Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Any of you lowered guys ever bottom out pretty good?

Just wondering if anyone has some funny or not so funny bottoming out/scraping stories?

I either find myself scraping the lower part of my front bumper on drops in the pavement or on part of the frame under the car behind the front wheels where it's circular and their's a big bolt that goes through it on each side of the car. Makes me cringe when it happens
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
I never have i have the tigertec springs, i have scraped the middle tie bar though
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I haven't had any bottoming out as of yet with my AMR's. The driveway to the house I am renting is like a potato field with unplowed rows so the suspension flexes pretty good. I do have a bottoming out story with the 1983 Tercel 4x4 wagon if you are interested....that was a real hoot!

This is actually in better shape than the one I owned at the time:

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i can't think of a single 'funny' scraping story as it makes me cringe everytime it happens. however, i can tell you i get lots of angry looks/honks from impatient people behind me when i have to slow down to almost a complete stop at practically every speedbump around here. i'm on df210s which aren't as low as coilovers, but are lower than practically any other spring kit out there. i've had to be creative entering/exiting some driveways with steep slopes and once last winter i was basically plowing snow with my front bumper(we had over 10" of snow in one day), but i still say it's worth it for just the major improvement in looks and slight benefit in handling.

oh...and it sounds gross, but roadkill is another thing to watch-out for! i've nailed some pretty big animals(already dead) that the cars in front of me have just cruised over and i couldn't see them until it was too late. can you say quick trip to the power-washer? yuck!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I've managed to break the bolt head off on my megan mid brace. I was going to sell it once, but it's soo horribly beat up now it would probably be worth more as scrap. On a plus side it's stopped most of the bottom of the car from getting damage. I'm using sprint performance springs, dropped the car 2". Portland was a nightmare to drive it, way to many speedbumps everywhere.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Jesus Christ, just these few stories are scaring me to death when I think of lowering.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
OTA'sTOY
DAT'S RIGHT I GOTz 2

Drives: '10 5dr
only the rear deflectors on parking lot speed humps

OTA'sTOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Jesus Christ, just these few stories are scaring me to death when I think of lowering.
well, like i said it just comes down to how much you want that improvement in looks/handling vs. practicality. there are a couple options out there that provide a 'mild' drop(trd, tanabe nf) if you want the better appearance and slightly better handling, but not have to panic whenever you see a major speedbump. i've kept my wife's yaris suspension stock so she doesn't have to think about that kind of stuff, but mine is my toy and i still think lowering is the single best thing you can do appearance-wise to this car. being as small as it is, it just looks funny sitting so high up in the air imho!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Back when I was in high school, Id hit my frame on every speed bump every day. Tired every way I could think of for it not to hit but nothing worked. Checked it every day when I got into shop class, never caused any damage. Pulled a lil paint off but never dented the frame.
I did hit a pothole I didnt see comin in South Carolina pretty dang hard. Slammed the subframe. Took about 1/4 inch off the front of the subframe lol. Didnt screw it up too bad, no warping or anyting. Kinda like I hit it with a huge grinder at 45 haha.

Whats really bad is I only have DF's on my car and want coils.
coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Despite not being able to get in or out of certain parts of parking lots and all, I'd still would never return my yaris to stock height. As soon as I have the $ and a good deal pops up the girlfriends stock 09 is getting lowered by at least an inch.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
edzzzzzzzzzz
NOOB :)

Drives: 2009 5-door hatch daily driver
I lowered mine with sport springs retaining my stock shocks, scrapes badly all over town (jakarta) with 4 people riding in the car.. for all i can say Yaris is quite tough vehicles as no serious damage at all after all these time bottoming out and scrapping my bottom :)

for all its worth I dont think I will ever restore it to stock ride height, driving low is much more fun (arguably) :)
edzzzzzzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Agreed with everyones comments on being way too fun to return to stock.

I'm curious if anyone has a tire that wear out faster than the others? For me
it seems like my passenger side rear tire's edges inside and out, are noticeably
more worn down than any of the other tires. That's including rotations
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #13
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
nope.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:33 AM   #14
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
LOVE stock height myself.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
alch3miss

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Can't say I have- I always try take bumps and awkward driveways slow and sideways
alch3miss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:59 AM   #16
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
just found out my subframe, control arm and sway bar on my drivers side are all bent slightly backwards in comparison to passengers side.

low life problems.

car is higher now and I will not be repairing it as I was quoted just $2000 in labor.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:03 AM   #17
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Wow, 6 year old thread..

Might as well start it up again.

My most recent story is about 2 months ago leaving starbucks early morning on my way to autocross event. I was making my way around the parking lot trying to leave. There was a speed bump right before I needed to make a right hand turn, so I was taking it slow with my coffee in my hand. Car shook a bit more than usual and got a little bit on my pants, was still going but I took my turn a bit too sharp and front tires jumped the curb and my right pinch weld was well placed on the curb where both front and back right tires were off the ground. No traction to drive off. Had to have someone pull my off with my "i" bolt tow hook.. No damage thankfully. If I had a body kit, that would have been destroyed though.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #18
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
just found out my subframe, control arm and sway bar on my drivers side are all bent slightly backwards in comparison to passengers side.

low life problems.

car is higher now and I will not be repairing it as I was quoted just $2000 in labor.
How did you find this out? Did a specific problem resulting from it get you to have it inspected, or was it just found during regular maintenance?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote