Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2022, 12:14 PM   #451
Teron

Drives: 11 Yaris 5dr.
Welcome Max! These are great cars, and I am sure it will work well for you.

I have had the same lights on for 3 years now, and no problems. My biggest problem is the occasional passenger that whines about it and thinks the brake system is going to stop working during the drive. I have been watching this post for a while in hopes that someone will find the cure. But my lights are still on, and the car still drives fine.

Last edited by Teron; 12-01-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Teron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:14 AM   #452
Kasbien

Drives: 07 Sedan (AT)
2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan with 96,000km.

ABS and E-brake lights came on while visiting the interior of BC where the temperature ranged far into the negatives. Found this thread and performed the DIY fix of contact cleaner + a light coating of dialectic grease. No lights since, and I've been back into some temperatures hovering around freezing in my area and a few highway trips. Thank you contributors for pioneering a solution! I'll likely do this once a year for preventive maintenance.

PS: A spray bottle of water to clean things off before starting is very helpful if your undercarriage is covered in "winter grime." Then use a hair dryer or heat gun after cleaning out the contacts with cleaner to help it evaporate faster (if you're working in cold temperatures like I was).
Kasbien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:04 AM   #453
edlow

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS 4 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasbien View Post
2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan with 96,000km.

ABS and E-brake lights came on while visiting the interior of BC where the temperature ranged far into the negatives. Found this thread and performed the DIY fix of contact cleaner + a light coating of dialectic grease. No lights since, and I've been back into some temperatures hovering around freezing in my area and a few highway trips. Thank you contributors for pioneering a solution! I'll likely do this once a year for preventive maintenance.

PS: A spray bottle of water to clean things off before starting is very helpful if your undercarriage is covered in "winter grime." Then use a hair dryer or heat gun after cleaning out the contacts with cleaner to help it evaporate faster (if you're working in cold temperatures like I was).
are you able to share the thread @Kasbien
edlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:17 PM   #454
ps667stop

Drives: yaris
2011 Yaris ABS light problem

I have a 2011 5 door yaris. The parking brake, traction control and ABS lights had been occasionally coming on at the same time. Now they have stayed on permanently. I disconnected the cables going from behind the rear seat to the hub on each of the wheels and measured continuity of the cables. Both cables were fine. I tried clean the connectors of the ABS sensor with contact cleaner and nothing changed. Any other tests I could try before randomly ordering parts? :) Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by ps667stop; 03-23-2023 at 01:51 PM.
ps667stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #455
ps667stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps667stop View Post
I have a 2011 5 door yaris. The parking brake, traction control and ABS lights had been occasionally coming on at the same time. Now they have stayed on permanently. I disconnected the cables going from behind the rear seat to the hub on each of the wheels and measured continuity of the cables. Both cables were fine. I tried clean the connectors of the ABS sensor with contact cleaner and nothing changed. Any other tests I could try before randomly ordering parts? :) Thanks for any advice.
Here is an update... I got two new rear bearing hubs with abs sensor in Ottawa for $115 after taxes for the pair. I replaced the rear right, it seemed to fix the problem, but after about 5km drive the lights came back on. I replaced the left one and have not had an issue since. 7 of the bolts holding the hubs on came off easily, one needed a bit of heat from a propane torch. The new hubs did not come with replacement bolts. The hubs are tricky to remove because of the rust. I watched a YouTube video by Alan Howatt "Toyota Yaris Rear Wheel Bearing Removal...No Problem" and it came off easy following his directions.

Last edited by ps667stop; 04-25-2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:07 PM   #456
pseudomonas

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps667stop View Post
Here is an update... I got two new rear bearing hubs with abs sensor in Ottawa for $115 after taxes for the pair. I replaced the rear right and this fixed the warning light issue. The hubs are tricky to remove because of the rust. I watched a YouTube video by Alan Howatt "Toyota Yaris Rear Wheel Bearing Removal...No Problem" and it came off easy following his directions.
Hello @ps667stop. Where in Ottawa did you manage to find rear bearing hubs with abs for that price? I am from around here too and am dealing with the ABS and (!) light on my dashboard. When I checked the connector attached to the hearing hub, it was squeaky clean. I still tried squirting some electric parts cleaner, but it did not seem to help in any way. Looks like I may have to change the bearing after all. Its a shame because the bearing seems to work just fine. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time. Cheers!
pseudomonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:12 PM   #457
ps667stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudomonas View Post
Hello @ps667stop. Where in Ottawa did you manage to find rear bearing hubs with abs for that price? I am from around here too and am dealing with the ABS and (!) light on my dashboard. When I checked the connector attached to the hearing hub, it was squeaky clean. I still tried squirting some electric parts cleaner, but it did not seem to help in any way. Looks like I may have to change the bearing after all. Its a shame because the bearing seems to work just fine. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time. Cheers!
A place called "AutoShack" were selling them out of Ottawa on ebay canada for $98.87 for a pair, plus taxes, free shipping. They have an actual store address at AutoShack 201 Iber Road, Ottawa, Ontario K2S 1E7, Phone (613) 287-3880.

Its written "made in China" on the box, but they looked exactly like the originals. My wheels have not fallen off yet
Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2023, 09:40 AM   #458
pseudomonas

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris
Great. Thank you @ps667stop. I will check them out :) cheers.
pseudomonas is offline   Reply With Quote