Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
andysong

Drives: 2007 yaris
CEL afer oil pressure light

Recently my oil pressure light started blinking while i was driving. as i was driving the light eventually just stayed on. after a bit my CEL also came on with the oil pressure light. once i got home i checked oil level and it was low. I topped my yaris with the appropriate amount of oil. and the oil pressure light was gone. but my CEL stayed. why is my CEL still on? did the oil pressure cause the CEL to come on? will it eventually go away? Thanks in advance. all help will be appreciated.
andysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Driving with the oil pressure light on is a very dangerous thing to do for the engine.

There is not a diagnostic code for the low oil pressure, so you may have thrown another code during that time. Most chain auto parts stores will read the trouble codes for no charge, so you may want to go that route.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysong View Post
Recently my oil pressure light started blinking while i was driving. as i was driving the light eventually just stayed on. after a bit my CEL also came on with the oil pressure light. once i got home i checked oil level and it was low. I topped my yaris with the appropriate amount of oil. and the oil pressure light was gone. but my CEL stayed. why is my CEL still on? did the oil pressure cause the CEL to come on? will it eventually go away? Thanks in advance. all help will be appreciated.
I suppose you could take the car to a mechanic to be 100% certain that it was only the low oil pressure that tripped the CEL, but I'd think it's likely that the low oil pressure is the only culprit. So you'll need to reset the CEL. Open the hood (when your Yaris is cold/hasn't been driven recently). Disconnect the clamp/cable from the negative battery terminal. Leave it disconnected for 15 minutes. Reconnect the clamp/cable to the negative battery terminal and make sure the clamp is secure. Start your Yaris. The CEL should have reset itself. This is true for some other Toyotas, so I imagine it might be the same for the Yaris. CTScott will likely know for sure. If you try what I suggested, I don't think it could hurt your Yaris. It might not work re resetting the CEL, but I don't think it could hurt your Yaris.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
That's a scary thing. What ever happened Andy?
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
How funny. CTScott and I were typing a reply at the same time. Disregard my previous post (It might reset the light, but you need to deal with what CTScott is mentioning. He knows what he is talking about.)
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
andysong

Drives: 2007 yaris
I drove the car to the gym this morning with no problems. CEL is still on though, im gonna try what nookandcranny suggested first, and if that does not get rid of the light ill just head to a shop. Thanks for the replys
andysong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Unplugging the negative cable for a while will clear it if the issue is not persistent, but I would want to know what the code was, rather than just clearing it.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Probably a vvti code as the valve timing is based in your oil pressure
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Running with low oil and CEL on is most likely the vvti solenoid not getting oil flow and trips the check engine light, you may need to check out that solenoid
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote