Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Dueling drivers

On the way to work last week I came up on a silver pickup who was hogging the left lane. I came upon him, flashed my lights, but he ignored me, as did a BMW riding alongside of him. Two lanes and a narrow shoulder. Oh well.

I surmise that they were playing games with one another and then this "pipsqueak" comes along demanding that they yield the right of way.

All three of us went along for another four miles, him clogging the left lane, the Beemer dancing in and out as cars in the right lane needed passing, both preventing me from passing and being dicks.

At one point a large truck appeared on the right, the beemer went ahead and our hero pulled up alongside of the truck. I flashed my lights a time or two and tried to exploit holes, but the pickup truck driver closed them just as fast as they opened.

Another lane opened to the left but the Beemer lept into the lane. He did a very sloppy pass and fishtailed a bit. Probably isn't too experienced? Angry? Stoned? Glad I'm not paying their bills.

I took a quick glance, saw an opening, and went to the extreme right lane, checking out everyone for safety's sake and got in and went forward.

I ended up passing both of them. I got ahead of the pickup truck driver and looked in. For someone who was "angry" he didn't seem too preoccupied, not looking at me or anything. I did not recognize him while I was passing.

I went about my business, being satisfied at putting two ass pains behind me.

Several miles down the road the truck driver caught up with me, carefully paced me and then pulled into a business near my own place of employment. Swell, well, that's why I have tools in the car. Better them than me. Yes, I was ready, no I did not want such an event on my employer's property.

There is a point in life where you cannot accept other people's bad behavior, such as someone playing games on the highway and taking umbrage at an Economy Car Driver for not "knowing our place". I didn't go after him, and he left me be. Fair enough.

Turns out the pickup pilot was coming to my place of work, to meet his brother who also works with me. He used to work for us. Nice kid.

I did not know any of this, only that I had successfully put a bully in their place, done it with style, and did not break laws or hurt anyone. A satisfying turn of events.

A week passed by...

This evening the pickup driver's brother, who works with us, asked me what my problem was. Upon being told that his brother had asked after the "Asshole in the blue Yaris" and being told who it was, he realized that he and I used to work together.

Small world, huh? I smiled and waited for the story.

The pickup driver did not "appreciate me trying to take a bite out of his trailer hitch". He added that he and the BMW were "f--ing with me because I was being an asshole".

No kidding? I did not ask what they were doing riding side by side down a two lane highway. I had about twenty seconds to watch them, and they were pacing one another, and it did not look like a normal event. I did not see the BMW driver, perhaps it was a female and our hero was making an acquaintance? Male ego indeed?

I told my colleague that I did not appreciate people bogarting the passing lane. I added that I had no hard feelings about his brother's antics, that I eventually found a hole and got ahead and that to extend my congratulations on holding me back, because "most people cannot do it for long". I smiled while saying it, in a sort of nasty way.

Here's where it gets interesting....

My colleague said, "You need to get a nitrous kit, something, so that you can 'keep up'."

Keep up? I'm not here to keep up and certainly not to race I'm trying to get from here to there.

I then said to the kid, "Did your brother get angry because someone in an economy car wanted him to pull over and let him by?". I smiled and said, "I'm not in this to race, I want to get to work on time. If your brother has a problem with being passed by economy cars maybe he needs to pick up the pace a bit".

My coworker did not comment at first but he smiled a bit in a shy sort of way.

Then he said, "You drive an awfully tiny car, and a pickup truck is really big. You could get hurt".

Well, folks, there it is in black 'n white - why America doesn't like little cars. Little cars translates to little people.

Yeah, and the worst beating I ever had in my life was from a man who stood five five and weighed 120 pounds. I've been stomped a time or two but this guy was just fooling around with me.

Little doesn't mean weak and it sure doesn't mean stupid. Of course it helps when little was the National Judo Champ in his weight class for that year!

I've been taking it down a notch the last week or so after that event. Still, there is no disgrace to me. I was treated like an inferior, and with a slower less powerful car I put two bullies into their places.

It's not the gear, it's the timing, and patience. Just like when that little fellow sent me flying here and there.

Just passed this on in case some of you wonder why these clowns in SUVs and Sports Cars get 'tudes if you try to pass them.

Sometimes I've wanted to borrow or rent something a bit more powerful and try it out on the road. Nahh... I'd get into trouble.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Great story on how road rage starts,wonder what would have happened if you never did pass the truck. Odd that two seperate vehicles would come to the same conclusion about your driving to the point where they proceeded to mess with your head,me thinks this situation started long before the truck decided to take up the left lane.
Quote:
This evening the pickup driver's brother, who works with us, asked me what my problem was. Upon being told that his brother had asked after the "Asshole in the blue Yaris" and being told who it was, he realized that he and I used to work together.
Small world, huh? I smiled and waited for the story.
The pickup driver did not "appreciate me trying to take a bite out of his trailer hitch". He added that he and the BMW were "f--ing with me because I was being an asshole".
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I like his stories though. So detailed. I know of some people who could have just went..

I passed a truck. Fking asshole. His brother works with me. He wanted to start crap. The end.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
Good story Gene,
i hate people that drive slow in the fast lane
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I only ask for one thing...... please will people drive the speed limit when available with conditions.

I get pissed when people try to push around the Yaris just because it is small......

