Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Need help guys headlight won't shut off!!!!!

Weird issue I had today..did look at one previous post which didn't help . Already disconnected battery for half hour and also tapped on relays underneath the steering and still no solution.. Seems like it's stuck on on. Now I can use high beam by pulling the level but high beam by pushing the lever won't work unless it's in on ON position... I'm lost...this leaves the actual switch issue.. Thanks

So far I've done..

1. Disconnect battery atleast half hour and reconnect
2. Check h-lp/amt relay located on the engine compartment passenger side, and this does not shut off the light even when it's unplugged..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."

Last edited by marcus; 06-25-2014 at 09:50 AM.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Could be the actual relay which I'm trying to figure out where it's at...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 06-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
DLR maybe the problem ...under the steering column unplug it and see , or like u said relay .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Besides the DRL module, check the relays in the little box on the right side of the engine. Pull each out and give it a good whack against a hard surface to free the contacts if they are stuck.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

I had drl unplugged 5 years back.. Trying to figure out where the relay is it's not on the fuse box on the engine bay..

Old 06-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
marcus
toyota

No luck...can't believe no one out there had this issue... First time World Wide Web can't help... This is one for the books...lol

Atleast this doesn't keep the park light on just the headlight so switch still works to turn the park light on ....so weird..I hate weird..

Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
marcus
toyota

Bumpin.....

Old 06-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I can't follow your issue by reading this.

Are you saying you are currently in a situation where the only way to turn lights off is to disconnect the battery?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
I can't follow your issue by reading this.

Are you saying you are currently in a situation where the only way to turn lights off is to disconnect the battery?
Yes.... I actually just took off the 2 fuse for left and right so I can still use the car for now... But the headlight is stuck to on.. Park light , for lights I can still turn on and off..

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
marcus
toyota

Disconnect the relay on the engine bay passenger side h-lp/amt relay and that doesn't even shut off the lights...��

Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
That's fun. Sounds like you have a short somewhere!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
marcus
toyota

Could be the actual switch but there shouldn't be any short circuit anywhere I don't think ...sigh... I'll unplug the switch and see if it goes off.. Update tomorrow..

Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
How many days can you keep this running? Lol
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
marcus
toyota

This is only the 2nd day..this will be running till it's fixed..

Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If pulling the relay did not work, check the wires at the headlight connectors. Constant power is present and the ground is switched to the high or low filament to turn them on. If the switched ground wire is damaged on one side it would cause them to stay on.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Good call Scott as he has recently done a projector retrofit.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #17
marcus
toyota

Ok I'll check the headlight wirings..although the retro fit was done dec 31st why now.. Hope it's the wiring.. I was shooting to check the switch itself and the drl relay box.. Thanks guys appreciate the input I'll work on it tomorrow!!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

It's FIXED.. guest what caused it... It's kinna stupid .. No issues with headlight wires, or fuses or relay, not even the switch. My last hunch is what did it.. Still thanks for the guidance fellow yaris owners....

Oh yeah it's the blue wire from the drl relay that I unplugged and taped.. Took over 5 years for the tape to fall off that exposed the wire onto the yaris body which is keeping the headlight on the whole time..

Pls close thread mods.. Thanks again guys..

Last edited by marcus; 06-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.