Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #73
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Thought of you and this thread over the weekend because I follow a YouTuber named, Tyler Fialko. He has a few crazy project car builds and I sometimes watch them when in bed and unwinding before falling asleep. He hadn't posted in about a month but before that, he had a few vids up where they were prepping an area of their workshop for painting. More recently, he came back with a couple vids of him painting his 'whorevette' in that area. For all the chatting that's happened about ventilation, take a look at these crazies!

https://youtu.be/oXK1MfkFS0A?t=2m27s

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:08 PM   #74
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Thought of you and this thread over the weekend because I follow a YouTuber named, Tyler Fialko. He has a few crazy project car builds and I sometimes watch them when in bed and unwinding before falling asleep. He hadn't posted in about a month but before that, he had a few vids up where they were prepping an area of their workshop for painting. More recently, he came back with a couple vids of him painting his 'whorevette' in that area. For all the chatting that's happened about ventilation, take a look at these crazies!

https://youtu.be/oXK1MfkFS0A?t=2m27s
Cool video! I'd think that all that overspray in the air would cause a rough surface on the clear coat as it dries and settles. It'll be interesting to see how well the base coat and clear coat overspray will be evacuated from my booth. There didn't seem to be much overspry from the primer.

I'm done all three coats now. Super impressed with the TCP Global 18 mm gun I bought. Put the primer on nice. But like I say, there's gonna be a lot of sanding in my near future. LOL.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:38 PM   #75
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Cool video! I'd think that all that overspray in the air would cause a rough surface on the clear coat as it dries and settles. It'll be interesting to see how well the base coat and clear coat overspray will be evacuated from my booth. There didn't seem to be much overspry from the primer.

I'm done all three coats now. Super impressed with the TCP Global 18 mm gun I bought. Put the primer on nice. But like I say, there's gonna be a lot of sanding in my near future. LOL.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #76
06YarisRS

Priming is done!

I put 4 coats of the Feather Fill on. Should be lots to block sand and get everything straight.

My plan is to block sand over the next couple days and shoot the base coat and clear coat on Wednesday. Kids will be away and the weather looks great.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-02-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #77
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
.... i am half tempted to suggest to see a custom livery on this... but keep up the work! I can dream ...
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #78
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
.... i am half tempted to suggest to see a custom livery on this... but keep up the work! I can dream ...
Haha, believe me I've at least thought of a color change. The only reason I nixed it is because I'd have to paint all the jambs, inner doors, trunk, hood etc etc. Way more than I'd like to get into.

I did see a gorgeous root beer brown metallic the other day.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:23 PM   #79
06YarisRS

I have been toying with the idea of a racing stripe, or double stripes. The other pic I found is of a stripe kit available on eBay. It is around $38.00. It's available in a variety of colors including, gloss black and matte black.

As an aside, all of my sanding is done and I'm on schedule to spray my base coat and clear coat tomorrow. Getting neerrrrvous, here. LOL

I think this vinyl kit would look super cool in matte against my Silver Streak Mica!

I thought about taping the car off and spraying the stripe on, but chickened out.

Old 07-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #80
06YarisRS

Base and Clear Coat Applied

Let me start by saying that this has been an experience that I have enjoyed. I'm not convinced I'll do it again lol. Let me also say that I have an even greater respect for auto body technicians and painters after having gone through this. I watched basically every episode of the Gunman on youtube. This guy really makes it look way too easy.

Basically everythng that could go wrong, did. On the tailgate, the basecoat reacted with something that I'd obviously applied in my earlier repairs and had not removed. It wrinkled up at the two upper corners of the hatch, each about a quarter in size. I have saved enough paint and clear coat to fix this. I'll probably have to repaint the whole tailgate, I'm hoping that the thick clear coat will hold down what caused the wrinkle - that's why I went ahead and cleared. Humidity was very high so I got some clouding in the clear but thankfully it did dissipate. I got some small trash in the clear, but it should sand out. So much for my sealed booth, lol. My sanding of the primer was less that perfect, so there are a few spots that are a slightly different texture. But, the car did reach my intended expectations: it is all one color and it is shiny.

