Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #289
mkaresh

Drives: Mazda Protege5
We've updated our reliability stats for the Yaris to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2010 Yaris: 22, low, small sample size
2009 Yaris: 34, low, very small sample size
2008 Yaris: 33, low
2007 Yaris: 21, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2008 Yaris: 78, < 1
2007 Yaris: 87, < 1

We'll have further updates in November and next February. The more owners participate, the more model years we can cover and the more precise these stats will be.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Toyota Yaris reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 10-06-2016, 02:08 AM   #290
07liftback

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
07 Yaris hatchback, no issues other than rear hatch struts getting "lazy" and the battery replacement after 8 years. Oh and the extremely musty smell in the vents regardless of changing out the cabin air filter. Heard you're supposed to spray bleach into the vents or into the vent tube thing. Also, the vents seem to let outside air into the cabin too easily.
07liftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #291
snowsquirrel

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5dr LB
hi mkaresh,
I drive a 2008 5dr HB, bought it in Aug 2016 @ 205,000 KM, rear shocks started leaking, so replaced them with OEM parts at 206,000 KM. Also replaced the LCA bolts.

Not aware of any other issues, except the original FB battery may be on it's last leg, radio starts to reset on morning starts.
snowsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #292
fj40dave

Drives: '08 HB
198K on my '08.....replaced the usual stuff (tires, front/rear strut/shocks, brakes, bulbs, wipers, belt, and battery when I killed the orrig).
Amsoil and regular gas....commuter....AMAZING car!!
fj40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #293
RichardPan

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
I drive a 2007 Sedan base model. 133,000 km so far. Bought it when it's just a bit over 4 years old. I'm in Ottawa, Ontario, where it does get cold and roads are salted. Experienced the ABS sensor error. Cost $1000+ to fix, not covered by warranty. Other than that, just the brakes, front pipe gasket, etc. The usual.

Original battery was replaced at 6.5 years, at the suggestion of Canadians. OEM tires had cracks (dry rot) when I bought them, so replaced it. Other than a flat, never been stranded by this car.

Oh, no noticeable engine oil consumption. Currently running 5w20, as filled by dealership, for past 2 OCI. Other times, 5w30 at Canadian Tire.

Last edited by RichardPan; 01-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.
RichardPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #294
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
2006 Hatchback. 5 door. 1KR engine, 5MT, 122,000 miles. I've had the car since 2011 and its been in my family since 2007.

Had a minor issue with noise from a rear door lock fixed under warranty. Also had the drivers electric window switch reprogrammed by the dealer around the same time because it acted weird sometimes. No issues with either systems since. I had the water pump fail in 2013 at around 75,000 miles (i think) was really bad for weeks. Original battery died not long after. Didn't cause me any great inconvenience. Alternator voltage regulator started acting up at around 88,000 miles. Had the alternator replaced. Other than that its been servicing. A few bulbs. An exhaust. The exhaust was actually the biggest bill I've had.

In August it took me 7000 miles to the Nordkapp and back.

I think i might replace one of the CV boots next year. I also think my clutch has seen better days. Oil burning currently stands at around 500ml every 1000 miles. I might do something about it when its more than a litre every 1000. Also think its running a little lean. I'm happy to keep it running.
zoidberg444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #295
mkaresh

Drives: Mazda Protege5
We've updated our reliability stats for the Yaris to include owner experiences through September 30, 2016. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2010 Yaris: 27, low, small sample size
2009 Yaris: 27, low, very small sample size
2008 Yaris: 25, low
2007 Yaris: 20, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2008 Yaris: 73, < 1
2007 Yaris: 85, < 1

Additional participants always helpful, especially for years without stats or with small sample sizes.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Toyota Yaris reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 02-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #296
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Hi Michael,

Just registered my Canadian 2007 2dr HB on your website.

Did a fair amount of browsing in the reliability section and I still find the results confusing, especially regarding the ratio of "trip per 100 car" and how many cars are in the sample. For instance, most models actually have only 26~29 car sample size, yet they would get a first class rating of between 20 and 30 trips per 100 cars. Does it mean that only 30% of the 30 sample cars have had repair trips or that 30 of them have had one and since you don't have 100 cars sample yet, you don't extrapolate ?

Also, why aren't there any Yaris from 2010 to 2017 ? I can't believe you haven't received a single registration from a Yaris of these model year ?

And when you display the "best to worst" repair per 100 car ratio gauge, you should indicate what was the least number of trip for the involved year and what was the most. Because when you look at the cars that have the worst rating, you'd think they'd fall apart as soon as you stare at them, while in fact they may have only 5 more trips than the first few best ones.

Based on 10 years of data collection, I wouldn't feel confident yet using TrueDelta to guide me in any way into choosing a used car. Of course there are a few models that do happen to have enough data to them to help making a decision (in particular the 2004 Chevy Malibu, which according to your data, would be the worst model year to buy, or the Pontiac Vibe/Matrix that would be a very good choice).

Looking out my window, I can see 5 Yaris HB second gen in my street, which is one of the most common car here in Montreal. I could head out and ask my fellow Yaris owner neighbour to go on your site and you'd probably get 4 out of the 5 that would gladly fill in the data. However if you don't do any large promoting of your website to everyday car drivers, they'll never know about it. Just printing out flyers and spending a few hours a day distributing them downtown on parked cars would be inexpensive and very effective, less costly than any media advertising and would reach a lot more potential users (especially if you target the model years that you're lacking the most data about).

Because honestly, signing up and filling in was beyond easy and quick, so I don't think that's what stopping you from getting data.

Kudos on the archive for equipment and specs of the vehicles, I've been searching ever since I bough mine january last year for a list of equipment and standard/optional features the 2007 2dr HB was available with. Even the dealer couldn't have anything older than 5 years back. However I assume that it's only showing what was offered in the USA ? As I definitively know that AC was a standard feature on the 2007 Yaris here (it is listed as standard on your site), and some Canadian equipment wasn't listed either (like the PTC heater on the cabin air radiator, available only with the winter package). I do understand that compiling and gathering precise and complete manufacturer data for over 10 years of all makes and models is a lot of man hours and can be confusing depending on the region and country differences in offering, so I give you (and your team ?) a lot of credit for taking the time and money to accomplish this.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #297
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Very interesting that the drive by wire effects automatics noticably as well.
Sometimes that gas pedal feels like I'm in a rocket ship with no power modulation, sometimes it's like my tires are filled with concrete. I never tried a Yaris with manual transmission, but my guess would be that I'd stall like a noob more than a Subaru with a grabby clutch.

One benefit of the electronic throttle is acceleration take-over on cruise control in the highway. You don't have to floor the pedal to actually make the car go faster because the pedal "home" position will already be close to the speed you're cruising at. In short, on long drives when you set the CC on and take off your shoes, you only need a push of the toes to go from 120km/h to 140km/h for the passing.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote