Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #19
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Bump for last question. Also is there any variation in toyota coolants? Or is it all the exact same stuff?
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #20
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
Bump for last question. Also is there any variation in toyota coolants? Or is it all the exact same stuff?
There have been other variants of the Toyota long life coolant, but I believe that if you walk into the parts department today they only sell the "Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant"
Old 11-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #21
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There have been other variants of the Toyota long life coolant, but I believe that if you walk into the parts department today they only sell the "Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant"
I was there a couple weeks ago to get the coolant when I did my flush. They only offered me the diluted super long life pink really expensive stuff. I asked for a concentrated pure version and they came out of the back with the red long life coolant that I mixed deionized water with. Apparently the red coolant isn't "recommended" for my car, the water turned it pink so I was happy and my car is too.

The picture posted from the amazon ad looks almost identical to the one I purchased from the dealership. My container was black and said "Toyota Long Life" but it didn't have the image of the radiator on it

According to various online sources the pink is good for 50,000miles once the original coolant is changed out. The red is good for 30,000Miles or so. I'll likely change every 50,000km or every 3 years or so. The info online regarding the red coolant is a bit mixed but due to the crazy temperature extremes where I live I change the coolant every 50,000km anyways so no sense in spending the extra on the pink diluted stuff.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #22
BennyLava

Sounds like the red and the pink are actually the same stuff.

So I should just get distilled water to mix it with, from the grocery store? Why shouldn't I just use tap water?
Old 11-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #23
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:

So I should just get distilled water to mix it with, from the grocery store? Why shouldn't I just use tap water?
Distilled water is mineral free. Tap water may have a significant mineral content, which is why distilled is recommended. My well water has negligible mineral content, so I personally never bother with distilled.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #24
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:

No, technically they are different coolants. Red is missing the ingredient Sabacic acid (sp) which allows it to go longer without change interval. Hence the super long life pink versus long life of the red. Other than that they are essentially the same and can be used intechangable in Toyota vehicles (even the ones that they say pink is the only "recommended". However take note that you have a relatively shorter life on the red. I believe the difference is 50k versus 30k (miles) for the pink and red respectively
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #25
BennyLava

Thanks all so much for all the help!

Every time I come here I learn a lot!