I will definitely be color sanding the clear coat as it's a bit orange peely in places but I did use almost a gallon of clear, so I should have lots to sand. About 3/4 of the way through the clearcoat, my hand inadvertently turned down the regulator pressure. Suddenly the clear started going on super smooth. On my gun about 16 - 17 psi works best. I did get a couple runs, but these are easily sanded out.

I'd call it a 50, maybe 100 foot paint job, lol.

On to the pics:

Basecoat:

Clear coat:

Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #81
06YarisRS

Parts to reinstall...

I ordered the two front window belt mouldings as the old ones were in pretty rough shape plus I broke the clip on one before figuring out how to actually remove them. The old (rear) ones cleaned up super nice. I wetsanded them with 600 and then 1500 I had laying around. A little Meguiar's polish and a coat of acrylic and they look almost as good as the new ones. I painted the fog light bezels with adhesion promoter and about 6 coats of satin black, then a few coats of the acrylic sealant.

The badges have had 3M tape applied.

I'll post up some pics of the car after everything is put back on.

I will be repainting the hatch later this summer and possibly the rear passenger door as it has a couple of spots that detract from the overall appearance.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 07-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #82
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Damn. That really isn't bad for a DIY spray job.

The Gunman on YouTube makes it look so easy.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #83
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
Damn. That really isn't bad for a DIY spray job.

The Gunman on YouTube makes it look so easy.
Thanks! I definitely learned a lot. Next time, I'll block sand with guide coat. It was very stupid of me to not do that. I think I would have had a much, much better job had I done that. I basically rushed the job at the end. What I would give to back up 3 days. I have to keep in mind that it is a 12 year old car and it's got other signs of wear and tear. That said, I do feel regretful that I didn't take the time to properly sand.

There are some spots where the clear is not as thick as others. It's still a good covering in those spots. But, I would defintely pay closer attention and plan out a strategy. It's very easy to forget where you left off.

Overall the car looks decent, I suppose, in that it is all one color and fairly glossy. I'm having second thoughts about color sanding the clear coat. One, I don't want to run the risk of cutting into the base coat and two, it would only make the flaws in the base coat more pronounced.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #84
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Bravo for doing all that. Gotta ask though, why not go with a custom colour since you repainted the entire car? Not that there is anything wrong with going with silver.
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #85
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
Bravo for doing all that. Gotta ask though, why not go with a custom colour since you repainted the entire car? Not that there is anything wrong with going with silver.
Thanks M4One.

Primarily, I love silver but the main reason is that I didn't want to have to paint all the jambs, inner doors, under hood, engine bay etc. I have seen some colors that would look amazing on the RS for sure. Most recently was a beautiful root beer brown I saw on one car. I think that if I was repainting though again, I might go for a white. I think white Yari look really great.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #86
06YarisRS

Done...

Well, basically done. I still need to remove a lot of overspray - mostly from the older attempted repairs/painting I'd done. Also, a few bits of tape in the grille to remove. I have to paint the screen under where the plate goes. I'm afraid I'll have to do that with a paint brush. Tedius, but don't want any black on the new silver.

All the effort and it looks the same except for a couple things: It's all one color but the paint isn't as good as factory, two, there are no more dents and dings.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #87
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Great job, what do you mean the paint isn't as good as oem - what did you notice was different?
Old 07-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #88
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Looks like you've done an outstanding job there. I've painted a few cars in my time, and I know it takes a lot of hard work and patience. BTW, Toyota's OEM paint is pathetic.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #89
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Great job, what do you mean the paint isn't as good as oem - what did you notice was different?
Thanks! Because I didn't sand enough the metallic flake didn't settle uniformly. In certain lighting, you can see the rougher texture. The metallic isn't completely uniform across all panels of the car. I think my spraying is not bad and if I'd had a truly smooth surface, it would have been more uniform and 'flatter', less peel effect. The primer went on quite peely and despite a fair bit of sanding - and it feeling smooth to the touch - it resulted in a somewhat textured base coat in areas.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #90
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Looks like you've done an outstanding job there. I've painted a few cars in my time, and I know it takes a lot of hard work and patience. BTW, Toyota's OEM paint is pathetic.
Thanks Kimona! From my online readings the Japanese cars have flat (low peel, smooth) paint whereas European cars have more peel purposefully. I like the really flat smooth paint that 'was' on my Yaris before I repainted. I'd be interested in hearing about the cars you painted and your process if you're willing to share.