Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #1
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Updated pics, Sparco seats + Momo steering wheel

As usual, many thanks to the crew at Micro Image for the goods...you guys never fail to impress me. I really really really realllly like the new wheel, it took a good 20 minutes to adjust to but man is it nice having that much control. I didn't know what I've been missing.

Please, spare me the comments about air bags. There are plenty of threads on the topic already and I'd be grateful if you kept that conversation there.

Getting ready for Toyota Fest...
Sparco Torino 2's

I've got some NOS throwback Sparco harnesses (from a member here) to go with the seats, installation is on the "to-do" list...I can't wait to get them in.
Momo Volanti Montecarlo steering wheel

NRG short hub + version 2.5 quick disconnect

Engine bay
As it sits that's my daily driver setup. I'm having a MI engine cover powder coated to match for shows, there are some other small odds and ends on the way as well(oil filler cap,radiator cap, etc) that I'll keep to swap in at the show.

And finally, the way the back will ended up...I think that'll do for the foreseeable future. It's working out perfectly for work.

All in all I have to say I'm impressed with the way this project is turning out. For as many miles as it has on it a car like this normally doesn't get a "second chance" to become something cool. I hope she appreciates all the work I'm putting in.

MUCH more to come...

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Whats the netting for? lol

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
ijose 845

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris
what kind of rails did you use for the seats? i caint find that much rails for the yaris

Angry Bird Crew #1

ijose 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
We can provide sliders and brackets for almost any seat; there are a few choices. If you buy seats from us, we can make a complete package depending on what you need.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
^ I like to go fast!! seats add at least 10hp to the power per ton ratio.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the car is so sexy. I wish I could use an aftermarket non airbag wheel, but not in Ma...

Love the engine bay too.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Nice looking seats.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
DeathBeard

Drives: 2010 Yaris S
Personally on a street car I would never sacrifice the front airbag for a cooler steering wheel, the payoff is not there..Putting aside the fact you could be fatally injured your insurance company can also deny any legal obligation to help you since you took off the airbag...my 0.02

Proverbs 16:9
DeathBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post

Please, spare me the comments about air bags. There are plenty of threads on the topic already and I'd be grateful if you kept that conversation there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
Personally on a street car I would never sacrifice the front airbag for a cooler steering wheel, the payoff is not there..Putting aside the fact you could be fatally injured your insurance company can also deny any legal obligation to help you since you took off the airbag...my 0.02

Couldn't help yourself? haha, there's always at least one.

My odometer 03/11
Old 04-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
Whats the netting for? lol

I don't normally run a passenger seat...this was a very light day. It sucks major ass having a 60lb box make its way up front while your driving. ;)

My odometer 03/11
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBeard View Post
airbags kill. Airbags injur. Unless you are the perfect size 5'10" male weighing 200 or so you have a better chance of being injured by an airbag than it actually doing you any favors.

And if it is not against the law to take the airbag out then no the insurance company won't do anything.

Human beings are fatally injured while they sleep. I don't see anyone trying to get people to never sleep.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
airbags kill. Airbags injur. Unless you are the perfect size 5'10" male weighing 200 or so you have a better chance of being injured by an airbag than it actually doing you any favors.
Stats to prove this please. Just a few hundred people have been killed from airbags; many of these are people sitting too close to the steering wheel (it's now legal to have a dealer install a kill switch for the steering wheel bag if you're very short and sit very close). But yes airbags can injure you, but NO safety system is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Human beings are fatally injured while they sleep. I don't see anyone trying to get people to never sleep.
WTH does that mean?!?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
While you all can form your opinion on whether or not the airbag should still be in the car (I personally think it should, as many miles as Mazilla travels in it daily), the guy specifically stated one thing not to do. And yet everyone does it. o_O

Car is looking good. Any updated pics of the paint job? I remember the initial thread about that but I might have missed the 'after' pics. Not very keen on the engine bay tho. Yellow isn't my cup of tea.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
While you all can form your opinion on whether or not the airbag should still be in the car (I personally think it should, as many miles as Mazilla travels in it daily), the guy specifically stated one thing not to do. And yet everyone does it. o_O

Car is looking good. Any updated pics of the paint job? I remember the initial thread about that but I might have missed the 'after' pics. Not very keen on the engine bay tho. Yellow isn't my cup of tea.

-C
It was inevitable really...I knew the minute I thought about making a thread about the wheel swap this would happen. For anybody that thinks I haven't thought about the consequences, risks etc I can assure you I spent a long time making my decision. I'm a professional driver with more than 500,000 miles on the road in the last 10 years(I estimate that to be about 600K). I've had my fair share of accidents(freeway rollovers, head on into a concrete guardrail included)and I have yet to deploy an airbag.

I appreciate the concern, and thank you for leaving the topic of airbags alone from this point on.

As far as the yellow goes, I wasn't too keen on it either but I've gotten a lot of compliments so I decided to go with it...plus it matches my battery. ;)

My odometer 03/11
Old 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

black and yellow go great. You should see if you could find some more yellow replacement parts, you could have it be show car quality in there.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
DeathBeard

it's your car, it looks cool you do whatever you want, the seats look tits and the steering wheel is awesome..I am speaking from personal experience..I took the airbag out of my prelude for a nardi steering wheel 2 weeks later was involved in a spinout on the 55 fwy hit the center divider head on and fractured my face in 6 places, I fought the insurance company for over a year to cover my medical bills and they didn't..So if your saying that the insurance company covers you have no idea what your talking about. And although many people die due to airbags there are 10X more that die without them...And the fact that your a "professional" driver isn't the issue it's the person you don't see that will take you out.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #17
DeathBeard

Smile

i'll shut up now, i had the same seats in my 09 miata,

Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #18
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
From my economics class we learned that seat belts, air bags, and virtually any safety feature put on a vehicle does reduce the number of injuries from crashes... but increases the overall number of crashes (usually), because the more safety features a vehicle has the more risky people are willing to be. Hopefully removing the airbag will make him a better driver; lord knows he's got enough miles under his belt hahaha.