Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
what to look out for when installing lowering springs

hey guys, im interested in lowering my car someday for the looks, but im a little confused as to what kinds of issues could arise as a result of the lowering. first of all, assuming everything on the car is stock, if I install lowering springs, how necessary will it be to install a sway bar, or new shocks? will lowering the car drastically increase the damage done to my shocks or should they be fine as stock? how much will a sway bar help?

is lowering the car as simple as buying and installing lowering springs? no need for changes to the suspension, etc?

thanks guys
songa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
songa

oh and also, what lowering springs do you recommend, how much do they drop your car (i dont want to lower it too much as i dont want to bottom out at all), and how much did they cost to buy and install?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I have the Tanabe NF210's on my sedan and I think it still rides great. I have about 45,000 miles on the springs and 65,000 miles total, and I dont see any change in the shocks. Obviously the lower you go the more wear your shocks will feel because they are compressed further down then before, but I wouldnt worry about it. The Tanabe DF210's lower the car further then the NF's. I believe the NF springs lower the car about 1.2 inches and the DF's are around 2 inches I believe. YOu can see the pics in my garage of the car with the NF's.

Not for sure on the price of the Tanabes but I gurantee we have a vendor on here ready to sell a pair to ya. Chris07lb has a great Do it yourself for installing the springs. I followed it word for word with a friend and we had it done in less then 2 hrs. the rear is cake.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 AM   #4
songa

ive heard the tanabe nf210's are good for lowering the yaris sedan under stock suspension. can anyone confirm this?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 AM   #5
songa

hahah u beat me to it. thansk alot man! now my only concern is driving in the snow and not bottoming out. whats your experience with bottoming out in the nf210s? is it easy to avoid if you drive careful? or is it unavoidable in many cases?
Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 AM   #6
songa

damn u have a nice car man! i dont have the S kit, so im hoping that will help with the bottoming out. i like how u kept that car clean and simple. i plan on keeping it clean and simple too. so far i just debadged my car and painted the chrome garnish on the trunk to match the black sand pearl exterior. i plan on tinting the windows, getting new 15" rims and lowering the car in the near future. after that, i may install power locks and maybe fog lights and sway bar futher down the road!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The NF210 is a great, mild drop without worrying about "slamming" the car and having rubbing issues with wheels and tires.

The sedan uses the same springs as the liftback, but more drop occurs because the car is heavier.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the sedan is actually not heavier than the LB. at least, not on paper for 2007.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
I did DF210's and am VERY happy. Used the stock shocks...no issues and no where near bottoming out anywhere. Installation was a BREEZE.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
Chris07lb has a great Do it yourself for installing the springs. I followed it word for word with a friend and we had it done in less then 2 hrs. the rear is cake.
Got a link?

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
songa

hey chupacabra - the DF210's give a pretty large drop, isnt it about a 2" drop? i think thats very good news that you havent had any issues with suspension or with bottoming out, as those are both big concerns for me. but i always thought, especially with these horrible boston roads, that a 2" drop would definitely have me bottoming out alot, also esp with stock suspension. thats why ive been more interested in the NF210's.

how is driving in the winter? i see you live in CT..im in MA so we both endure the same weather...thats another one of my big concerns.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Hey Songa, we have the DF210s on the HB Yaris here in Dorchester. They are fine on the Boston roads as long as you do not hit HUGE potholes.

What i feel is that the car might hit a little harder in regular bumps, but for what it does handling rides if you take corners quick or whip around makes it all worth it...

I have done this install in my backyard in a couple of hours and it is simple...if you are going to attempt it(WHERE GLOVES!)
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
songa

thanks nexus. it seems pretty easy but i am relaly clueless when it comes to car work. i know ill probably have to jack the car up...but what other major tools will i need?
Old 12-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Hey Songa, we have the DF210s on the HB Yaris here in Dorchester. They are fine on the Boston roads as long as you do not hit HUGE potholes.

What i feel is that the car might hit a little harder in regular bumps, but for what it does handling rides if you take corners quick or whip around makes it all worth it...

I have done this install in my backyard in a couple of hours and it is simple...if you are going to attempt it(WHERE GLOVES!)

Don't need glove if you take out the cowl and all the good stuff. Takes and extra 20 minutes but is worth it IMHO. It gives you plenty of room to work and the removal of that stuff is super elementary.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #15
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
+1 made it so much easier to take the cowl out.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #16
RagnaCaT
HacKers WanTed!

Drives: Yaris S HB & Yaris S SD
I got NF's on my SD and it looks great and the ride is perfect my wife actually loves it on the HB went with DF's more of a drop but I really like the SD's NF's more also I tend to bottom out on my HB..
Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
i took the cowl out but slashed my hand on the metal cowl holding plate near the struts....damned car almost got to the bone....

10mm 12mm 16-19mm, spring compressors, allen keys, breaker bar... should be basic tools other than the spring compressors, but i didnt even need them....just move your face from the bolt while removing it
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 PM   #18
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
i took the cowl out but slashed my hand on the metal cowl holding plate near the struts....damned car almost got to the bone....

10mm 12mm 16-19mm, spring compressors, allen keys, breaker bar... should be basic tools other than the spring compressors, but i didnt even need them....just move your face from the bolt while removing it
That's what I mean...you need to remove that. Remove the cowl, wiper motor and metal lower cowl. Only takes an extra 20 mins but is all the difference in the world. You can work free and clear.