Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
I'll ask again: How to mount license plate securely with no holes?

How can I mount my front plate to my 2009 toyota yaris without making new holes in the front bumper? It currently has no holes and I really don't want to make any. On top of that, I really didn't see any way to mount the plate on the bumper cover, that was actually secure. Just screwing into that weak plastic isn't going to last long. Been there, done that, on other cars. It always eventually falls off.

So where the heck do you mount the plate securely? There must be somewhere. Someone linked a tow hook mount last time, but I really don't want to use that. Plus it was $70 and that's a bit too much for a freakin' license plate bracket. Is there no simple, cheap, easy way to do this? If not, then screw you, Toyota!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Screwing the plate to the front bumper really is not a problem. Both of my roadable ones have front plates and they are both on there securely. When I picked up my brand new 2009 from the dealer, the sales person mounted my new plates right in front of me.

The key is using large coarse thread screws (#10 or #12 screws) and not over torquing them, which will strip the plastic. If you are really concerned about not using fasteners into the plastic you could use 3M emblem adhesive or one of their automotive trim tapes to attach it to the bumper.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
BennyLava

I dont wanna! My bumper has no holes! I hate to put some in there at this point. Does anyone at least have a professional looking bracket?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
You could try 3M Scotch Dual Lock Reclosable Fastners - 1 inch x 3 inches. I use them on my dash and they are rock solid after almost 5 years of Humid Subtropical heat. I had the same 'model' on another car for 5 years prior to getting my Yaris. I've nver tried using them on the outside of a vehicle, but they've never left any residue when taking them off re no longer using the equipment they were holding....so I'd probably test one in an inconspicuous place on the exterior. Last time I checked, radio Shack still carried them and IIRC they were $3.99 USD for 4 of the 1x3 strips. They come in at least Black and also clear. I've always used the clear ones.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
If you don't want to drill holes why not just not have a front plate?

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
If you don't want to drill holes why not just not have a front plate?
Many states require it now. I have even been harassed which driving those states when I didn't have mine on. Maine requires a front plate and so does Customs when you cross or at least they will give you plenty of crap about it if you don't have it on in my experience.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
I dont wanna! My bumper has no holes! I hate to put some in there at this point. Does anyone at least have a professional looking bracket?
This would be your only solid option then:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Tow...?categoryId=-1

Using the 3M tape is a novel idea, but in the high heat that you will most likely encounter there in TX I am not really thinking that it will stay for long especially with the turbulence of driving and exposure to moisture. I tried that route myself with my Army Veteran plate. Was not successful. It fell off, but at least it did it in my driveway. It is what it is.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
BennyLava

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Many states require it now. I have even been harassed which driving those states when I didn't have mine on. Maine requires a front plate and so does Customs when you cross or at least they will give you plenty of crap about it if you don't have it on in my experience.
They're all garbage, more government intrusion into our life. Normally I don't run one just to spite them and local cops don't even care. But the wife keeps getting bothered by Barney Fife on the way to work 1 small town over. They got nothing better to do it seems.

Well if I do end up having to drill holes, is there at least a professional looking one? One of those black ones that the plate rests in. Typically, they look like they sort of mold to the bumper cover itself. As if they are part of it. And usually are made out of black plastic.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
47_MasoN_47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Many states require it now.
Jeez. AL is apparently one of the few free states left where every aspect of vehicle ownership isn't regulated in every fathomable freaking way.

Lol, regulating where you put license plates. wtf.

Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have to admit that I'm a bit confused. Why would you not want to fasten the plate with a couple of screws whenever it it required by law to have one? Your rear plate is screwed on...... correct?
When front plate is also required, screw one on.

Is it a DD or, some very expensive dedicated show car?

I can not understand all the aversion to a front plate as most industrialized countries and most states require one as it does not make sense to have one only in the rear .
"State's rights"? Give me a break.

FWIW.....My '09 HB came from the dealer with a proprietary black plastic front license plate bracket and IMO looks very nice.

Last edited by RedRide; 06-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #11
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
How about making a bracket which attaches to the bottom bolts of the bumper? Might not work if you have a lip though
Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Like Adrian said, no holes with this:

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Tow...?categoryId=-1
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
move to Florida. No front plate required
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #14
47_MasoN_47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
I can not understand all the aversion to a front plate as most industrialized countries and most states require one as it does not make sense to have one only in the rear .
"State's rights"? Give me a break.
Because it's stupid. There's already a plate on the back, why do you need one on the front? If you start making the big bucks one day and buy a nice Lambo are you going to be all excited to take a powerdrill to that mufugga because some dickhole politician thinks you need to be identified more easily?

Most industrialized countries don't have gun rights either, and all of those guys can kiss my M-11's ejection port.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
WTF do gun rights have to do with it? Please keep your politics out of this thread.

FYI, cops frequently need to see a criminal's license plate when they are coming towards them, not just when following them

Now, I'm all for a state's right not to to require a front plate, So what is your complaint ? It just annoys me when people scream "state's rights" without a logical reason for it.

Do you just want to scream "State's rights"as some sort of battle cry or what"?

Quote:
If you start making the big bucks one day and buy a nice Lambo are you going to be all excited to take a powerdrill to that mufugga because some dickhole politician thinks you need to be identified more easily?
I would suspect (hope) that if you ever did get rich enough to buy a Lambo that you would be a bit more mature by then .

Last edited by RedRide; 06-03-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
47_MasoN_47

lol you're the one that brought up the state's rights thing. Noone else ever even mentioned that.

I brought up gun rights simply because the whole "most $x do $y" isn't a valid argument for actually doing something.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Velcro will work.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/pa...FSeCQgodERUAsw
Old 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Actually Mason, fnkngrv did in post #6. Regardless, poor comparison.

Last edited by Astroman; 06-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Closed Thread