Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #487
rhaagusa

Drives: 2010 yaris sedan
Got it. Doesn't look to hard. With gratitude, RH
rhaagusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #488
yarismadness

Drives: Yaris 2007 hatchback 5 doors
Reusing the chutch switch to turn off the cruise

Guys,

I had I idea, and i need your opinion before trying it.

The yellow wire on the clutch switch that blocks the start (i am talking about the one on the bottom, not the additional we should add to stop the cruise), has normally (when released) 12V, high impedance (my guess is a pull up resistor inside the ECU). when pressed (the clutch needs to go to the bottom), that line goes near 0V (pulled down by the starter relay coil).

What if we sense that in order to stop the cruise? For example, a mosfet transistor will do the job perfectly.

The problem: the cruise will disable ONLY if the clutch is COMPLETELY pressed. What will happen during the clutch travel?
Cheers!
yarismadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #489
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarismadness View Post
Guys,

I had I idea, and i need your opinion before trying it.

The yellow wire on the clutch switch that blocks the start (i am talking about the one on the bottom, not the additional we should add to stop the cruise), has normally (when released) 12V, high impedance (my guess is a pull up resistor inside the ECU). when pressed (the clutch needs to go to the bottom), that line goes near 0V (pulled down by the starter relay coil).

What if we sense that in order to stop the cruise? For example, a mosfet transistor will do the job perfectly.

The problem: the cruise will disable ONLY if the clutch is COMPLETELY pressed. What will happen during the clutch travel?
Cheers!
I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the engine will rev up. disengaging the clutch will slow the car, which the ecu will see and will give it more gas to try to maintain speed. most of the time you do not floor the clutch (which would be required for this to disengage the cruise). I personally would not like this solution...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #490
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
^Exactly. The starting clutch switch and the cruise clutch switch have exactly opposite purposes. The starting one is a "safety" which wants to see the clutch fully depressed and the cruise one cancels cruise mode to prevent revving as soon as the clutch is touched. The OEM clutch switch is under $20, so it's really not worth looking for an alternative solution.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #491
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
How is everyone running the wire from D3 to the ECM connector A21?
Last night I tried to follow the conduit of wires running from the ECM in the engine bay without much luck. I didn't want to have to rip apart the engine bay to find out where it goes. I really feel like I'm missing something silly!
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #492
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
How is everyone running the wire from D3 to the ECM connector A21?
Last night I tried to follow the conduit of wires running from the ECM in the engine bay without much luck. I didn't want to have to rip apart the engine bay to find out where it goes. I really feel like I'm missing something silly!
The easiest way is to enter the rubber grommet above the ECM or the one below it (which is actually the grommet around the AC drain hose). Then, once you are through the firewall on the passenger side, you can bring the wire across to the driver's side.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #493
mgoldhawk

Drives: 2001 Toyota Yaris
Would I be able to fit cruise control to my Yaris using the same method? I have a 2001 5door hatchback...
mgoldhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #494
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldhawk View Post
Would I be able to fit cruise control to my Yaris using the same method? I have a 2001 5door hatchback...
No. 1999-2005 Yaris used a cable throttle, rather than an electronic one like 2006 and newer ones have. So, 1st gen Yaris require an electro-mechanical cruise control system.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #495
mudnuri

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Actually, I thought I had factory cruise control but that sounds like what I have, which I now suspect is a Rostra Precision Controls Inc. aftermarket set-up...does it look like this?

Plus, if that is aftermarket, what does the factory set-up look like?

BTW, the Rostra has been discussed before...
I put that CC in my '09 at 4000 miles and used it with fairly good results for a while. At about 73000 miles it gave me full throttle and tried to kill us! I turned the key off and stopped on the side of the road to change my underwear. When I restarted the car it reved again. Thinking it was just a fluke, I disconnected the battery, waited, reconnected the battery and then drove it without issue to 97000 miles when I started getting throttle codes and car going into limp mode at random. Last Monday the damn thing tried to rev agian! Removed death trap Rostra junk and all is fine. Now I have added the new stock you are all using... Still need to add a few wires to the ECM plugs as my Yaris is a base mod. If you see one of these old Rostra Aftermarket stocks RUN! They were recalled but I never did get my cash back.

Update: As soon as I added the clutch switch it all worked great. I can set CC as low as 23 mph (speed as read by ScanGuage from ECM)

Last edited by mudnuri; 11-30-2013 at 12:30 AM.
mudnuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #496
Paulee

Drives: 09 yaris s five dr stick
Hey guys. Got myself an 09 Yaris recently and want to add the cruise. Ordered the OEM stalk from China and was wondering if I will need a clutch switch too. I know the guide says I do but shouldn't the car already have one? havent tried starting it without pressing the clutch in (force of habit) but the switch should prevent the car from rolling forward on the starter no?

apologize in advance if this was already covered elsewhere.

-Paul
Paulee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #497
Secretblend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulee View Post
Hey guys. Got myself an 09 Yaris recently and want to add the cruise. Ordered the OEM stalk from China and was wondering if I will need a clutch switch too. I know the guide says I do but shouldn't the car already have one? havent tried starting it without pressing the clutch in (force of habit) but the switch should prevent the car from rolling forward on the starter no?

apologize in advance if this was already covered elsewhere.

-Paul
It does have a switch that tells the car you are pressing the clutch all the way in. It is not same switch that you would need to install that tells the car your clutch is all the way out.

the two switches would be on opposite side of clutch. If clutch is fully engaged the one switch would be used. If clutch is not engaged at all, other switch would be used. If clutch is halfway between then both switch would not be used.
Secretblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #498
Paulee

thanks. since posting I went through all the pages and some associated links. Think I have a good grip on what to do. just waiting for my stalk to arrive. might skip the clutch switch for now and drive around it. sounds like I dont have to dig under the dash and engine bay if I do save it for never.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #499
Secretblend

Quote:
thanks. since posting I went through all the pages and some associated links. Think I have a good grip on what to do. just waiting for my stalk to arrive. might skip the clutch switch for now and drive around it. sounds like I dont have to dig under the dash and engine bay if I do save it for never.
For me, the wiring was tied down by wire tie just above the clutch.. Cut the wire tie and pull wiring down and there it is ready to plug into the switch.

By my logic, If you don't have switch installed, the car will be thinking the clutch is not engaged and therefore cruise control won't turn on.

If I am wrong and it works, just be careful cause if you have CC engaged and you press down on clutch, the engine will rev up quickly and could damage engine if you leave it revving long enough.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #500
Paulee

U got a hatch or sedan? Next chance i get i check for the plug
Old 11-09-2015, 11:17 PM   #501
Secretblend

Quote:
U got a hatch or sedan? Next chance i get i check for the plug
Sedan.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:04 PM   #502
Paulee

got my CC installed today and loving it. Best $20 I spent. Still haven't got the clutch switch kit yet so had to jump the connector for it to work and yes, the revs jump when u step on the clutch with the cruise set. overall pretty simple install tho.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:57 PM   #503
mumairr

Drives: Toyota Vitz 2010
My Vitz 2010 model already has wiring upto ECM (saw it by removing the cover behind the steering )but my cluster doesn't have any indicators for CC. Do you think if i install OEM CC, my car would be able to handle it? irrespective of the indication on the cluster? if this is the case, i might change my insturmenet cluster.
mumairr is offline   Reply With Quote