Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
sherriebythesea

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Another newbie with another new Yaris Question

I got my Absolutely Red 5dr lb two weeks ago. I love my little Rosie!!
But I live in Tucson, AZ and I'm worried about protecting her from the sun. I don't have a carport or garage so she will be exposed virtually 24/7.

I have the Meguiar's Clay Kit, Absorbers, MF clothes, 2 buckets, a MF mitt and tomorrow morning is when I'm going to do it. Couldn't before now because it's either been too cold or raining. Strange spring for us.

Should I use Dawn to strip the dealers wax off? If not then what?
The Clay kit comes with a "cleaner wax". Should I use another wax on top of this or instead of??

What wax would be best to use to make sure Rosie doesn't get sunburned??

Thanks in advance for the advice

Sherrie
sherriebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
A good wax should protect the Paint, what you neglected to mention was the black rubber and plastic pieces around your car, them will be the first to fade and go. There's several products on the market to protect these and since you live in a Very hot area i'd dress these with whatever type of product you choose on a regular basis. How dark is your tint ? And do you have a front window visor for when you're parked. It may be an idea to look into some vent visors for your windows so you can leave the windows cracked and let out some of the heat during the day.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i use dawn only when i'm stripping wax and immediately applying a new coat. between waxings i use a dedicated car wash(meguiar's) so the wax doesn't wear as quickly. i too just used the claybar kit and was pleased with the results! i followed the claybar with the cleaner wax only, but some will tell you to follow that with a second layer(meguiar's tech wax 2.0 gets good feedback). sounds like you have all the basics covered in supplies - good luck!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
sherriebythesea

Drives: 2010 Yaris
When I saw the area around the wipers my first thought was that that was going to degrade real fast. I'm not sure what type of product to use to protect this. I'm sure a good search of this forum will bring up a lot of possibilities.

The dealer had the tint installed. All I know is that it is as dark as legally possible. The front windows and windshield are lighter than the back windows.

I will get a good windshield visor this weekend. I also have started using Meguiar's Interior but I'm sure the visor will help a lot.

And I will check out vent visors too (not even sure what they are yet :) )

Thank you
Sherrie
sherriebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Yes Ma'am search the forums, there's lots of info here, and if you have any other questions we're more than happy to help you out. Everybody is going to have there own "favorite" product they swear by, Just like if you went and talked to 10 different Detailers they'd tell you 10 different # 1 products to use. It's pretty much your own personal preference on what to use.

For the dash careful on what you throw on it, some products will sometimes do more harm than good, there's a difference between shining and cleaning, you could probably shine once a month and get a good vinyl and leather cleaner and clean in between shines. Plus majority of the "shine" products just attract more dust.

Just religiously set a day you're going to clean your car, Neglect is the biggest culprit of your paint going dull and your interior going to crap.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherriebythesea View Post
I got my Absolutely Red 5dr lb two weeks ago. I love my little Rosie!!

Should I use Dawn to strip the dealers wax off? If not then what?
The Clay kit comes with a "cleaner wax". Should I use another wax on top of this or instead of??

What wax would be best to use to make sure Rosie doesn't get sunburned??

Thanks in advance for the advice

Sherrie
I would avoid using Dawn to wash any car. Dish washing liquid is environmentally friendly and can be used as a week solution for regular washing. What it is good for is removing road tar.

Since you have a red car and no garage, you should wax your car regularly, like monthly. The wax will provide UV protection to help preserve your paint. You don't need to clay unless you're trying to show off your car. Any good wax used regularly will keep you car looking nice.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote