Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #37
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobob View Post
I am nervous about trying this. Is there a chance to short the wrong terminals and set off the air bag ? Do I have to connect the airbags before resetting this module using this procedure ?
You can't set off the airbags using this procedure. The worst that you could do by connecting the wrong pins is to pop the ODB fuse, which only provides power to the OBD II connector.

You do want to have everything hooked up before doing the procedure, otherwise anything that is not connected will cause an error to be reported, and you will not be able to clear all of the errors (and turn off the light).
Old 01-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #38
jobob

Drives: 2008 sedan
Airbag reset, seatbelt problem

Ok, I reset the module and got the steady blinking. But it didn't reset. Found that the driver belt had fired in the normal position (Must not have been worn when crashed). Bought used (Undeployed) belts off ebay. Just got them but they are stuck in a retracted position and won't pull out. I am afraid they are deployed and the seller just thought they were ok. Do you have to apply power/plug the belts in to allow them to release or are the deployed if they won't pull out when the belts aren't installed ?

thanks
kp
jobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, I reset the module and got the steady blinking. But it didn't reset. Found that the driver belt had fired in the normal position (Must not have been worn when crashed). Bought used (Undeployed) belts off ebay. Just got them but they are stuck in a retracted position and won't pull out. I am afraid they are deployed and the seller just thought they were ok. Do you have to apply power/plug the belts in to allow them to release or are the deployed if they won't pull out when the belts aren't installed ?

thanks
kp
If the car was in a crash you can't completely reset the SRS without either replacing the SRS ECU or clearing the "black box" info, which is stored in a EEPROM on within the SRS ECU. I have successfully reverse engineered the SRS ECU reset process and can do the clearing process.

As for the seat belts, try holding them in the orientation that they would be mounted in. There is a little metal ball that locks the seatbelt when the car is in a position other than full upright (this is separate of the pull it fast locking mechanism and the explosive pretensioner). This is the correct position:

Seatbelt.jpg
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #40
jobob

Drives: 2008 sedan
seatbelt

Ok, that did it for one and the other I am sure is fine too..

so using the procedure above, I can't reset the module ? I got it to the point the airbag light flashed consistantly but then it gave me an error which pointed to the seatbelt. I figgured I could put the new belt in and reset the module again using the above technique ?

thanks for all you help

kp
jobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #41
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok, that did it for one and the other I am sure is fine too..

so using the procedure above, I can't reset the module ? I got it to the point the airbag light flashed consistantly but then it gave me an error which pointed to the seatbelt. I figgured I could put the new belt in and reset the module again using the above technique ?

thanks for all you help

kp
You can try the procedure and once the bad seatbelt(s) are replaced, you will no longer get the code(s), but if the SRS light remains on after that, then a reset or replace of the SRS module will be required.

I have a couple of different part number ones on my test bench (there are 4 or so different ones, relative to the year of the car, how many airbags, etc.) If you want to PM me your VIN I can verify which part number yours has, and if it matches one of the ones I have I can ship a clear one to you and have you ship yours back to me. The online places that offer the service charge $50 to do so. I would be willing to do it for $30.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #42
edelgados27

Drives: Yaris S 2007
Exclamation Problem srs AIRBAG.

Hello.

Some time ago I had problems with the code 14 in the end the problem was the wiring.

A couple of weeks ago, the srs light was returning to be turned on, but only when he turned the wheel, was paid in the next engine start.

Yesterday, I remain fixed, I thought it was past connections, so I went back to splice the wires.

Now I have the code 14 and 51, my question is, if I change the front sensor wires with the battery connected, the code 14 again, or should automatically eliminate, or scanner is required to remove it.

The 51 is the spiral cable, even should I check.

I appreciate your valuable help, I'm desperate for that light.
edelgados27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelgados27 View Post
Hello.

Some time ago I had problems with the code 14 in the end the problem was the wiring.

A couple of weeks ago, the srs light was returning to be turned on, but only when he turned the wheel, was paid in the next engine start.

Yesterday, I remain fixed, I thought it was past connections, so I went back to splice the wires.

Now I have the code 14 and 51, my question is, if I change the front sensor wires with the battery connected, the code 14 again, or should automatically eliminate, or scanner is required to remove it.

The 51 is the spiral cable, even should I check.

I appreciate your valuable help, I'm desperate for that light.
The 14 and 51 codes are both ones which will not clear on their own or by disconnecting the battery. Look at the first page of this thread for instructions on how to clear the codes, using the same jumper that you used to read them.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #44
edelgados27

Thanks for the reply.

Again turn off the light, but determined that only turns on when I move the steering wheel fully to the left, for example in reverse.

As one of the codes is 51, is likely to be the coiled cable, for the symptoms.

With the lights out, if I use the cable actually tells me that the error codes are 14 and 51, the 14 and this resulted for months but 51 is new.

It's interesting, because when I turn on the light, to turn off and on the engine shuts down, the initial check.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #45
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelgados27 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Again turn off the light, but determined that only turns on when I move the steering wheel fully to the left, for example in reverse.

As one of the codes is 51, is likely to be the coiled cable, for the symptoms.

With the lights out, if I use the cable actually tells me that the error codes are 14 and 51, the 14 and this resulted for months but 51 is new.

It's interesting, because when I turn on the light, to turn off and on the engine shuts down, the initial check.
Yes - 51 is the spiral cable. With it coming back when you turn the wheel fully to one side the ribbon cable inside of it has a damaged spot.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #46
edelgados27

Thank you very much my friend, my first time using the forum, is excellent tool for fans of Yaris.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #47
07HBYaris

Drives: Yaris HB 2007
A recall for this finally!

http://corporatenews.pressroom.toyot...bly+040814.htm

Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #48
WestCoast

Drives: yaris
Hi CTscott,
My 2007 Yaris Air Bag light come on now.
Just read the error code number is B1801, what I should do next?
Thanks in advance,
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #49
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Hi CTscott,
My 2007 Yaris Air Bag light come on now.
Just read the error code number is B1801, what I should do next?
Thanks in advance,
Make a bee-line for your local dealer. You have a bad clockspring, which is under recall.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #50
WestCoast

Thank you so much for your quickly reply CTScott.
I just called my local dealer, they told me my 2007 Yaris is not under recall for bad clockspring. Where I can complain about this safety issues?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #51
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thank you so much for your quickly reply CTScott.
I just called my local dealer, they told me my 2007 Yaris is not under recall for bad clockspring. Where I can complain about this safety issues?
Son of a gun. I forgot that the recall does not apply to "all" yet. I would call Toyota corporate to complain, and hopefully get them to expand the limits of the recall.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #52
WestCoast

My VN is: JTDKT923275046020
They said my model only have 2 recalls.
233-Driver's front seat track
915-Center Pillar sound insulator

But doesn't have the Bad clock spring recall.
Can I fix it by myself first, then apply an imbursement when my model have recall?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #53
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
My VN is: JTDKT923275046020
They said my model only have 2 recalls.
233-Driver's front seat track
915-Center Pillar sound insulator

But doesn't have the Bad clock spring recall.
Can I fix it by myself first, then apply an imbursement when my model have recall?
You replace it yourself, but I don't believe you will ever get reimbursed. You can pickup an aftermarket one off ebay for $35. Swapping it out is not all that bad. Here's a video of what is involved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWSzVeILhc
Old 08-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #54
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
So my airbag light is on in the instrument panel, this is most likely to be a code 51 and this is what the spiral cable recall was talking about?

I already received the interim recall letter, but I haven't received the remedy letter, anyone know when it will arrive?
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airbag