Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
BLOODY_STONE

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris 1.3 sedan
increasing sound insulation?

HAI GUYS
i'm really sick of driving in the HOT & CROWD roads of Egypt ..
I want to increase the sound (and heat if possible) insulation in my babe yaris

Any suggestions? or cheap ideas?
BLOODY_STONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
The cheapest option is a standalone installation of insulation.
For good materials vseravno have to pay.
MickZEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
BLOODY_STONE

k somebody tell me whati should get?
Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I got b-quiet for much cheaper than dynamat on eBay, its by most measurements the exact same material. It takes about 100 sq ft. to do the whole car. You don't have to do solid portions under the rear seat (no vibrations there). Suppose you don't have Home Depot, but dirt cheap rubberized roof insulation material will do the same job.

For heat problems, look into the A/C low pressure return line insulation mod.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
BLOODY_STONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I got b-quiet for much cheaper than dynamat on eBay, its by most measurements the exact same material. It takes about 100 sq ft. to do the whole car. You don't have to do solid portions under the rear seat (no vibrations there). Suppose you don't have Home Depot, but dirt cheap rubberized roof insulation material will do the same job.

Ya i'm studying that mod r8 nw cuz someppl told me it can cause ur compressor to die out shortly!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #6
mhkritzinger

Drives: 1.8 3dr Yaris TS
Quote:

I also am planning to do what you did on your Yaris! Just wanna know if you only put the b-quiet on the outer skin of the door or did you put it on the inside skin and outer skin of the door here the speaker is??
mhkritzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
swidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhkritzinger View Post
I also am planning to do what you did on your Yaris! Just wanna know if you only put the b-quiet on the outer skin of the door or did you put it on the inside skin and outer skin of the door here the speaker is??
I only put it on the outside skin, because I didn't have anything to create a wall to cover the open gaps on the inside. I should probably go fix that.

Just covering the outside makes the door have a "luxury clunk" when it closes.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I thick coat of rubberized undercoating in the wheel wells makes a BIG difference. Very cheap project too!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I just looked on ebay. I wish that b-quiet stuff wasn't so pricey, I don't even put $2.50/sqft flooring in my house, much less something that goes unseen in my car. heh
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
swidd

Then head to Home Depot =)
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
mhkritzinger

can anyone tell me if their is an cheaper alternative to dynamat or b-quiet?? I really wanna do this to my car! and how do you close the holes inside the door? and the rubberizing of the wheel wels what kind of product can i use to do that?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #12
swidd

wheel wells: rubberized undercoating / truck bed rubber spray. Someone also sells a anti-corrosive dense paint that you'd need multiple layers of. As cali_yaris said, it absolutely helps; I've applied more and more to finish off my sound deadening project - it isn't good enough to be the only solution, but fixing the wheel wells make a big difference in tire and rolling noise.

home depot: peel & seal. Anything that looks like it is made of rubber/a tar base dense flexible "asphalt" on one side, with fixed aluminum backing. Should also be pre-glued so it is less mess. Make sure it actually isn't asphalt...
Old 06-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #13
MickZEL

Here are 29 photos on soundproofing.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
mhkritzinger

Quote:
wheel wells: rubberized undercoating / truck bed rubber spray. Someone also sells a anti-corrosive dense paint that you'd need multiple layers of. As cali_yaris said, it absolutely helps; I've applied more and more to finish off my sound deadening project - it isn't good enough to be the only solution, but fixing the wheel wells make a big difference in tire and rolling noise.

home depot: peel & seal. Anything that looks like it is made of rubber/a tar base dense flexible "asphalt" on one side, with fixed aluminum backing. Should also be pre-glued so it is less mess. Make sure it actually isn't asphalt...
Thanx allot!! This helped me allot! So the rubberizing, I just spray it on and that alone will make a huge difference?

I will head to the home depot and get that stuff. will you be able to hear the difference between dynamat and something like this?

THanx for your help! I appreciate it!!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 AM   #15
mhkritzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZEL View Post

Here are 29 photos on soundproofing.
Where are the photos or the link? thanx though!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #16
MickZEL

Quote:
Where are the photos or the link? thanx though!
http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb352/MickZEL/
Old 06-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #17
mhkritzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickZEL View Post
thanx!! awsome photos!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
swidd

Quote:
Thanx allot!! This helped me allot! So the rubberizing, I just spray it on and that alone will make a huge difference?

I will head to the home depot and get that stuff. will you be able to hear the difference between dynamat and something like this?

THanx for your help! I appreciate it!!
The rubber stuff: yes, spray it on the inside of the wheel wells, on the metal thin surfaces that cover the tires (I spray the plastic parts and suspension too, but I'm not doing it right). Be careful not to spray on the exterior paint, but hold the can far enough away to get a nice spread. Shake the can very hard for the specified time - otherwise you just get paint and glue and no rubber. Use rubber gloves or hold the can with a trash bag; it gets messy.

The difference between dynamat and b-quiet or peel and seal is not appreciable. The material is essentially the same, short of a few m.m. difference in thickness. As your stuff will be way cheaper, you can just do double layer in the middle sections of the surfaces you cover. It has nothing to do with the material really - dynamat for $600 isn't magic or superior - it is all about adding mass to prevent the sheet metal from vibrating, while getting a good glue that will permanently stick even in rain, sun, winter and extremes of either. Use a roller to press the stuff into edges and get a good stick. I think good results are more about patient and thoughtful install than thickness of the material. If you want it even more quiet, get foam, like a foam mattress, and stuff it into the door frames.