Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I also just had the 5K service done this weekend at the Toyota dealership where I bought my 08 HB. I was given two free 5K services, so I decided to take up the offer. I asked that synthetic oil be used, and was told I would have to pay the difference between it and conventional dino oil. No problem, I responded. When the car was ready 40 minutes later, the service guy realized they had used regular dino oil. I told him not to worry about it, but he insisted that they do it right and told me it would only take another 10-15 minutes. When they got done, the service guy said there would be no charge for the synthetic oil.

They also rotated the tires, checked the air pressure and did the following...

- Top off under hood fluid levels
- Inspect battery, steering, suspension, axles, brakes, exhaust, belts, hoses and brakes
- Lube locks, latches and hinges

On my way home from the dealership I noted a bit of a shimmy in the steering wheel at 55-60 MPH. I figured the wheels needed to be re-balanced so I went by Discount Tire this afternoon and bought their lifetime rotation, balance and repair coverage for $56. They rebalanced all four tires and said they were slightly out of balance. Now I can just go online and make an appointment to have the tires rotated and balanced every 5K miles, which takes about half an hour.

It may be a New York thing but I think your dealership is ripping you off. All the owner's manual calls for are the above items, there is no need for an air conditioner check nor a four-wheel alignment. The 5K service here in San Antonio normally runs $52.90; but this month the dealerships are running a special and it only costs $38.88 + tax (more if you want synth oil). Basically, it is the same thing your dealership wants $124.82 to do.

Hope that helps, but it may just make you feel worse!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #20
Yari-Chan

Drives: 2009 4-Door Sedan
Lots of potholes in NYC too.

I wonder if it is okay to rely on my car to tell me if I need an alignment.

Wee-Yari says, "Fourth - the car will tell you when you need an alignment. The steering may pull to one side or the other, the steering wheel is not perfectly centered when driving straight, or the tread on your tires is not wearing evenly across the width of the tire."
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Yari-chan dealers just love customers like you,as they can sell you neat stuff for your car like Muffler bearings, blinker fluid and piston return springs which they probably buy in bulk from this place http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3
Just kidding.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #22
markrg07

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris 4dr
[QUOTE=Yari-Chan;318094]I just bought a 2009 Yaris Sedan in January. I am up for my 5000 mile maintenance. I received a coupon from my dealership for:
-oil and filter change=$32.95
-Tire balance/rotation=$57.95
-air conditioning check=$56.17 and
-4-wheel alignment=$99.95

They also offer a 5K Scheduled Maintenance that includes oil/filter change and tire balance/rotation among other inspections for $124.82.

The 2009 Yaris Scheduled Maintenance Guide states to Replace oil/filter, Rotate tires and visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs.

I am thinking of just doing the oil/filter change and tire balance/rotation but I was wondering about a 4-wheel alignment. The Yaris Maintenance Log doesn't say anything about 4-wheel alignment. When do you usually do this?

What about air conditioning check? I just started using it so I don't really think I need it but when do people usually do this?

I'm such a girl when it comes to car stuff. I'm trying to learn. That's why I'm here!!!!!

I want to know what other proud Yaris owners have done at the 5000 mile mark as far as maintenance.

Thanks!![/i have done alignments for 6 years. you should do an alignment every 10,000 15,000 mile
markrg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #23
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Firstly - welcome to YW

Second - you've received the same coupon that someone with 120,000 miles would received. It is not tailored for you and your car personally.

Third - oil change at this point and that is it.

Fourth - the car will tell you when you need an alignment. The steering may pull to one side or the other, the steering wheel is not perfectly centered when driving straight, or the tread on your tires is not wearing evenly across the width of the tire.

When I get pulling, I just go looking for a pothole in the opposite direction.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #24
Yari-Chan

Drives: 2009 4-Door Sedan
Wow!!!! Great news, I just went to the other dealer and they were sooooo nice. They said that all I would need is an oil/filter change and they would do the 25 point inspection and would let me know if I needed tire rotation/balance or an alignment.

They also gave me the oil change for free since it was my first time there and they wanted me to come back.

I didn't need anything else except the oil change so I walked out of there without paying a dime.

The service manager also showed me where the tire jack was (since I didn't know). I didn't know it was under the driver side seat.

Also, my hood was not perfectly aligned so they fixed it for free too. Said it was under warranty.

I've never had such a nice experience at a dealership. I will definitely be returning to them.
Yari-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 AM   #25
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yari-Chan View Post

I didn't need anything else except the oil change so I walked out of there without paying a dime.

The service manager also showed me where the tire jack was (since I didn't know). I didn't know it was under the driver side seat.

I'll bet the next time you go there it will be a lot more than a dime,as for being shown where the jack is have you read any part of the owners manual?if not ,read it.do you actually know how to change a flat tire?Keep asking at the forum for advice as we have some very knowledgeable people here and we dont charge much...Glad everything turned out OK.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
can onyone confirm if the yaris's rear had to be aligned as well..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #27
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
for rotations tire shops always say every 5,000 miles... I rotate my tires more like every 10,000. when your tires are new I don't think it makes a huge difference... but when you start to get low on the tread I think its more important to do the changes more frequently. I've got 33k miles on my car (and tires) right now... and expect them to last until winter... so, at least 40,000 miles. If it doesn't snow here this winter I might be able to get 50,000 out of them.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #28
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
even with new tires, i would still rotate every 5k just to maximize the life...waiting till the tires are getting low on tread is like waiting to apply FE driving tactics on your last bar of gas lol...just seems like too little too late to me...i'm trying to get as much out of my rubber as possible...

on another note, i just had the minor maintenance done...i'm at a bit over 22k and they said the car calls for a 3 point injection cleaning service at 20k (part of which includes throttle body cleaning)...it wasn't that expensive and i've got some loose change hanging around so, i had it done...anyone else have this done at 20k?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #29
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
can onyone confirm if the yaris's rear had to be aligned as well..
If you've had alignment problems, it would be wise to have four wheels alignment. In general the rear usually does not need alignment. Uneven wear will be an indicator, but beware of cheap tires.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #30
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yari-Chan View Post
I just called the Toyota dealership in the Bronx and asked them what they recommend for my 5000 mile maintenance. They said, oil/filter. I asked them about tire/balance and they said they could do both with a 25 point inspection for $29.99!!!!

I called my regular dealership in Rockland County, NY and asked them the same question. Their reply was $124 (as stated above).

I told them what the Toyota dealer in the Bronx was going to charge and they wouldn't budge so I will be doing an oil/filter change with a tire rotation and balance and 25 point inspection for $29.99 in the Bronx.

I am hoping that the quality of service is good since it is a Toyota dealership.
Queens here. Yeah 98% of the people here can't drive for shit.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #31
CrazedEpidemic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Which Bronx dealership was it?

Fordham or Boston Rd?

I usually go to Penn Toyota out on Long Island but they tired selling me a really EXPENSIVE maintenance plan the last time so I don't think I'm going out there for my 25,000 mile oil change.

With the help of the great members on this site you can really avoid getting ripped off!
CrazedEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #32
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
As far as alignments go, there are a few TSBs about alignments and tire pulls. I could see why Toyota would want to check because most people will ignore it for the most part until a tire fails... and then its Toyotas fault they think. The yaris can be aligned in the rear but with shims. Its a dinosaur way but its how its done. There is also a slight problem with the electronic steering rack. Ive noticed mine go off center after the car has been in the air only to return later on. I called my dealership and had it confirmed. I btw have only 3500 miles on my 3dr but have lowered it and am running almost -2 in the front so mines not going into the dealer for that lol. Im also a tech though.

As far as the Yaris is concerned, you need only oil changes, rotations, and fluid/brake/filter checks. Replace what needs replacing and thats it. This car has little to no service needs so dont let the dealer push you around. Its not just tough for the auto industry its tough for us too.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #33
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1 View Post
5k miles should just be oil change and rotation. however, one can certainly opt out of the tire rotation as this would not really affect any truly important warranty issues. i think 5k tire rotations are more often than necessary. however, i do them on my car only becaue i get free tires for life. its only an extra $17 per 5k miles.

anyway, an oil change and tire rotation is only $49.99 at my dealer. $124 for the 5k maintenance is highway robbery.

I've done the tire rotation at the 5k service. Oil changes/filter are free from dealer so just pay tire rotation. Comes to 21$ inc. tax. No other service required.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #34
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I got my 5K service yesterday at my neighborhood oil change place. $40 & change for an oil change and tire rotation. Kept the receipt. I'm not fooling with the dealer unless I have to. They're nice, but they're distant, inconvenient and expensive.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #35
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Fu#%$ng dealer stalled my car 3x and i was there 3x times as well 2x for oil change and one for warranty.. 1x time some dude started my car and did a rabbit kick on it..why the hell would you not check the gear on a manual b4 starting..2x the guy who checking my suspension stalled the car in the middle of the street while were doing a test drive and 3x and foremost a guy who tried to drive my car in for inspection doesnt even know how to drive a stick..so i end up driving it in myself..he said " sorry its been a while " .sigh. so i had it been changing my oil eversince.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #36
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Oil changing is easy. Tire rotation without a lift is a PITA.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote