Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
zrwon

Drives: 07 5 door hatchback
ABS sensor replace without hub

I have been reading for 2 days on ABS wheel speed sensor but it’s always about warranty and complaining about Toyota should recall or the sensor can only be replaced with the hub assembly but the truth is that sensor is available without the hub assembly but I cannot find any write up on how to remove one and install a new one.
Is there anyone who ever attempted to replace a sensor without replacing the entire hub assembly? I know the hub has to be removed and I bought a sensor for $20 brand new and I intend to replace it without the hub bearing assembly.

I’m just trying to find information on how to do it, I have a shop press if needed but I would love to read a write up on how to do it.

If not then I will have to make a DIY myself and add it to this forum.

Thank you
Al
zrwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
zrwon

Drives: 07 5 door hatchback
My sensor pin was broken

I should mention that my sensor pin was broken and the connector was also broken, but there was no corrosion because the car was not driven in the winter.

The plastic of the connector was broken for some unknown reason and I will take a picture of it next time I remove it to replace the parts.
zrwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrwon View Post
I should mention that my sensor pin was broken and the connector was also broken, but there was no corrosion because the car was not driven in the winter.

The plastic of the connector was broken for some unknown reason and I will take a picture of it next time I remove it to replace the parts.
Those connectors are weird little thingies. They appear to sort of twist off and open up at the same time - not like any connector I've seen before. It's almost like a little shield that holds the connector in place. I too have seen the sensor-only part available on eBay. Sorry, have no experience installing one, but can't imagine it being overly complicated. I expect that they are just pressed in. And fortunately removing and installing a rear wheel bearing in the Yaris is not difficult. Good luck and I'll be following as I have to replace the sensor on my rear right and there's no point in trashing a perfectly good OEM wheel bearing.

Here is my temporary fix:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ABS

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
If your talking about rear hub ( front is press in) , the sensor is part of the hub and bearing and can't be replaced, harness can be.
Last time I checked, but it's been some time since I changed a rear bearing on a Yaris.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #5
06YarisRS

These are available on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Wheel-S....c100506.m3226

Also available on Rock Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ed+sensor,1912

Apparently Toyota also has one available:

https://parts.southern441toyota.com/...rol-8954452040

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 10-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
The manual shows it can be done using a bearing race splitter and the re install is with a specialized tool that is essentially a very large cup that you use to press it in
Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
if the ebay pic is what it looks like, why not just break the plastic lol
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I did see that is available, but good luck trying to replace it on the car with out specialty tools and not braking anything...I say replace the whole hub bearing and be done with.

Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:39 AM   #9
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
I've attached the procedure from the Toyota factory service manual. You can rent a bearing race splitter from Partsource.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brake_Control.pdf (132.7 KB, 45 views)
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #10
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
I did see that is available, but good luck trying to replace it on the car with out specialty tools and not braking anything...I say replace the whole hub bearing and be done with.

I agree with you that replacing the whole hub assembly would be easier. I guess it's a question if you want to spend more dollars, or expend more sweat equity. I wouldn't want to think about how much an OE wheel hub would cost around here. I like to use/retain OE parts as much as possible. When my ABS light comes back on - aka, my temporary fix fails - I'll be replacing the sensor only and without 'special tools' developed by Toyota. There's usually a work around.