Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
derrick452

Drives: Yaris
A GIANT SCRATCH!!!

So I had the afternoon off and chose to wash my car. I get it home to finish drying it off and I have a scratch down the rear door on the passenger side thats about 6 or 7 inches long....I have no idea how it got there and I was so mad. I really dont know how it could have gotten there. I wonder if I hit it with the wand...I felt kind of sick about it. I have the automate application on the car and its just under 2 weeks old so Im hoping it absorbed the most of the scratch and I can put some rubbing compound on it tomorrow and get it out, or at least lighten it up. Anyone got any good ideas? Thanks.
derrick452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Sorry to hear about this. Believe me we all feel your pain! I'd say buff it out but not too harsh of a compound as it will take off the clear coat of the paint but you would have to do it very often and apply of lot of it, but just a heads up. I'd say use Formula1 Turtle Wax, it works wonders! I used it on my car with scratches and it reduced them quite a bit.

POST SOME PICTURES!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Don't use rubbing compound! Try scratch x first. Most scratches can be taken out with paint cleaner or polishes. If it's too deep even a rubbing compound won't work and will just damage the cc around it. A pic would help us give advise. :)

Edit: Too slow. :p Yeah same as he said.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I agree with the other posts; it just takes a second to permanently damage the paint finish, so be safe and start with a light wax first.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
derrick452

Scratch X didnt get it fixed...I took some pics but will have to wait til tonight to post them. Its bad. Gonna talk to the guy here who does the touch up on them and see what he can do for me.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
derrick452

Three shots of the same scratch..hard to get a good pic of it....Looks nasty.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Kaeon

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Hmm That doesn't seem that bad I'm surprised that scratch x didn't remove it or even help it out. I had some really bad ones that I had to use a buffer for.

Before:

After:

Old 09-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Stratch X sucks! It doesn't do anything from my experience. Get Turtle Wax Formula One, I believe that's what its call. Its in a green bottle, its a polishing wax. But it works! Even if the stratch isn't totally gone, it certainly reduces it.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
^ Scratch x is bad if you use it once. But If you re-apply it 2-5 times it does wonders.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
leasaunce

Drives: Toyota Yaris
try using the Chalk stick wax (like a lipstick). (as shown on the picture below)

leasaunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #11
Kaeon

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticorex View Post
^ Scratch x is bad if you use it once. But If you re-apply it 2-5 times it does wonders.
I wish I had a picture of my recent scratch on the Yaris's door. It was pretty bad and the first pass of scratch x took out most of the haze and some of the scratch after about 6 passes you can't even tell its was there. I don't know why people say it sucks its supposed to be a pretty mild abrasion. You will have to go over it a few times. Some other products Ive used have left way more tiny scratches. I personally love scratch x.