Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #1
Awiechert
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Question My trunk won't open

I have an '07 Yaris hatchback and then hatchback won't open. The keyhole will push in like it is unlocked but will not Open. I don't have a trunk release button so I believe that is the only way to open my trunk. Ideas?
Awiechert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
you're sure it's unlocked?
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
Mine was doing the same thing. I sprayed WD40 inside the lock mechanism and that took care of it. That was at the beginning of summer last year.

It just started happening again, ill have to spray some more.
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #4
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
WD40 isn't a great long term lubricant as it has a lot of solvent content that evaporates over time. It's great for cleaning out a gunked up rear lock, but a better long term product is an aerosol graphite lube or a small amount of a light oil.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
ebaut

Drives: Yaris 09
Sorry for n00b question, but could you define 'Light' oil?
ebaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Something like 3 in 1 oil, or even a light weight engine oil like 5W30 or 5W20 will work fine, just remember not to use too much.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
ptitpiffute

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
Hi Awiechert,

Were you able to fix it with what has been suggested ?Because I've the same issue and from what I read, it might be a broken plastic part...

Cheers

Ptitpif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awiechert View Post
I have an '07 Yaris hatchback and then hatchback won't open. The keyhole will push in like it is unlocked but will not Open. I don't have a trunk release button so I believe that is the only way to open my trunk. Ideas?
ptitpiffute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitpiffute View Post
Hi Awiechert,

Were you able to fix it with what has been suggested ?Because I've the same issue and from what I read, it might be a broken plastic part...

Cheers

Ptitpif
Mine had a broken plastic tab, but it was to return the unlatch lever back to its resting position. The larger plastic tab, I believe, is the one that force is applied to to open the latch. I can definitely see this becoming brittle and snapping off. It's not hard to remove the lock assembly. Getting the tailgate cover off is more of a job.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #9
ptitpiffute

Drives: Yaris RS 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Mine had a broken plastic tab, but it was to return the unlatch lever back to its resting position. The larger plastic tab, I believe, is the one that force is applied to to open the latch. I can definitely see this becoming brittle and snapping off. It's not hard to remove the lock assembly. Getting the tailgate cover off is more of a job.
That's what I read and afraid I had to do :(
Well if I want to be able to open the trunk again, no choice.
The plastic part was easy enough to find 06YarisRS ?

Cheers
ptitpiffute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitpiffute View Post
That's what I read and afraid I had to do :(
Well if I want to be able to open the trunk again, no choice.
The plastic part was easy enough to find 06YarisRS ?

Cheers
Hi ptitpiffute.

The hatch cover is quite easy to take off. All but one of my clips/pins remained in the liftgate steel. I had to remove them without breaking them - which was the hardest part - and then re-insert them into the plastic cover, then the liftgate plastic panel popped right back on.

I got lucky and found the little plastic tab in the bottom of my liftgate. It's definitely worth trying to fix it. If it fails, you can pick up a used, yet functional, lock assembly on eBay, though it would be keyed differently. I saw one for ~ $49.00 a while back. That said, many people have managed to clean theirs and get them working again. I guess they tend to get fouled up and require regular cleaning and lubrication.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
'07, hatchback, won't open