Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 AM   #1
soldout

Drives: 2010 Blazing Blue 3 Door LB
Foggy windows

My windows always fog up real fast unless I keep the knob at front defrost setting. Why? Also i think I may have the stink air vent issue that I was reading about on here. Could those 2 be related?
95' - Delsol VTEC ~ The Racecar
12' - Burgman 400 ~ Garage Queen
09' - Agility 125 ~ 80mpg Daily Rider
09' - Metropolitan ~ Weee
14' - Ecosmart Metro ~ Razor
soldout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
My sedan still have that problem it doesn't bother me so much, as to the fogging idk I'd gotta ask the wife if she has that problem.

Off topic : got some pictures of that del sol? I got a black 97 si
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If they fog up quickly when not in defog mode then there is moisture in the air inside of the car. That moisture can come from your breath, from condensate in the bottom of the airbox or from moisture in the carpet. I find that if I am driving alone I get far less fogging than if my wife and daughters are in the car as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
If the air is moist, and it's much colder outside than in, the windows will fog up.

There's only two ways to deal with that: Blast hot air on the glass; or dry the air inside the car.

Hot air, is the defroster set on high heat. Takes cold air outside...as air is heated, its capacity for moisture increases; and if no water is added it becomes much drier. So even if it's 80 percent humidity outside at 0 F, once it's warmed up to 90F or so, it'll be very dry. Blasted on the glass, it will dry it off.

The other way, is to turn the heat down - and put the Air Conditioning ON. Yup...Air Conditioning dries the air. You're in your car on a snowy day...your shoes and pants are wet with snow; there's puddles in the footwells. That moisture circulates. Air Conditioning dries the air to where it will help remove the window steam without melting your face.

Third option, of course, is to just open a window. Not a big deal at 30F; killer when it's ten below.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The other way, is to turn the heat down - and put the Air Conditioning ON. Yup...Air Conditioning dries the air.
Defrost setting is kicking in the A/C compressor. That is why all the F/E fanatics go to great lengths to avoid using defrost.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Defrost setting is kicking in the A/C compressor. That is why all the F/E fanatics go to great lengths to avoid using defrost.
I don't know this for a fact; but I believe that the A/C compressor isn't ALWAYS on with Defrost. Seems to vary according to other, unknown factors - temperature, maybe; or engine temperature.

But you're right, it does generally go on. I don't like it for just that reason, fuel economy; but truth is it DOES help a LOT with window fogging.

Older Chryslers used to turn off the A/C compressor if you pulled out the DEFROST button after pressing it in, on those pushbutton heater controls they had. Worked that way even after they removed the tang that let you easily pull the button back. In that little way, Chrysler was ahead of Toyota...
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
soldout

Ok, so you guys are telling me im getting almost 50mpgs on winter blend with my ac on blasting hot air? The interior space on my delsol is probably half of what the yaris has and it never fogs up like the yaris does.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
eseibel67

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I had a severe window fogging/icing problem on an 07 sedan and it was making me nuts. I checked everything that could possibly be causing it such as wet floor or seats, leaking windshield, clogged drain from evap case, or leaking heater core. All checked out ok.

The solution was so simple it's embarassing. The HVAC control was set to "recirculate". Switched it back to fresh air and it's all good now.
eseibel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
It looks like i'm not alone with this issue. But it doesn't bother me much, as it clears itself out once the engine is warm and blows hot air. Otherwise, defrost it goes or i turn on the AC.

This didn't happen with the Echo i had before.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
soldout

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseibel67 View Post
I had a severe window fogging/icing problem on an 07 sedan and it was making me nuts. I checked everything that could possibly be causing it such as wet floor or seats, leaking windshield, clogged drain from evap case, or leaking heater core. All checked out ok.

The solution was so simple it's embarassing. The HVAC control was set to "recirculate". Switched it back to fresh air and it's all good now.

You saved my life.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseibel67 View Post

The Gen3 has an electric switch, not a dial; a button that locks down to close off fresh air. Put it in DEF and the button pops out.

I personally don't like it - many times I've used the fresh-air cut-off when behind an out-of-tune diesel or near a squashed skunk. And I used to warm the interior of the car with the fresh air cut off, but the fan low and blowing on the glass. With no bodies inside, it did fine - and warmed up the interior faster.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
RJay

Drives: 2002 Toyota Yaris T-sport
I have the same with my yaris and have had the same with my old seat marbella (yeah, google it, and I dare you to laugh because those things are epic). Alongside the car's own systems I just put a moisture eater on the passenger seat, one of these things you usually put in the room with your wooden instruments or fancy clothes:

I have to say it really helps :) Off course when the car is full it will still fog, but in general it keeps the inside of the windows moist free.
The other thing that helps is cleaning your windows on the inside with some fat remover or glass cleaner.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:15 AM   #13
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
A tiny leak in the heater core can cause your windows to easily fog and not be big enough to wet the floor or carpets.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote