Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
Custom tags and custom vinyl

I just put on a set of custom plates on both my Toyota Yarises. NX13SC1 and NX13SC2. Black frame with smoke colored protecters to make the tags better match the color of the Meteoric Metallic paint. Plus the smoke colored plastic is supposed to be UV protective. My personal tags are Star Trek inspired in case you have not alreadly guess that.

I noticed how off center the front plates are installed. The front tag hangs down in front of the lower grill. I am concerned that the tags will be pulled off by one of those car wash machines. Has any one tried to reinstall the front plates up higher to get rid of that over hang?

Plus I just placed an design request on custom vinyl trim inspired by the shuttle pods used on the Star Trek Enterprise. CUSTOM TRIM OF AMERICA, INC in Akron is the company I have requested a price quote on doing one or both my Toyota Yarises. Hopefully doing both Yarises in sequience will get me a small reduction in price. I am replacing the POD 1 with SC1 in 3 inch lettering. I am replacing NX-01 with NX-13. I am replacing ENTERPRISE with ASHERAH. In case you have not guessed my second Yaris will have SC2 lettering on the side to match the custom tags.

I hope to have one of my Toyota Yarises vinyl trim finished by the 21th. The custom tags will help me find my Yaris in the middle other the Yarises at the Ohio meet on the 22th. The old tags were too booring for me to try to remember them.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
You are going to post pics when this is all done right???

As far as the tag goes, I don't think the front bumper comes pre-drilled with mounting holes. The dealership puts it on and most likely eyeballs it when they do. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if the old holes will be visible when you reposition the tag. It would suck to have to patch and paint just to move a tag.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
You are going to post pics when this is all done right???

As far as the tag goes, I don't think the front bumper comes pre-drilled with mounting holes. The dealership puts it on and most likely eyeballs it when they do. The only thing you need to be concerned about is if the old holes will be visible when you reposition the tag. It would suck to have to patch and paint just to move a tag.
Do you think I would wait that long to post photos? Start photos. Next comes photos after moving the front personalized plates up a inch. I think the front bumper had bumps to show the dealer were to mount the plates.

There is a hot and air quality warning for this area. Today I went out and bought the Bell back plates, Custom Cruiser security screws with black screw covers. By the time I got back it was too hot to move the plates.

I may be able to reuse the old holes to mount Bell's back mount plate. The old holes will be covered up. Hopefully Bell's back mount plate will prevent salt build up behind the personalized plates. The old front plate had stuff built up behind the tag causing rust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom tags basic installation 002a.jpg (161.7 KB, 290 views)

Last edited by ellenbetty; 08-17-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I can tell you I know for a fact that car washes will not pull off your front plates where they sit. There are bumps where you are supposed to screw in front plates. Also the plural form of Yaris is "Yarii" not Yarises. You cars will definately be different when they are done
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
I can tell you I know for a fact that car washes will not pull off your front plates where they sit. There are bumps where you are supposed to screw in front plates. Also the plural form of Yaris is "Yarii" not Yarises. You cars will definately be different when they are done
Since my second Yaris came from the factory red, that is alreadly true.

If you saw how the Custom Cruiser cover with black frame limits how deep the screws set in the plastic outside of the bumper, you would worry about the plates being pulled off by car wash when held by just 2 screws. That is why I am buying the Bell back mount. The plate which has places for 4 screws in the mounting base and 4 places for screws to mount the tags to the mounting base. Those heavy cloth brushers can slap the front of the car quite hard. I have those heavy cloth brushes shake a car as light weight as a Yaris.

I read some where that Toyota was asked what the plural of Yaris and Toyota responded with Yarises. If true, I question which language Yarii would be the proper plural spelling for Yaris. Any one with a PHD in English wish to settle this discussion? I question that Yarii would be proper spelling in English.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 08-17-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Ok SORRY!!! Yarii is the accepted plural here
Old 08-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Ok SORRY!!! Yarii is the accepted plural here
Ask me if I care. Not. Yarii seem to me a lazy person's way to get out of typing 2 additional letters and avoiding one additional finger movement.

Here are photos of what the front tags look like when moved up. Using Bell's back mount plate helped me to move the tags up while using the top screw holes. Notice how the security screws are now covered with black plastic covers. Back plates redo tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moved front plates 002a.jpg (75.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg moved front plates 001a.jpg (83.5 KB, 236 views)

Last edited by ellenbetty; 08-17-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #8
advocate

Drives: car
But now you've got a bigger problem. You have to read the entire license plate down to the last character to be able to tell the two yarii apart =)
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
But now you've got a bigger problem. You have to read the entire license plate down to the last character to be able to tell the two yarii apart =)
Boy are you lazy to gripe about having to read the whole tag, . For those as lazy as advocate is try skimming to the end of the tag. Besides I never learned my last set of tags. These tags are easier for me to remember.

The back tags are done. I also replaced the fake sheep seat covers on my second Yaris, (Fake sheep seat cover bought by my Mom. Second set stored in my closet. What a shopaholic). Fake sheep skin clashed with the Meteoric Metallic color.

Last edited by ellenbetty; 08-18-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

My custom graphics have been installed. I could have tried to do it myself. But with the problems I am having installing the fog lamps, I figured the job would look a lot better if done by a experenced vinyl installer. My first Yaris was done Wensday morning. My second Yaris was done this morning. I decided to wait until both of my Yarises were done to take the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg custom vinyl 002a.jpg (162.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg custom vinyl 006a.jpg (140.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg custom vinyl 007a.jpg (143.6 KB, 137 views)