, but a car sale is still a sale and one less car on their on lot

Thanks for any help
kevin
I bought a brand new Yaris LB four week ago. I got $1,300 off the sticker price for a fully-loaded Yaris, which I thought was a fair deal.

Good luck on finding your next car.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
firebob

Don’t forget with leas you have to pay for all the damage and might have to pay for all the shop stuff at the dealer not at your shop. If you miss anything by even a few miles you’ll pay extra. I have seen them go over a car to look for tinny dents and scratches that I did not even know I had. The big issue is mileage; they tried to get me to sign one that had a $100 for every 50 miles you were over.

To me it’s like renting an apartment. You pay and pay and have nothing at the end. If your able to do a tax write off then it could save you money in the long run.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
otterhere

Leasing is a BAD idea; just ask Suze Ormon (financial guru); boy, does she hate leasing!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Leasing is the most expensive option, but it can be tax deductible, under certain circumstances (self-employed, business expense)
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
firebob

I have leased a few times and found it best to ask about buying the car towards the end. Most of the time it’s cheap and you don’t have to deal with there BS issues. Selling the car afterwards and make a grand off it.

Depending on what you do for a living you can write it off. You can also desperate (sp) a car over a set number of years for the tax write off but will need help getting it set up right for all the tax breaks with it. If you are looking into this remember to spend the cash every year to appraise your car so your paying taxes off what it’s worth not what someone at a desk thinks it’s worth; this is more for a high mileage driver like me. My insurance company will appraise my cars for $10 each and is done at the same time they are doing my mileage check.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Well gentlemen I got the Yaris! 15,600 out the door including the power package, keyless entry, and spoiler. What you guys think? I think I did pretty good.
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote