Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
sfamicom

Drives: Yaris LE 2012 3 door automatic
Seat Covers 2012

I was looking into getting some seat covers for my 2012 Yaris, and but I wanted to ask of anyone had any and their experience with them. Any information would be appreciated. I'd rather not buy them blindly.

Thanks!
sfamicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Most universal covers are horrible.I would look for a custom fit cover,
the difference in price is well worth it...
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It looks like Clazzio hasn't started selling them yet for the 2012, but it would be worthwhile checking to see when they will. I have Clazzio leather covers on my 2009 Yaris and my 2011 Tacoma and they are the best fitting covers I have seen and are reasonable cost-wise.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
Most universal covers are horrible.I would look for a custom fit cover,
the difference in price is well worth it...
I agree that the seats need aftermarket covers.......in any '12. I think Toyota generally did a good job re the styling with all '12 models and a good job re features. The two failures (IMO) 1.The dash is extremely ugly (but this wouldn't keep me from buying the car), and 2. The seat shape is good, but all of the color combinations/choices are terrible. They need to be covered up by a Clazzio product, or something equally simple and classic.

I will buy Clazzio covers when I replace my 2007 Yaris with a 2012-2016 3rd gen Yaris or 1st gen Prius C. I feel the seats in my '07 are too far along in their life cycle to justify getting Clazzio covers for them. I've always liked the dark color of the seats (and I love the dash), but I've never been that keen on the 'polka-dot-ishness' re the lighter blue dots on the seats and the front door fabric. About 1 year ago the driver's seat bottom fairly near the edge started to wear and the foam on the 'exit' side of the same seat back started to flatten. For some reason these issues bug me. I've had my eye open for an inexpensive solution that is simple -- that isn't garish.

I thought about getting entirely new front seats, but decided that if I get aftermarket seats I want them to be put in when a car is new.

A few days ago, I saw something that caught my eye and decided to buy one and take it home and try it on the driver's seat. I put it on, and despite being designed as a universal 'highback', I was able to easily pull it down. It fits very well. I lived with it for a few days and decided to not only keep it, but buy 3 more. I returned to Wal-Mart and the 2 that remained after my first purchase were gone. Two days (and 2 Wal-Marts) later I found a store with stock and bought 3 of them. Items that I put on the passenger seat now 'stay put' better than before. The seat covers that I purchased are Bell Black Shaggy Universal Bucket Seat Covers. I paid 21.96 + tax at Wal-Mart for each one (slightly more than Amazon). Both Amazon reviews are 5 star and the page states more inventory is on the way.

If I wear them out or they fade too much I have a back up pair. If they hold up well, I'll have a set to put on a 3rg gen 2012-2016 when the SE Texas sun is too hot to have the Clazzios on the seats. If the Prius C has a stock seat covering that I like, I may not use these for the 'too hot for the Clazzios' time of year and I am fine with that.

My feeling about these covers is somewhat nostalgic. I remember playing on shag carpeting when I was really little. They may not be QUITE A FEW people's cup of tea.

With (in the last 2 weeks) the new battery, new tires, Meguiar's product on the dash (search of Yarisworld posts was helpful!), and these seat covers my Yaris feels different than it did before...possibly refreshed enough to push past 300k miles rather than replacing it at that point.

For those of us who are seeking to wring as much value out of our 2nd Gen Yari as possible before taking the plunge on a 3rd Gen.....or have and also have an older Yaris...this product might be worth a look.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
DanMC

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
Will a seat cover interfere with side airbags ?...
DanMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
b20vteg
no show, no go :(

Drives: 2012 yaris 3dr hb
Send a message via MSN to b20vteg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMC View Post
Will a seat cover interfere with side airbags ?...
good question, i'd like to know this as well.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
DanMC

I have yet to see a proper seat cover that complies with todays safety standards like side air bags...i bet the seat cover will affect the side air bags...i run into the same problem when i searched for seat covers for our other car, the Honda Pilot. But if anyone can shed more light on "safe" seat covers i would love to know.
Thank you
Dan
Old 10-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yes clazzios are designed with side airbags in mind. I think there's videos on the web with it. Hell the dealers are selling it with full confidence lol. There's a few companies taking pre-orders for toyota aqua seat covers in leather (with removable headrests only) and one floating around in production now for like 800USD. Clazzio is taking pre-orders for their regular price.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
DanMC

enviri, thank you for info on Clazzio, i just emailed them, it seems that they only go up to '11...our Yaris as a '12 is not on their list...
Dan
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
shrek

Drives: 2012 5dr Manual Yaris
I work at a spare parts store and all of our new seat covers are able to be used. The seams are designed to be weaker to let the seat airbag deploy.

I have the Toyota genuine neoprene ones which are basically a throw over that has the sides exposed, not a huge fan but they were thrown in.
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek View Post
I work at a spare parts store and all of our new seat covers are able to be used. The seams are designed to be weaker to let the seat airbag deploy.

I have the Toyota genuine neoprene ones which are basically a throw over that has the sides exposed, not a huge fan but they were thrown in.
What were they called, the Toyota Neoprene ones ?
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
odg495

Drives: Yaris & Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
I've got these covers as well, I think they're great. Here's a link to the Aussie Toyota page for them:

http://www.toyota.com.au/yaris/acces...at_covers_vest

As Shrek mentioned, hey are a "vest" style, leaving the headrest and the upper side bolsters exposed, I'm happy they cover the light coloured trim that is likely to show any dirt ... if ever they make matching rear covers, I'll grab those as well.

As Shrek also said, they may be an aquired taste with the big yellow "Yaris" on them, but again, I quite like them.
odg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by odg495 View Post
I've got these covers as well, I think they're great. Here's a link to the Aussie Toyota page for them:

As Shrek mentioned, hey are a "vest" style, leaving the headrest and the upper side bolsters exposed, I'm happy they cover the light coloured trim that is likely to show any dirt ... if ever they make matching rear covers, I'll grab those as well.

As Shrek also said, they may be an aquired taste with the big yellow "Yaris" on them, but again, I quite like them.
OMG.....great fit!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBird View Post
With my next Yaris in mind....do you have any idea if they ship to the U.S. from Canada?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:40 AM   #15
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ I should have (before asking the above question) checked to see if these are currently available in the U.S. . I'll do that (but if you happen to know the answer off the top of your head re shipping to the U.S. from Canada, please share )
Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by odg495 View Post

They are nice, perfect. When will they be available in Canada and how much did they cost ?
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
See if Katzkin has a leather kit out yet. I just put them in my car and looks fantastic!
See my post here with pics...
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42173

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Here's abeautiful leather kit for the 2012....

http://www.dk-schweizer.nl/nl/showroomtoyota.aspx

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote