Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
one of my custom driveshaft builds: (pix)

found an old set of pictures on one of the first "custom" shafts i did at work. this is for an F22 powered AE86 corolla. the original design (not by me) failed and almost punctured through the floor of the car. the second try is what we see below

we start with the CV end from an S2000.. it's made from what we call "propellor" style shafting, small on the ends, larger in the middle. we cannot use this tube because it's metric, and all our tubing is inch. because of the very high RPM requirements, i must step the tube diameter up to 3" .083 wall tube for strength and integrity..

here's how the shaft started out.

i remove the CV end:

and cut the stub off the metric tubing, leaving a little tubing to work with.

then begin welding: (keep in mind, all im' doing is weld on top of weld, slag and crap is not a concern at this point as it gets burned off in the process)

next, chuck the stub up in the lathe

and begin turning.. my target diameter is around 2.85 since i want a press fit into an .083 wall tube

annnd all done cutting:

then i take the stub over to the press, and use good ol hydraulics to force the stub into a piece of 3" tubing:

then cut the tube to length and press on the "other" end. bolt up to the balancer and start welding

all welded, balanced and painted flat black per customer request:

car is making around 500whp and have had no issues to this day. (original work was about a year ago)

C/C welcome
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
welding without gloves is a no-no! ;)

looks awesome, I bet that car flys!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
Tamago

found another pic. this one doesn't have a build log, but it may be more appreciated cuz i have pix of the actual car lol

it's a toyota Supra (2JZGTE) engine, Tremec 6spd (stock twinturbo manual transmission for a supra) mated to a ford 8.8 thirdmember rear end:

and here's the beauty it went in. took 3 separate trophies at HIN miami for this season

one of the cleanest and sickest builds by far that i've ever seen. i have huge respect for RAW (rich auto works) who built this car.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
very sweet! how much do you charge for that kinda stuff. im going to need a custom drive shaft and 4 axles soon.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
very sweet! how much do you charge for that kinda stuff. im going to need a custom drive shaft and 4 axles soon.
all depends. actual fab work if it's a "standard" driveshaft (no machining, etc) i charge $65 for a complete assemble/straighten/weld/balance.

what transmission and rear end?
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
very nice work Tamago. i have the utmost respect for people who create things from scratch and with their hands. so you are saying its strong enough?

do you only do drive shafts? or anything that deals with fabrication.?
i try to fabricate everything i can for my car and others cars. working with metals is one of my passions.

i've only been building driveshafts for a couple years now. aside from my ghetto turbo setup, lately fab work has been pretty slow because of the economy. :(
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
its an evo engine and transmission going into a volvo s40. im not sure if i will have to have them shortened, but i think i will. also they will have to be beefed up for sure. the driveshaft and all 4 axle shafts
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
can you make a laptop mount like this:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=120356014194

how does it attach to the laptop? i'd probably buy an inexpensive camera tripod and build off it.

could be done, but probably not as inexpensive as an ebay product
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
Tamago

Quote:
there is a strap that keeps it to the plate. but i guess yours would be more expensive
mass production usually leads to products that are pennies on the dollar for custom built stuff.. at my $30/hr i charge you'd have yourself a pretty spendy piece.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
yup but you pay for quality dont ya
this is true :)
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #11
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Tamago are you in a machine shop or an autoshop, or both?

if you guys do machining how much do you think a rough cost of something like this would be, to be machined from moderate steel. The size is about 16"x16"

ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
Tamago

unfortunately, my machining capabilities are very limited. i only have two lathes (management sold my vertical milling machine and the welder i used for aluminum, as well as my drill press) so i'd not be able to build the above piece.
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 PM   #13
ka0sx

Drives: bone f*ing stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
unfortunately, my machining capabilities are very limited. i only have two lathes (management sold my vertical milling machine and the welder i used for aluminum, as well as my drill press) so i'd not be able to build the above piece.
thats unfortunate, I am limited to using bandsaws, welders and lathes at home and without a proper mill i cant do it myself and im not about to invest more money that i don't have >,<

thanks.
ka0sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
its an evo engine and transmission going into a volvo s40. im not sure if i will have to have them shortened, but i think i will. also they will have to be beefed up for sure. the driveshaft and all 4 axle shafts
i missed this post. i'd HAVE to see what flange yoke was on the rear end of the Volvo. typically this would be a 3pc shaft if you utilized an evo stock drivetrain (what rear end are you using?) and why can't you use stock axles? the evo axles hold well over 700whp.

anyway, with a core, (basically front two pieces of an evo shaft) i can build you a 2pc conversion (rear half from aluminum, 15.5lbs lighter than stock) for around $700..
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
cool beans, Tamago!

I'm coming down there -- you can build me a roll cage.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
cool beans, Tamago!

I'm coming down there -- you can build me a roll cage.
nah, best go to a certified rollcage shop :)
you nailed it sir.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
welding without gloves is a no-no! ;)

looks awesome, I bet that car flys!
Guilty here!

Good job! Any reason to not just go a commercial route?
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post

Good job! Any reason to not just go a commercial route?
what do you mean a commercial route?
you nailed it sir.