Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Hoping for a Yellow Jolt

Hi everyone! First post here. I don't have a Yaris yet, but I'm looking for one. A yellow one.

I know it could take a while if I really hold out for yellow. From my research, it was only available in '09 and '10, and I'm only interested in a stick-shift model. According to nationwide listings on Cars.com, the chances that any given 2nd Gen Yaris for sale is a manual Yellow Jolt is 0.095%. I saw one for sale in Tuscon last year, but I wasn't ready for a new car then. There are none for sale currently in the whole country that I can find, and I've searched nearly every Craigslist within a thousand miles.

So, if anyone sees one (or has one) for sale, let me know. I may settle for a blue one eventually, as long as it also has a 60/40 rear seat. I'm not buying a car without color (grey, white, black, no thanks). I like red too, but my current car is red. And the car I had before that was red. And the family van growing up was red. Time for something different.

I love small, simple, efficient cars, and I don't see any other recent cars that beat the Yaris on that front except maybe the Mirage, but I can't get over how ugly they are. The Yaris looks pretty spiffy to me. I hope I can join the club someday.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Good luck with the search. Hopefully a banan--err--yellow one will come your way

Had to give you a hard time for that black is not a color crack. Black is beautiful!

Kidding aside, I hope you find what you're looking for. Great little cars, in any finish.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Shame you insist on manual since I see an automatic available in Avondale. Waiting for a manual is going to be like catching a unicorn.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Black is beautiful... but it's still not a color. I love seeing black cars at shows and auctions, and your car looks awesome, too. When it's perfect, it looks amazing. I know how much work it takes to keep it that way, though. I wouldn't want to own a black car here in Phoenix, with all the dust and the 110°+ weather. SoCal can't be much easier. You must be pretty dedicated.

White and gray/silver are just too common for me. I like to be able to find my car in the parking lot.

There is one yellow for sale right now in Sacramento, and it even has 60/40 seats, but it's an automatic.

There's a curbstoner right near where I live with a manual blue 2012 for sale, but I don't like the 2012 style as much, and, you know, curbstoners...
Old 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Shame you insist on manual since I see an automatic available in Avondale. Waiting for a manual is going to be like catching a unicorn.
You found a yellow one in Avondale? What's it listed on? Oops, found it. Yeah, there are 4 for sale in the whole country right now. All automatic.

There's actually plenty of manual Yarii on the market. Something like 15% of them are stick shift. It's only a matter of time until the right color appears. I just hope it's not 1,000 miles away.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Black is beautiful... but it's still not a color. I love seeing black cars at shows and auctions, and your car looks awesome, too. When it's perfect, it looks amazing. I know how much work it takes to keep it that way, though. I wouldn't want to own a black car here in Phoenix, with all the dust and the 110°+ weather. SoCal can't be much easier. You must be pretty dedicated.

White and gray/silver are just too common for me. I like to be able to find my car in the parking lot.

There is one yellow for sale right now in Sacramento, and it even has 60/40 seats, but it's an automatic.

There's a curbstoner right near where I live with a manual blue 2012 for sale, but I don't like the 2012 style as much, and, you know, curbstoners...
Thank you and yes, I've had several parts resprayed and even still, up close in heavy sun you can see some of the years on her. All in all though, I try to keep her looking crispy.

It's a lot easier than parting with $500+ a month for something new.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #7
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

"Crispy" is a word I'd use to describe my current car's paint job, but not in a good way! I don't think it had ever seen shade before I bought it. Most of the clear is gone on the hood, and the roof has been scorched all the way down to the primer.

I bought it as a beater to learn more about working on cars. There's been lots of learning, alright, and it's actually been a reliable car. It's gotten me to Oregon and back three times, and I always take the back roads, using a different route each time. I'm about ready for something newer, though.

Even a base Yaris has all kinds of luxury features my car didn't have when it was new, like a tilting steering wheel, adjustable headrests, power steering, folding mirrors, a radio, hubcaps, air conditioning, and a powerful 4-cylinder engine to top it all off.

Someone did add air conditioning to my car before I bought it, at least.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
ern-diz

Ha, that's awesome. And you couldn't have picked a better spot to take that pic lol.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #9
CincyC6

Drives: 2008 / 2011 / 2012 Yaris
Just buy one and have it vinyl wrapped whatever color you want it lol
CincyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
^^this
Old 09-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #11
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
wrap repaint color

wrap is so cool when you open a door and see the car's real color
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #12
CincyC6

Drives: 2008 / 2011 / 2012 Yaris
It's a Yaris, let's not get too serious lol
CincyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyC6 View Post
It's a Yaris, let's not get too serious lol
Man, it gets VERY serious. There are some insane Yaris' out there. At the end of the day, it's car culture, regardless of the car. I thought of vinyl wrap, too, but could see how someone might not prefer it.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

I'm not sure how well vinyl would hold up in the sun. Besides, I'm one of the very few people who like a yellow car, apparently. The color's for me, and I'm the one who's going to see those mis-matched doorjambs every time I get in the car. I worked at a body shop for a few years, when I was in college. Details like that bug the heck out of me when they're not right.

The picture I posted was on Highway 62 in the Mojave, 75 miles east of Twentynine Palms. Googling "Rice, CA" will show you the exact spot. No one lives there. There's that husk of a gas station and a couple of burned out buildings. And shoes. Shoes, everywhere.

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 09-20-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Besides, I'm one of the very few people who like a yellow car, apparently.
I've had two yellow vehicles since 1999 but in a more vibrant shade than Toyota had introduced in the Jolt. The second one I actually got rid of a mere 7 weeks ago.

When introduced, many of us YW residents were disappointed in the colour as it often appeared to be faded right from the get-go. Canada didn't get the colour offering at all.

Now if it had of looked like these, I think the uptake would have been greater.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Now if it had of looked like these, I think the uptake would have been greater.
Beautiful
Old 09-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #17
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Yeah, I read through that thread from when it came out, and most people were really disappointed by how not-bright it looked. That bright yellow Yaris looks really good. Is it yours? It looks fast. Bright yellow is a fast color.

The color they actually came out with is not a fast color, but it's a happy color, like something you'd see on an old VW Bus. I still like it.

There's a really interesting graphic here that shows the top five color choices over the past 60 years. I don't think a brighter shade of yellow would have made it any more popular. Very few people buy color at all anymore. I was amazed that green was the #1 color so recently. I love green. Good luck finding a green car anymore.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
There are a few of us on here who have done transmission conversions. On the Yaris it is really not that hard to do, particularly if you can track down a wrecked one to swap the parts over from.

Tags
yellow jolt