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Havana

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door M/T
Whenever I run into such people who are playing games on the road, I try to just back off and let them go. Idiots like that can get you killed. They're very poor drivers and can't possibly comprehend the potential dangerous consequences of their little games. They're wasting fuel, endangering life and property and for what? To protect what is clearly a fragile ego and to cover feelings of inadequacies. Let them go ahead and play their games. Inevitably, you'll be driving past their wreckage.
As for the Yaris's size, I have one because I like the feel of a small car. I grew up driving classic Beetles and became a minimalist as a result. The Yaris is very much a descendent of the classic Beetle. Everything you need. Nothing you don't. When people ask about it? I reply with comments like How much car does one person need? or This car does absolutely everything that most people need in a car. or I work hard for my money, why would I want to give more than I have to to oil companies? or I'm not trying to impress anyone or compensate for anything. or the simplest of all It was a smart choice.
The one thing that does bug me is when people think I bought a Yaris because it's all I could afford. That's not the case at all and those people competely miss the point.
Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
The Yaris is very much a descendent of the classic Beetle. Everything you need. Nothing you don't. When people ask about it? I reply with comments like How much car does one person need? or This car does absolutely everything that most people need in a car. or I work hard for my money, why would I want to give more than I have to to oil companies? or I'm not trying to impress anyone or compensate for anything. or the simplest of all It was a smart choice.
The one thing that does bug me is when people think I bought a Yaris because it's all I could afford. That's not the case at all and those people competely miss the point.
or in two words: Not compensating

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Don't take this personally, Gene... but do think about it.

In reading your story, I read the story of not two, but THREE people who were driving like assholes.

In the end, if they had allowed you to pass, you would have gone... what, maybe 5 mph faster for something like 8 miles? At 60 mph, 8 miles takes 8 minutes. Even if they slowed you down to 45, it would have added about 2 minutes to your commute. Is it really worth all that fuss?

You need to know that people don't like to be tailgated or run-up on. I know I don't. I'm not a left lane hog, but I guarantee you that whatever reason I'm in the left lane will take a lot longer and I'll make a really slow lane change if the guy behind me is being a dick.

Have a little empathy for the other driver. If they're inclined to move out of your way, they'll do it without you being a dick. If they're not inclined, no amount of dickishness from a Yaris driver is going to convince them.

And if they're not going to let you by... relax and follow at a safe distance. It's not the end of the world.

This isn't Europe, mistake #1 was flashing your headlights.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I disagree, the truck driver should allow people to pass. That is the safest option for everyone.

On a road trip with my son we came across a Corolla pacing an 18 wheeler with a black Mercedes trying to pass. It was a hilly section with two lanes. The Corolla would speed up like he was going to over take the truck, then slow down. Mercedes would speed up, then move to the right lane thinking the Corolla let the truck go ahead. When the Mercedes moved to the right lane my son wanted to move up. I told my son to stay back and let the Mercedes deal with the Corolla, "Let the two assholes fight it out." We stayed five to seven car lengths back while another car showed up and wanted to pass. This went on for over five miles until the truck pulled off. As we passed the Corolla the driver was laughing his ass off. I told my son that there are drivers that get there sport pissing other drivers off.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
I disagree, the truck driver should allow people to pass. That is the safest option for everyone.
Absolutely! But, if that doesn't happen, tailgating that truck, weaving in and out "doing battle" with other drivers vying for that passing position is NOT the next best thing.

Always remember Loren's rules of driving:
Rule #1: People are stupid.
Rule #2: Don't Be Stupid!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo View Post
Good story Gene,
i hate people that drive slow in the fast lane
You'd HATE living here in Cali.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
I don't mind that at all. It was all I could afford in a new car (my first ever, at the age of 52 when I got it). No shame there.
I've had people say "What, no power windows?". The answer is always the same - "If you don't have the energy to wind down your window, you shouldn't be driving." And a hand-cranked window in the rain or snow ALWAYS goes up faster than the electric version.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
I don't mind that at all. It was all I could afford in a new car (my first ever, at the age of 52 when I got it). No shame there.
I've had people say "What, no power windows?". The answer is always the same - "If you don't have the energy to wind down your window, you shouldn't be driving." And a hand-cranked window in the rain or snow ALWAYS goes up faster than the electric version.
You're a great American my friend. Who needs power windows?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
You'd HATE living here in Cali.

I visit LA, San Fran, and Sacramento for business every year your right i would probably be in jail if i lived there
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
oilman930

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Hatchback
This isn't Europe, mistake #1 was flashing your headlights.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with this statement at all. Flashing to pass is the proper technique when coming up to slower cars. Flash to pass is in every drivers education manual that I have ever read. It's not my fault the other driver doesn't know the rules of the road. The US needs better driver education.
oilman930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #16
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Gene gets into more situations in a month than I do all year. I have driven the past 25 years 17,000 miles/year 425,000 miles with only one ticket and no accidents. Sure there are people that piss me off but safe and defensive driving starts with attitude.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM   #17
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman930 View Post
The US needs better driver education.
No sh!t.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #18
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman930 View Post
I don't agree with this statement at all. Flashing to pass is the proper technique when coming up to slower cars. Flash to pass is in every drivers education manual that I have ever read. It's not my fault the other driver doesn't know the rules of the road. The US needs better driver education.
It's not a question of education, it's one of attitude. Most Americans don't see the lights flashing as "oh, I'm in the way of a faster car", they see it as "I'll drive whatever damned speed I want to, why is this asshole in such a hurry, and who does he think he is flashing his lights at me, anyway?".

Better to skip the confrontational attitude and just slide on by them without making a fuss. The alert driver has seen you before you flash your lights and if they're courteous, they're already planning on how to get out of your way. In this age of road rage and highway shootings, is it really wise to do ANYTHING that might piss off another driver? Especially when you're driving the smallest car on the road?

Last edited by Loren; 01-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.